Options

i figure the best way to learn to mod pedals

exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
edited October 2003 in Musicians and Gearheads
is to break them.

so, i think i'm going to start finding cheapo deals on pedals on ebay and using them as guinea pigs in my horrible experiments.

i'll use the profits from my switchers to buy the victims.

should be fun. and should keep me out of my soon-to-be wife's hair.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    puremagicpuremagic Posts: 1,907
    why the need to break them?
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    breaking allows you to fix. when you fix you can do it better or differently allowing better sound.

Thus the dead moose cries from the wounded big muff.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    Originally posted by puremagic
    why the need to break them?

well, by "break" i mean "take apart and hopefully be able to put back together".
  • Options
    broken EH pedals seem like they would be fun to work on. Or Fuzz Faces but Fuzzes are very tempermental.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    Originally posted by exhausted
    well, by "break" i mean "take apart and hopefully be able to put back together".

I understood what you meant by "break". Mostly I assumed you were working on familar pedals. When I saw this post, I assumed you might be venturing out to other concepts that you feel a pedal should do. Thus, is that why you need cheaper pedals to break.

Now I know that didn't come across in my original reply, but thats what I wanted to know.
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
  • Options
    well, i want copies of pedals that i already have b/c i'm familiar with them and i won't have to wreck my own collection in the experimentation. i won't learn unless i really get into the guts of these things.
  • Options
    Originally posted by exhausted
    well, i want copies of pedals that i already have b/c i'm familiar with them and i won't have to wreck my own collection in the experimentation. i won't learn unless i really get into the guts of these things.

Makes perfect sense. Your business venture, once its up and running, should be very productive. And who knows, you may come up with the ultimate all-in-one pedal. Good luck.
  • Options
    apart from the solder fumes, this is such a great hobby. i was fixing up my wah pedal the other night and i just forgot about everything else for a while. it's quite relaxing.
  • Options
    yeah I just realized it's been a year to the day since my gf dumped me. I feel a lot better. what a difference a year makes. maybe I'll go buy a new leather strap or just blow some money on a pedal or something.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    yeah I just realized it's been a year to the day since my gf dumped me. I feel a lot better. what a difference a year makes. maybe I'll go buy a new leather strap or just blow some money on a pedal or something.

things change a lot in a year. i remember just being a wreck for so many months after the same thing happened to me. but i learned a lot and came out the other side much happier.
  • Options
    Tubes make me happy. I want a damn wiggler or a rotosphere or really a replex but I ain't got 450 for a delay.

check out http://www.plexipalace.com

http://www.mojaveampworks.com/
  • Options
    get the wiggler. now.
  • Options
    yeah I think I'll take a little trip to Atlanta Music Brokers and play with their Rivera stock. Atlanta is a music buyers mecca. so much cool stuff. The Atlanta Guitar Center outsold Hollywood last Christmas that's how much business we do in Atlanta.
  • Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    Necessity is the mother of invention. If a pedal is broke, and needs some Frankenstein-ish reconstructive work...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,392
    Have fun with your tinkering. :)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&