Options

my vox wah mods

exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
edited November 2003 in Musicians and Gearheads
i spent a few hours today researching and found this site:

http://www.green-fuz.freeserve.co.uk/wah.html

it lists all the mods that keeley and others advertise right now.

so i popped mine open and

- true bypassed it with a 3PDT switch
- added an LED indication
- replaced the battery jack with a 9V adapter jack since i never use batteries.
- did the external level mod. basically move the fixed input resistor to a pot. for fun, short this resistor and you'll end up picking up radio stations. very cool with reverb and analog delay. :)
- did the vocal mod.

i want to change the sweep and bass response but i don't have the right parts. i salvaged what i could from my dead DOD envelope filter do to some of the above.

here's the guts. without a doubt the ugliest, hack wiring ever.
http://www3.telus.net/alcoholiday/guitar/vox.mods/vox.guts.JPG

and the money shot. this is my new wallpaper.
http://www3.telus.net/alcoholiday/guitar/vox.mods/vox.blue.web.jpg

i still want to change the wah pot and the inductor. thus the reasoning for my other thread.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    pariahpariah Posts: 596
    That wallpaper kicks major ass!!! (I guess the mods do too...)
    "Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world."
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    excellent. I bet the sound is amazing. Nice touch with the Blue LED too.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    it's still a little shrill. i need to work on the sweep.

i'm also going to put the gain/bass response on an external 1K pot. need to order some stuff from mouser.
  • Options
    ok, order the stuff i need. i'm going to put the gain on an external pot and then put the sweep range on a switch to give a couple choices. i'll try a few different caps to decide what i like the best.
  • Options
    wow, man it all started with changing cases for your muff. Now look what's begun. cool
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    funny thing is, i can't figure out to true bypass that muff yet b/c all the damn wires are white save one.

the wah circuit is easy and hopefully i'm actually improving the pedal. once it's done i'm going to take it to the store to compare it with a stock one.
  • Options
    Originally posted by exhausted
    funny thing is, i can't figure out to true bypass that muff yet b/c all the damn wires are white save one.

the wah circuit is easy and hopefully i'm actually improving the pedal. once it's done i'm going to take it to the store to compare it with a stock one.

better yet compare it to Fulltone or Teese If you can find it. A 535Q and some form of Clyde McCoy.

The Bad Horsie 2 would be a good one to compare as well. I need to modify the Q and lower the gain on mine.
  • Options
    i had a 535Q that i dumped b/c i prefered the sound of the vox overall. of course, now i'm basically putting the Q functions on the vox so hey.....

i don't think i'll be able to find a teese or mccoy here. maybe the mccoy since my shop carries vox.

i'm thinking of finding a super cheap crybaby or vox on ebay and building another one for fun. purely for fun.
  • Options
    Originally posted by exhausted
    i had a 535Q that i dumped b/c i prefered the sound of the vox overall. of course, now i'm basically putting the Q functions on the vox so hey.....

i don't think i'll be able to find a teese or mccoy here. maybe the mccoy since my shop carries vox.

i'm thinking of finding a super cheap crybaby or vox on ebay and building another one for fun. purely for fun.

Just for fun. Find a way to combine them in series like linking the Jacks toegther. Ala SRV (Duck Tape) if you get another one anyway. Two would be better than one, especially if you could control them toegther and Huge huge fat Wah tone. With the BD-2 it they would smoke. The Q control for me is a gimmick. I want one basic wah sound nice smooth at the top and wide open very vocal. Basically Hendrix/SRV. Call me boring call me traditional but that's what I like. Varying the output gain is nice because you can smooth it out on clean stuff. Not so harsh at the top of the sweep.
  • Options
    El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    I've been meaning to do these things to my vox wah but lack of exp kinda holds me back :( How much risk of fucking it up is there with these mods?
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way
  • Options
    Originally posted by El_Kabong
    I've been meaning to do these things to my vox wah but lack of exp kinda holds me back :( How much risk of fucking it up is there with these mods?

there is always a risk with change....but ask yourself what makes people who build these things any smarter than you. Grab your soldiering gun. Practice a little bit. Read the mod instructions a few times and go at it. As long as you don't burn the board or otherwise act carelessly with that instrument of controlled fire bringer of immense beauty or intense pain. You should be able to perform the mods beautifully I have confidence in you.
  • Options
    Originally posted by El_Kabong

there is always some risk but it's not too bad if you're soldered before. i practiced desoldering and resoldering on an old circuit board. it's really quite easy on a circuit board.

i've drilled holes in the case of my wah and that of course is irreversible butjust changing resistors and caps etc. is reversible if you decidded you didn't like the change.