Missing You at MSG (Play Breath for EB)

I guess when its been 30 years so many of us have suffered losses whole being part of this community, and it seems like its now something we can talk about.  The band was probably ahead of a lot of us in how open they are in that respect.  The songs, and the bands words at shows and in interviews - its amazing the comfort this community and this music has provided me even when I didn't know I needed it.  

The first time I saw Pearl Jam live was at Randall's Island.  It felt like that show could never happen.  First there were so many years without a tour.  Then the show sold out so quickly, and even then it was such a novel venue and hard to get to  But my brother (all of 13 at the time) and I joined the fan club and one day the tickets just showed up with no acceptance email or fanfare.  And my dad - having seen so many of the band's influences live through the years, was all too happy to drive my brother and me, park in the middle of a field, witness an unbelievable show with us, and barely even give us a hard time when it took a full hour to find the car after.  For my brother and I this was a dream come true - he had even had an "Eric Jam" themed Bar Mitzvah complete with Eric Jam shirts.  Sorry about any copyright issues.  It was the first of many many shows, for the 3 of us, for my brother and I, for my dad and I.  (And 1 or 2 for my dad without us).   Such a good dad.  

These shows were mind-blowing, life changing, and bond-strengthening.  They were excuses for road trips, weekends away and that 1 or 2 days every few years where we could say hey, we are seeing Pearl Jam (together), so everything else has to wait.  

My dad and I will be at the Garden Sunday, but Eric won't be.  At the start of 2019 we found out he had a rare form of cancer in his appendix.  It sounds like something you would make up.  Still I got that call from him - they are playing the Garden - I can use your other Ten Club ticket right?  I hoped we would get that 2020 show, so that everything else could wait on hold that one night.  The more hopeful part of me wondered if there could be a cure, and a Pearl Jam show in Europe to celebrate.  A surprise trip to celebrate good news.  It never came though, and we lost Eric in the middle of Covid and all of the other chaos, in early 2021.  He was my funny, loving, amazing brother and a wonderful father and husband just like his dad.  He hated being the center of attention but somehow loved being the one to bring everyone together.  He loved these shows, and meeting random people on line or on the way back tot he hotel.    

My dad and I are so looking forward to this show.  So mostly I want to say thanks to the band, and to the people who have written posts and shared their own stories like this, and to put this out in the world.  Eric was there to see the band play Breath way back all those years ago in this very venue, and just maybe if you play it again with my dad and I there he will know. 

Comments

• steven87steven87 Posts: 1,442
    So sorry to hear about your brother. It’s so sad that he won’t be there to join you and your dad at the garden. But hopefully you can use the show as a way to celebrate his life and all of the good times you got to enjoy together at PJ. Really hope they dedicate breath to your brother. 
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,688
    RB13518 said:

I guess when its been 30 years so many of us have suffered losses whole being part of this community, and it seems like its now something we can talk about.  The band was probably ahead of a lot of us in how open they are in that respect.  The songs, and the bands words at shows and in interviews - its amazing the comfort this community and this music has provided me even when I didn't know I needed it.  

The first time I saw Pearl Jam live was at Randall's Island.  It felt like that show could never happen.  First there were so many years without a tour.  Then the show sold out so quickly, and even then it was such a novel venue and hard to get to  But my brother (all of 13 at the time) and I joined the fan club and one day the tickets just showed up with no acceptance email or fanfare.  And my dad - having seen so many of the band's influences live through the years, was all too happy to drive my brother and me, park in the middle of a field, witness an unbelievable show with us, and barely even give us a hard time when it took a full hour to find the car after.  For my brother and I this was a dream come true - he had even had an "Eric Jam" themed Bar Mitzvah complete with Eric Jam shirts.  Sorry about any copyright issues.  It was the first of many many shows, for the 3 of us, for my brother and I, for my dad and I.  (And 1 or 2 for my dad without us).   Such a good dad.  

These shows were mind-blowing, life changing, and bond-strengthening.  They were excuses for road trips, weekends away and that 1 or 2 days every few years where we could say hey, we are seeing Pearl Jam (together), so everything else has to wait.  

My dad and I will be at the Garden Sunday, but Eric won't be.  At the start of 2019 we found out he had a rare form of cancer in his appendix.  It sounds like something you would make up.  Still I got that call from him - they are playing the Garden - I can use your other Ten Club ticket right?  I hoped we would get that 2020 show, so that everything else could wait on hold that one night.  The more hopeful part of me wondered if there could be a cure, and a Pearl Jam show in Europe to celebrate.  A surprise trip to celebrate good news.  It never came though, and we lost Eric in the middle of Covid and all of the other chaos, in early 2021.  He was my funny, loving, amazing brother and a wonderful father and husband just like his dad.  He hated being the center of attention but somehow loved being the one to bring everyone together.  He loved these shows, and meeting random people on line or on the way back tot he hotel.    

My dad and I are so looking forward to this show.  So mostly I want to say thanks to the band, and to the people who have written posts and shared their own stories like this, and to put this out in the world.  Eric was there to see the band play Breath way back all those years ago in this very venue, and just maybe if you play it again with my dad and I there he will know. 

I am so sorry for your loss. I got teary eyed reading it. My sister and I are going to MSG together. We have been to many PJ shows over the years. I can’t imagine the loss you have gone through. I hope you get Breath at MSG.