Nervous before a gig…and why?

My father was killed in a car accident in 2019. St. Louis will be my first gig since he passed and I’m more than nervous about how I will hold up. Certain songs will crush me…Release and Come Back just to name a few. Anyone else ever nervous before a show?

Comments

• I'm sorry for your loss.  I'm sure they will play some song that will get you, and hopefully have happy memories vs. sadness.  

I found out about my grandfather passing away during the encore break of one show and they played  Wasted Reprise, Man of the Hour and Come Back to start the next encore set.  That was crazy.

I found out my grandmother died before another show and they played Man of the Hour that night too.  

• aidt17aidt17 Posts: 632
    edited September 2022
    I’m always nervous for come back. My sister died in a car accident in 04’ she was 18 & I was 19.  That song hits me like a train, in a good way but still hits home 
    Hamilton 05, 11, Cleveland 06, Toronto 09, 16, Buffalo 10,13, London 13, Seattle 13, Detroit 14, Milwaukee 14, Ottawa 16, Fenway 1, Wrigley 1
    Seattle 1 & 2, Missoula, Wrigley 1 & 2

• tusevuntusevun Posts: 231
    I am always nervous they will decide to play one of their last 3 albums front to back at a show I am attending. Other than that no. 
  • TinaETinaE Posts: 1,484
    edited September 2022
    My father was killed in a car accident in 2019. St. Louis will be my first gig since he passed and I’m more than nervous about how I will hold up. Certain songs will crush me…Release and Come Back just to name a few. Anyone else ever nervous before a show?
    Sorry for your loss. I also lost my dad last year and my mom in May this year...it's not easy and everything is so surreal but when I saw PJ in Berlin and Frankfurt I was able to forget my sadness and worries for a short time . Now that a few months have passed it's clear how much I miss them. Everyone processes their grief differently and I think it's definitely better to get involved than to suppress it. I also thought certain songs would tear me up inside but it didn't happen...no matter what, try to enjoy the show and if you feel like crying then just do it! I wish you a lot of strength and many dear people around you who will support you in your grief!
    Post edited by TinaE on
    Berlin 07/05/2018; Berlin 06/21/2022; Frankfurt 06/28/2022
    Eddie Vedder Düsseldorf 06/30/2019
    "The future ain't what it used to be..."
  • I’m so sorry for your loss - all of you… 

OP - I hope you can enjoy the music - however it moves you. If it’s any comfort at all…you won’t be the first or only person to shed a tear or need ‘a minute’ at a PJ show. 

Sending you all positive vibes and love. ✌️ 
  • I know the feeling, my husband passed away Jan 2016, and I made the impulsive decision to attend the Wrigley shows later that year. The first night I had a brief moment of wait, what the hell am I doing? This is gonna wreck me. But it was sooo healing and wonderful. I'm so glad I got the courage and just did it. Hope you have an equally wonderful night. 
  • Well here is my story. 

I FUCKING DIED 8 MONTHS AGO! 
    Heart attack-cardiac arrest.

I have a strange feeling when Pearl Jam hits the stage in St. Louis that I will start sobbing.
    Hopefully I can keep it together. 
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....