Parking in NYC

Hail Hail, 
First time coming to NYC, on Sunday, driving from Toronto. Have a hotel to stay at, reputable, kinda close to venue. Apparently a flat rate , but near MSG, worried about gridlock...apparently you have serious traffic problems there, not sure if you're aware ;)  I am reading on social, says to park outside of area and cab it in. ANY advice would be greatly appreciated.
TIA, Pete

Comments

• AlaGAlaG Posts: 976
    Leave your car at the hotel and take the subway everywhere. If you’re staying in downtown NYC, there is no reason to drive. Walking is faster.
  • URthekeyURthekey Posts: 1,763
    It’s 9/11 so expect early morning traffic to be heavier than a normal Sun morning. Especially downtown.
  • Take the subway as mentioned above or take a cab.  They are very easy to find in Manhattan.
  • Hail Hail, 
    First time coming to NYC, on Sunday, driving from Toronto. Have a hotel to stay at, reputable, kinda close to venue. Apparently a flat rate , but near MSG, worried about gridlock...apparently you have serious traffic problems there, not sure if you're aware ;)  I am reading on social, says to park outside of area and cab it in. ANY advice would be greatly appreciated.
    TIA, Pete
    Yes serious traffic and gridlock a real possibility. Get parked at your hotel if they have a spot for you and don’t move your car for the duration of your visit. Take subway/cab everywhere or get your sneakers on and hoof it everywhere. Enjoy! 
  • No real traffic in the city on sundays..parking is easiest on su days before brunch time ...9/11 will have alot more people in city but most use mass transit 
  • HailHailVitalogyHailHailVitalogy Posts: 5,128
    edited September 2022
    There’s only one, maybe two, self service parking lots in Manhattan south of Central Park. I usually park at 43rd and 9th. It’s between 9th and 10th.
    I do that because waiting for your car from valet can sometimes take forever

Download the SpotHero app. It’s cheaper and you can pay through your phone. I would say tomorrow the further you get to lower Manhattan the more the shitshow. But parking rates will be high all weekend.

If I don’t self park, I usually find good deals between 13th and 20th street on 8th ave or on the east side of Manhattan. Just look on SpotHero. I park for Ranger and Knick games a lot
    Post edited by HailHailVitalogy on
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • 1STmammal2wearPants1STmammal2wearPants Posts: 2,936
    edited September 2022
    Hail Hail, 
    TIA, Pete
    If you're in town for a couple of nights or so, and like others have said, the subway is so efficient, cheap and runs all day to Manhattan and the outer boroughs (In other words, it's not like Boston whose train cars close down early and/or catch fire). 
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • I think parking in Secaucus nj is 32 dollars a day. Train to Penn/msg is there
  • Mikemzl91 said:
    I think parking in Secaucus nj is 32 dollars a day. Train to Penn/msg is there
    U can park for free in the west village on the street..take train 2 stops to msg
  • Also, if you don’t drive in the northeast and nyc a lot, I’d say definitely park and take public transit. 

People are assholes here, (myself included). Pedestrians walk whenever, even when lights are green, cabs switch lanes whenever, even when lights are red, and bicycles ride wherever no matter what color the lights are. Only the horse drawn carriages follow the rules, slowing traffic behind them to a crawl. 

All this is say, I love my town! 

Apollo in a few hours, holy shit. 
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,933
    Also, if you don’t drive in the northeast and nyc a lot, I’d say definitely park and take public transit. 

People are assholes here, (myself included). Pedestrians walk whenever, even when lights are green, cabs switch lanes whenever, even when lights are red, and bicycles ride wherever no matter what color the lights are. Only the horse drawn carriages follow the rules, slowing traffic behind them to a crawl. 

The only upside is that no one can legitimately complain about your driving when they just cut off  someone else five seconds earlier. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• stickmanstickman Posts: 1,008
    do you have a hotel room in the city ? If so, park in New Haven or Stamford train station and take the metro north into Grand Central Station like a champ ! Your going to see Pearl Jam at MSG !!!!  I am not a NYC expert bet I have been going into the city on metro north for 30+ years,  you won’t regret it.  DM me if you want more into. 
  • AlaGAlaG Posts: 976
    on2legs said:
    Also, if you don’t drive in the northeast and nyc a lot, I’d say definitely park and take public transit. 

The only upside is that no one can legitimately complain about your driving when they just cut off  someone else five seconds earlier. 
    Oh, but they will!

The funny thing to me is that people even care about lane cutters in NYC. Nobody is going anywhere fast and it’s happening times 100 for miles and miles ahead of them in the same lane that they’re in.
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,933
    Oh they can complain.  But it’s not legitimate.  Definitely a survival of the fittest exercise. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,286
    Spot Hero/ Got $28 parking from 5 to midnight 0.2 miles from MSG
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!