2»

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,717
    hedonist said:

brianlux said:
    hedonist said:
    Someone remind me to come here when I need a bit of cheer 🙄

Really, it’s not all gloom and doom out there. I truly feel bad for - but don’t begrudge - anyone who does. 
    I'm aware that a lot of what I said here has been selfish and I apologize. 
    Clock Tower GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY
    When ever I see doom and gloom I always think of this, it cheers me up.
    LOL, love it!

Note my eyeroll and last sentence. It’s normal to question; I just don’t think this is end. If I really did, I’d say screw immunotherapy and just wait for cancer to take my life.

Being selfish is normal too. I am; I don’t know anyone who is or isn’t, or even has to be, at times. 

Despite how some might view me these days, everything I say here isn’t critical or meant to scold, fer chrissakes! 
    I didn't feel scolded, but I did take a second look at what I've said here.  I'm good with looking at what I've said and re-thinking when appropriate.

I totally agree this is not "the end".  It would take either a giant meteor strike to the planet or a nuclear war to wipe out humanity.  But I do think Kurt Vonnegut was on to something when he wrote this:
    Fates Worse Than Death - Wikipedia

I think things are going to get to get tough.  We are going to need to learn to get along and cooperate and be more resourceful.  We shall see.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    hedonist said:

brianlux said:
    hedonist said:

Really, it’s not all gloom and doom out there. I truly feel bad for - but don’t begrudge - anyone who does. 
    LOL, love it!

Note my eyeroll and last sentence. It’s normal to question; I just don’t think this is end. If I really did, I’d say screw immunotherapy and just wait for cancer to take my life.

Being selfish is normal too. I am; I don’t know anyone who is or isn’t, or even has to be, at times. 

Despite how some might view me these days, everything I say here isn’t critical or meant to scold, fer chrissakes! 
    I didn't feel scolded, but I did take a second look at what I've said here.  I'm good with looking at what I've said and re-thinking when appropriate.

I totally agree this is not "the end".  It would take either a giant meteor strike to the planet or a nuclear war to wipe out humanity.  But I do think Kurt Vonnegut was on to something when he wrote this:

I think things are going to get to get tough.  We are going to need to learn to get along and cooperate and be more resourceful.  We shall see.

People will survive.

however I liken it a bit to the fall of the Roman Empire.

must have been weird to be several hundred years removed and to be the people wondering how they built all that stuff all around them. They couldn’t do it 
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    hedonist said:

brianlux said:
    hedonist said:

LOL, love it!

People will survive.

must have been weird to be several hundred years removed and to be the people wondering how they built all that stuff all around them. They couldn’t do it 

Yeah, I've thought about that myself- how this is like the next in line of fallen empires- Egypt, Great, Rome, Great Britain, and now...  hmmm, everywhere? My guess is that if we don't annihilate ourselves or get hit by a meteor, populations will be scattered in tribes or communities  and their success will depend on how well people within these groups learn to cooperate. 

Edward Abbey created that world in his book Good News.  An excellent read.  I loved the part about the renegade group who had the last record player and a single record they played for special events or rituals.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,151
    brianlux said:
    hedonist said:

brianlux said:
    hedonist said:

LOL, love it!

People will survive.

people will survive, but the questions is how many? :)
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832
    Zod said:
    brianlux said:
    hedonist said:

brianlux said:
    hedonist said:

LOL, love it!

People will survive.

people will survive, but the questions is how many? :)
    not me. lol
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,534
    edited September 2022
    For the social issues, yes, I absolutely think there is a point. And WAY MORE people have to get out there and really fight for what they believe in, because it works. I'm thinking specifically of abortion rights atm. Like I said in another thread, I don't understand why people aren't out rioting in the streets over that issue in America. WHERE IS EVERYONE???? America seems to mostly just be sitting back and letting it happen, and that is outrageous to me. Same goes with all the American crazy ass right wing media, like Fox News. How is America putting up with all that shit?? How is it successful?? And same question when it comes to all the open racism/white supremacy, even in politics and religion. And religion in public schools. WTF is that?!!??! And the insane gun nut culture. It seems to me that simple apathy of the masses and the education system is ultimately to blame for a lot of it (and not so much just "freedom of speech" or the internet - if that were the cause, then every country would have the same problems).

As for the environment... I believe that we are passed the point of no return, so it is arguably too late and there is no point if your goal is to actually save the environment. There IS still a point in your actions, though, when it comes to just contributing to a rather more pleasant living space. Not driving, not polluting in other ways, makes local environment cleaner. While that's not going to save the world from environmental destruction, it will certainly make our time waiting for shit to go completely sideways a lot more bearable, lol.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    For the social issues, yes, I absolutely think there is a point. And WAY MORE people have to get out there and really fight for what they believe in, because it works. I'm thinking specifically of abortion rights atm. Like I said in another thread, I don't understand why people aren't out rioting in the streets over that issue in America. WHERE IS EVERYONE???? America seems to mostly just be sitting back and letting it happen, and that is outrageous to me. Same goes with all the American crazy ass right wing media, like Fox News. How is America putting up with all that shit?? How is it successful?? And same question when it comes to all the open racism/white supremacy, even in politics and religion. And religion in public schools. WTF is that?!!??! And the insane gun nut culture. It seems to me that simple apathy of the masses and the education system is ultimately to blame for a lot of it (and not so much just "freedom of speech" or the internet - if that were the cause, then every country would have the same problems).

As for the environment... I believe that we are passed the point of no return, so it is arguably too late and there is no point if your goal is to actually save the environment. There IS still a point in your actions, though, when it comes to just contributing to a rather more pleasant living space. Not driving, not polluting in other ways, makes local environment cleaner. While that's not going to save the world from environmental destruction, it will certainly make our time waiting for shit to go completely sideways a lot more bearable, lol.

Well said, Ali.  We need more of this kind of action-oriented thinking!