edited February 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
blah.

i'm in a rut.

edit: gone. sorry.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    one of my favorite albums of the 90's. I still dig sullivan street and time and time again.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    Very nice...

The version of that song on "Across a Wire" is my favorite...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    problem with this song is that the recorded version is pretty much perfection. perfect tempo, perfect vibe etc. there's really no where to go but down when trying to cover it.

except for when allison does it b/c her voice is so unique that it gives it a different feel.

but i just recorded it to add to my quiver of cover songs and maybe use it on my "please let me play" cd someday. hopefully it'll do for that.
  • Options
    In the immortal words of Bradley Nowell,

I never knew I'd see the day I'd rock my own CD.

Good luck man.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    puremagicpuremagic Posts: 1,907
    Honest opinion - your best effort yet. I heard it in crazy mary but this one really highlights the fact that you have developed much better control over your voice. Your voice and playing interacting as one, as a "complete" effort. I didn't have to decide whether or not I like the playing or singing better, it flowed effortlessly as a "song". Nice work, I would vote for it on your cd.
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
  • Options
    thanks pure. it kinda came apart at the end a bit but it'll do.

the playing is really secondary to the singing in this song. in the original i mean.
  • Options
    Originally posted by exhausted

the playing is really secondary to the singing in this song. in the original i mean.

That's the point I was making, your voice carried this effort, the music only served as a background effect. So again, nice job.
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
  • Options
    thanks pure. it kinda came apart at the end a bit but it'll do.

If I might be quite tawdry, I'd like to see what it would sound like if you did it fairly clean, just an acoustic and a bit of compression and some reverb, I think it's a little muddy. I think you could do it better without any effects to be perfectly honest but it's all personal you know. I just love the clean piano on that song, clean guitar would be interesting I think.
  • Options
    I have it on right now,,, you are the first one ever to sing through my brand new speakers for my laptop.
    You have a great voice, Exhausted. Thanks for doing it, and putting this up. It's a really nice song.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
    If I might be quite tawdry, I'd like to see what it would sound like if you did it fairly clean, just an acoustic and a bit of compression and some reverb, I think it's a little muddy. I think you could do it better without any effects to be perfectly honest but it's all personal you know. I just love the clean piano on that song, clean guitar would be interesting I think.

i think that would soud good. definitely. the electric did end up muddy.

probably b/c i had compression, CE-2, small stone, delay and reverb on it. :)

i did like the swirl though.

i'll try an acoustic version and the winner will go on the disc. right now i think i'll just have a 3 song disc and a list of everything i play to give to places.
  • Options
    Originally posted by who's_pearljam?
    I have it on right now,,, you are the first one ever to sing through my brand new speakers for my laptop.
    You have a great voice, Exhausted. Thanks for doing it, and putting this up. It's a really nice song.

thanks man. did you get that USB interface yet?
  • Options
    i think that would soud good. definitely. the electric did end up muddy.

probably b/c i had compression, CE-2, small stone, delay and reverb on it. :)

i did like the swirl though.

i'll try an acoustic version and the winner will go on the disc. right now i think i'll just have a 3 song disc and a list of everything i play to give to places.

yeah, I was on computer speakers too and it was 12:45am.

It would kill as an open mic tune, nobody plays that stuff nice dramatic pauses and all, that's why I thought it would sound good clean, with a nice hall reverb.
  • Options
    i love reverb. reverb on everything. not quite doors-reverb but lots of reverb is nice. i need to find a nice two-channel rack reverb for live. right now i use my reverb in my recorder.

like this or something
    http://www.music123.com/Item/?itemno=34143
  • Options
    i love reverb. reverb on everything. not quite doors-reverb but lots of reverb is nice. i need to find a nice two-channel rack reverb for live. right now i use my reverb in my recorder.

me too as I have 0 on the Orange. I need another mic and a mixer like you wouldn't believe.
  • Options
    Ok, I'll wait for the acoustic version. Its really not about the music because ex, will automatically nail that. Its about his voice.
  • Options
    thanks man. did you get that USB interface yet?

I got a tascam us-122,,, and nothing "sees it" Dohh!

I'll have to fiddle with something or other when I get some time. I think I have to download software updates, or hire a 6 year old kid to show me how to work this stuff! They usually know more than I do about computers. (not usually,,,,always)
    Be kind, man
    I got a tascam us-122,,, and nothing "sees it" Dohh!

I'll have to fiddle with something or other when I get some time. I think I have to download software updates, or hire a 6 year old kid to show me how to work this stuff! They usually know more than I do about computers. (not usually,,,,always)

i hate computers. :)
  • Options
    i hate computers. :)

I knew I liked you!

I am known as mister mellow, laid back. The only thing so far that really makes me want to throw something out the window is computers and all their little thingys and "features" and "just plug it in and configure it"

(not to get this thread off the track that you have a great voice!)
    Be kind, man
  • Options
    JDE-PJJDE-PJ Posts: 721
    I really like your voice in this song, as puremagic said, it's the best I ever heard out of the 3 covers, and you already know, I quite enjoy your other two covers:)

I am not entirely aware of the original version from the counting crows, I know I have heard it, but but not in a long time, but I like your song as it is anyway without knowing the differences with their version.

thanks for posting it:)

oh and do you mind if I bump up that other post later, and add this one to it?
    I know someday you will have a beautiful Life

Jason
  • Options
    Originally posted by JDE-PJ
    oh and do you mind if I bump up that other post later, and add this one to it?

thanks.

sure if you want. i pulled down the other cover to make room though.
  • Options
    SquirrelSquirrel Posts: 337

whoa...just got goosebumps all over...wow!!!
  • Options
    you took it down already? oh well - i was looking forward to hearing this -

i bet it's good
    I'll dig a tunnel
    from my window to yours
  • Options
    Originally posted by trappedinmyradio
    you took it down already? oh well - i was looking forward to hearing this -

i bet it's good

yeah. sorry. limited time offer. i lost faith in it pretty fast. :o
  • Options
    JDE-PJJDE-PJ Posts: 721
    yeah. sorry. limited time offer. i lost faith in it pretty fast. :o

damn, I was just going to post it on aet too.

hum, well I hope you listen to it again sometime, and realize it's really good, and put it back up!
    I know someday you will have a beautiful Life

Jason
  • Options
    it sounded good to me at first but it just didn't stand up after a while.
  • Options
    SquirrelSquirrel Posts: 337
    it sounded good to me at first but it just didn't stand up after a while.

c'mon...it was awesome!!!

your voice really touched me...you should share it!!!!