clip of barber launch pad

exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
edited April 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
primarily b/c paco wanted to hear it.
for those that don't know what the launch pad is:
http://barberelectronics.com/LaunchPad.htm

guitar:
fender USA tele, rosewood strat neck, duncan vintage stacks. neck/bridge position.

amp:
fender 65 deluxe reverb reissue with stock groove tubes and THD hotplate cutting 16dB

amp settings:
normal channel: Vol: 6.5, Treble: 4.5, Bass: 7
vibrato channel: Vol: 5, Treble: 5, Bass: 7
no reverb

mic:
SM57 slightly off axis into presonus blue tube into recorder. no EQ. hair of reverb on mixdown.

launch pad settings:
normal channel line: 100%
vibrato channel line: 1 o'clock
boost: 0, 9 o'clock, 12 o'clock, 3 o'clock, 100%

clip starts with launch pad off and vibrato channel only. then the launch pad is turned on mixing the two channels at about 2/3 normal and 1/3 vibrato and the boost gradually turned up. the hum noise is basically the boost amplifying all other noise in my chain. it's not the pedal itself. the launch pad is at the end of my effects chain. try to ignore the crappy playing. it's late and i'm tired and if i have nothing to play to, i play like shit.
http://www3.telus.net/alcoholiday/music/launch%20pad%20clip.mp3
http://www3.telus.net/alcoholiday/guitar_pics/pedals.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• TelesonicTelesonic Posts: 222
    interesting. sounds good ex. you're playing isn't crappy by any means. the chord progression reminds me of alice in chains - nutshell.
    my life...you electrify my life. let's conspire to reignite...all the souls that would die just feel alive.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Thanks, Ex. I'll listen when I get to the casa.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    Originally posted by Telesonic
    interesting. sounds good ex. you're playing isn't crappy by any means. the chord progression reminds me of alice in chains - nutshell.

what i played is just what i tend to play when i'm trying stuff out. the noodling bits were really rough but i just couldn't be arsed to do better. :)
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    Thanks, Ex. I'll listen when I get to the casa.

when you hear how much natural compression i'm getting you'll understand why i dunked the keeley comp.
    Originally posted by exhausted
    when you hear how much natural compression i'm getting you'll understand why i dunked the keeley comp.

wow, even with the solid state rectifier. The launch pad must really hit the power tubes hard promoting that nice tube sag. Damnit, now I really want one. Sounds like a reliable setup too.

I can imagine that is all you need for your overdrive anyway. So many people love that amp.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    wow, even with the solid state rectifier. The launch pad must really hit the power tubes hard promoting that nice tube sag. Damnit, now I really want one.

my amp is tube rectified.
    my amp is tube rectified.

Is it really?

Oh, nevermind I'm nuts then I'm thinking HRD instead of Deluxe Ri.

GZ-34 right?

There's the sag right there.
    5AR4.

the launch pad is beating the hell out of the tubes at the higher gain settings.

i actually don't go past 10 o'clock usually. how good it sounds basically all depends on the amp involved.
    5AR4.

the launch pad is beating the hell out of the tubes at the higher gain settings.

i actually don't go past 10 o'clock usually. how good it sounds basically all depends on the amp involved.

How much louder does it make it, do you have to keep the volume lower using the launch pad?
    it'll basically make it as loud as the amp has room to get louder before breaking up.

i see very little different in my amp's volume from 6.5 to 10 normally so it's really just matter of more drive.

it's all dependant on the amp and how much of the 20db the launch pad can give you is available as headroom from the amp.
    it'll basically make it as loud as the amp has room to get louder before breaking up.

i see very little different in my amp's volume from 6.5 to 10 normally so it's really just matter of more drive.

it's all dependant on the amp and how much of the 20db the launch pad can give you is available as headroom from the amp.

ok, so it does actually let you squeeze out some usable clean headroom before it distorts. That's what I was looking for. Thanks. What I like about the SHO is it's sparkle right up to unity gain. The launch pad with 20db of boost should easily be able to do that cleanly (and clearly no change in EQ?) and boost after that.

Have you tried it at all with the BD-2 behind it?
    you'll hear the transparency in the clip.

i haven't tried the BD-2 after it yet. if only done "one or the other" comparisons so far.
    you'll hear the transparency in the clip.

i haven't tried the BD-2 after it yet. if only done "one or the other" comparisons so far.

If the Rat reacts similar to the big muff to having mucho volume pushed through it, you'll like it a lot with the Muff I assume. The biggest Big Muff ever
    If the Rat reacts similar to the big muff to having mucho volume pushed through it, you'll like it a lot with the Muff I assume. The biggest Big Muff ever

speaking of rat. i just won a mid-90s version.
    speaking of rat. i just won a mid-90s version.

nice. good thing too, the new ones went way up in price. should be fun. I think it's less fuzz than the muff more Marshally, should be cool on the DE-luxe
    we'll see what it sounds like. i've always wanted to try one out and they never have them here.

i like clips that i've heard. should be a nice middle ground like you said.

now i just need a nice fuzzface to complete the palette on the OD/dist side of things.
    we'll see what it sounds like. i've always wanted to try one out and they never have them here.

i like clips that i've heard. should be a nice middle ground like you said.

now i just need a nice fuzzface to complete the palette on the OD/dist side of things.

and then.......addict :D

I'm sure telesonic will come through.
    yes. i want to see what tele cooks up.
    Ex the clarity is amazing. I just heard the clips. It's awesome you got that much gain out of it, almost sends the amp into cleaned up fuzz face territory. Cool. Perfect for blues stuff. I'd never turn it off.
    probably the equivalent of turning the amp up to 20 or something. i don't know. it's a little too mushy at the highest gain but do you agree on the transparency etc.?
    probably the equivalent of turning the amp up to 20 or something. i don't know. it's a little too mushy at the highest gain but do you agree on the transparency etc.?

yeah the transparency is outstanding. I like the near fuzz of the higher settings actually too. Maybe a little mushy at the highest setting but you know I run my DD volume all the way up drive all the way down 90% of the time.