Options

hey paco. what's your opinion on this?

exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
edited September 2003 in Musicians and Gearheads
http://www.yorkville.com/products_main.asp?cat=18&id=208&type=32&show=

canadian made traynors. i tried one last night. nice little amp.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    i know it's no orange but.....
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I like them. Nice tone for the money and they are well built. I think much better than the cheap fender and marshall stuff.

They sound similar to the Peavy Classic tubes if I remember correctly but they are nice little amps just like they say.

It depends on what tubes you like too.

El-84's tend to be chimy while the 6L6 and 6V6 versions are more rounded and full bodied like a Fender Deluxe.

They make their own speakers right?
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    they may. this one's got a celestion in it though.
  • Options
    I'd like to hear one with a webber or tone tubby.

Are you going to buy one?

I kind of want a THD Univalve now that I'm in an apartment and I need the Attenuation.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    i'm thinking about it.

depending on how much my noise problem costs me. if i have to move back upstairs, there's no point.

i have a THD hotplate on the deluxe for attenuation. i found it worked great on the 4/8/12 settings. even 16 is ok. as soon as you twist off from 16 to infinity though, you lose tone.

i used to use 8 when i played shows in bars and it was perfect.
  • Options
    yeah I hear the Dr Z airbrake is cool too.

The fact Traynor is canadian must be why we don't see many of those around here, never heard anything bad about them though.
  • Options
    i don't know if they always were. yorkville owns the name now though.

they keep getting raves. it kicked the hell out of the fender blues junior i tried.

for $450US it's a pretty good deal. closest thing to a proper class A i'll ever get to again.
  • Options
    ok the biggy here is that fender makes crap under a certain price.

The traynors are built stronger and you can get more tone, the blues junior is really not that great in terms of over all sound. Too much reverb wash not nearly enough clarity.

Do the traynors have a tube Rectifier? because that adds a lot of bounce to the amp that I love just a tiny bit of compression
  • Options
    rectifier emulation.

welcome to the price difference between this and a true class A.
  • Options
    ah, but you are an engineer my friend. You can simply mod the circuit to allow for a rectifier eh?
  • Options
    i'm scared to open an amp. i'll end up killing myself. i don't have any electrical training.

i'm lucky i understand basic guitar wiring.
  • Options
    puremagicpuremagic Posts: 1,907
    Originally posted by exhausted
    i'm scared to open an amp. i'll end up killing myself. i don't have any electrical training.

i'm lucky i understand basic guitar wiring.

Thats what co-workers, beer and card game are for. Invite them over for a game and get a job done free. People love to show what they know.
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
  • Options
    ah. i'm just daydreaming anyway. unless i was in a band, i wouldn't need another amp. i really need to cut up my credit cards.
  • Options
    ah. i'm just daydreaming anyway. unless i was in a band, i wouldn't need another amp. i really need to cut up my credit cards.

Your probably right, builder's fever maybe taking control of you.
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
  • Options
    builder's fever.
    cocooning from the world.

whatever you want to call it. :)
  • Options
    builder's fever.
    cocooning from the world.

whatever you want to call it. :)

You have to much to accomplished within a short period of time. Cocooning is out of the question.
  • Options
    I think it is probably a healthy fear of the inside of amps, remember the caps hold 300V DC plate voltage for hours after they are off, you can really hurt yourself.

However there are people who hate Tube Rec's (obviously not us) like Michael Soldano, he thinks they wear out and are to easily broken, same with VHT. THD also makes a reactive rectifier to fit in the tube slot to provide a little more durability hopefully offering the same tone as a tube.

basically I can't afford but one amp. I saved up for a long time and bought what I wanted I hate owing people money.

We will never have all that we want but I think I just love to window shop.

For now if I had the right woman my life would be perfect.
  • Options
    i was playing last night and now that i can actually turn the deluxe up to 5 and find the clean/breakup line, i'm very happy with it. what remains to be seen is if i can get a decent tone from it onto tape (well, hard disk).
  • Options
    yeah I know exactly the sound you are talking about around 5 on the deluxe and Vibrolux they have this beautiful bouncy harmonic rich just barely broken up clean and it's like butter.

plug a 335 in at that sound and let the blues licks fly. It's the sound so many search for.

Mike it fairly close with the concrete floor and adjust to taste the sound should come through on the tape fairly well.