Options

i just want to take a moment to say some words of praise...

exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
edited October 2003 in Musicians and Gearheads
for gain.

thank you gain. you have shown me the way.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    parchyparchy Posts: 205
    I just got back from a gig... playing my Fender P-Bass.... and yes, Gain was my friend.... let's just say that place was "shakin.'"
    Make Movies. Don't make Videos. Videos are evil.
  • Options
    thumbs up for gain
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    cheers gain you kick ass.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    get one of these pharaoh boosts. oh my god. i've found the missing link i think.
  • Options
    sounds good on the fender eh. Told you. Put the Comp with it and see how loud and clean you can get it. I was going to then I got scared because I didn't like his compressor too much.

Maybe I will get a boost the question is, do I get the germanium or the clean boost, or do I wait for the Barber.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    i'm not going for the clean. i wanted the dirt and i got it. leave the deluxe at 5 and go. pin the pharoah anywhere from 5 to 10 depending on if you want slight boost or way saturated.

i've got the one knob model and it's all i need. he sells them with contour and tone now but i didn't want anything but boost.

and it's one of his very first copies i think. for less than a new micro amp. gotta love ebay.
  • Options
    yeah. I think I get all I need in that dept. from the Keeley Rat (Mighty Mouse) But I think I may try to find one of those too.
  • Options
    now i just need to nail down the heavy marshall sound and i'm set.

i've got my deluxe (and my POD model of the same amp) rock solid now.
  • Options
    you should be able to get that with the pod fairly easily with the 4x12 cabinet model.
  • Options
    yeah, i'm working on it.

i actually think the matchless 2x12 is my favourite in that little kidney bean. that's actually what i use on my deluxe model.
  • Options
    the matchless is my favorite too. we have so much in common.

The other day I heard a guy who could really play well try out a used Matchless Lightning at a local store. It was amazing. You could hear this beautiful sweet ringing guitar tone above all the shit ass shred metal in the room. It was glorious.
  • Options
    i cranked the post-amp mid on the deluxe model too. it's pretty much my perfect sound (today).

someday, maybe i'll own a matchless. someday.
  • Options
    Originally posted by exhausted
    i cranked the post-amp mid on the deluxe model too. it's pretty much my perfect sound (today).

someday, maybe i'll own a matchless. someday.

same difference. All the boutique amps are better copies of the perfect classics with slight improvements. why not just find a 65 deluxe? It's probably cheaper.

I was thinking you would love that boost. Next time you change tubes maybe try a higher gain preamp tube like an EH and maybe EH mains as well. That should make it sound even better

The boost brings out so many harmonics. It's so cool.
  • Options
    yeah, i'm getting close to needed new tubes.

last 65 deluxe i saw was $1700US. that was minty though.

i'm thinking of making some upgrades on mine at some point. like you said, better tubes and probably a better speaker.
  • Options

i'm thinking of making some upgrades on mine at some point. like you said, better tubes and probably a better speaker.

Might I suggest perusing Mr. Farrow's site? http://www.pharaohamps.com

He also rebuilds amplifiers and he's got a great piece about redoing a 70's silverface deluxe to blackface specs might be interesting.
  • Options
    robrob Posts: 142

Aaahh, Good evening. Nos phillips tubes, or something like it, and Weber speaker. Those made my new 65' deluxes sound just as good as an old one. Not worth paying 1200 to 1700 bucks for an old one unless you REALLY can hear the difference!

Hey it's Hindu New Year here! Happy Diwali!
    I was wondering what the hubbub was yesterday!
    How,,,,,did I GET here?!

• Options
    i've actually read that write-up it's pretty cool.

i'll have to add this to the list of stuff to do.

new tubes
    weber speaker of some variety.
  • Options
    12F100?

i want strong mids and lows and mellow highs.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rob
    Aaahh, Good evening. Nos phillips tubes, or something like it, and Weber speaker. Those made my new 65' deluxes sound just as good as an old one. Not worth paying 1200 to 1700 bucks for an old one unless you REALLY can hear the difference!

Hey it's Hindu New Year here! Happy Diwali!
    I was wondering what the hubbub was yesterday!

Rob Hi! Where did you buy your NOS Phillips tubes? they are kind of spensive but great.
  • Options
    12F100?

i want strong mids and lows and mellow highs.

I don't remember, sounds familiar. I'm in the middle of pagodas and burros here, I forget all those numbers. I'll get someone to look it up. isn't a 12f100 a pick up truck?
    How,,,,,did I GET here?!

• Options
    Originally posted by rob
    I don't remember, sounds familiar. I'm in the middle of pagodas and burros here, I forget all those numbers. I'll get someone to look it up. isn't a 12f100 a pick up truck?

thanks rob.

i'm on webers site checking things out.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    Rob Hi! Where did you buy your NOS Phillips tubes? they are kind of spensive but great.

Ugh, so many things to remember!
    I used to have a guitar tech that did a lot of stuff and he got me a whole slew of them.
    Tubeman? Ampwares?

If some one would bring me a cold good beer, maybe I could remember better!
    How,,,,,did I GET here?!

• Options
    ok, 12F100 is only 15w. so that's out.
  • Options
  • Options
    ok, 12F100 is only 15w. so that's out.

Weber f150 d
    yelled out by youthinkyourold rob.
    How,,,,,did I GET here?!

• Options
    Originally posted by rob
    Weber f150 d

I can't believe you can remember the numbers. I can only remember the names. California, Blue Bell. etc. Whatever, make sure it's alnico much more character than ceramic.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rob
    Weber f150 d

what about 12F125-O? i like the early breakup.
  • Options
    http://www.thetubestore.com try there ex.

yup. bought from them before. they're canuckleheads.

how do new EH 12AX7s and 6V6s and a JAN 5Y3 sound to you?
  • Options
    what about 12F125-O? i like the early breakup.

you can go with slightly under powered to get earlier breakup just don't test it too much.
  • Options
    you can go with slightly under powered to get earlier breakup just don't test it too much.

12F125-O is 20watt so it should be ok.