Options

i came within a hair of buying...

exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
edited November 2003 in Musicians and Gearheads
a taylor 414CE this weekend. thankfully i came to my senses. it was a good deal but a cutaway with onboard EQ isn't my preference.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Originally posted by exhausted
    a taylor 414CE this weekend. thankfully i came to my senses. it was a good deal but a cutaway with onboard EQ isn't my preference.

I love that guitar but lately HD-28 is my wish.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    You should have bought it!! I have a Taylor. It's only the 300 series. I can't remember which one exactly. If I had it here with me I'd tell you.

I am spoiled by it. I will never buy another inexpensive guitar if I'm looking for quality. Such a huge difference between a Taylor and my old piece of shit Alvarez. (No kidding, right?)

My brother paid about $200 less for his Takamine a couple days before I got it. After playing mine, he was pissed. Hell, I'd have given him the $200.
  • Options
    it was an ebay deal and i chickened out. i need to play it first. my guy here will order me anything i want to try first so that i'm happy and that's worth the extra cost.

i have a taylor 355 that i put an active lr baggs i-beam in. it's a gorgeous guitar.

i'm going to order a 314 someday with no electronics and no cutaway and put the i-beam in it as well.

i played a right-handed 414CE and a 314 and much prefered the 314.

i also tried a left-handed limited edition larivee L19 california that i might go with instead. it had the concert body shape but the rosewood back and sides.

i tried a D-28 but i don't like dreadnoughts.
  • Options
    Do you play righty and lefty? Interesting. I can see why you don't want the cutaway or electronics. But, I'll sacrifice the overall sound for the convenience. Hell, with a Taylor, you get top notch sound anyway. You could cut the back of that thing and it would still sound good...
  • Options
    i'm lefty. i just like unmolested acoustics with a simple end-pin jack. i plan on getting a Boss GE-7 to do equalization between my 6 and 12 string instruments.

i love taylors though and i'm sure that's the direction i'll go eventually.

my current 6-string acoustic is going in for surgery this weekend and i have to see how much that's going to cost me before i do anything else.
  • Options
    When you say "simple end pin jack" are you implying a built-in pickup? I had my guitar store put a pickup in my Alvarez (waste of $) and there were no knobs or anything. Just a jack at the bottom. I guess if you buy a good one then it would sound good... go figure.

It's a sick feeling to have your guitar go in for surgery. I always felt like they were gonna call me and be like, "uhh, we broke your shit..."
  • Options
    yeah, just a pickup with no onboard EQ. both my acoustics have i-beams.

this is the larivee i played. my guy was a little off on the cost. it's waaaaaaaaaaaaay out of my range.

http://www.larrivee.com/content/products/guitars/specs/L-19/L19RW00RCA131.php
  • Options
    I've never seen those guitars before. It looks nice as hell. That is one of those guitars where your buddy says "Hey let me play that." And you just cringe and quickly find a way to change the subject.

I've got a friend that doesn't play very well. It takes him about 5 seconds to switch from a G power chord to an A power chord. (not making fun of any beginners out there). Yet he always insists on picking up my Taylor. I feel like I need to help him hold it while he plays.
  • Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    I want a Martin OO-15, no cutaway, with a Fishman Blender and an end-pin jack. I know exactly how you feel. The only dreadnaught I've ever liked was a 1972 Gibson with a solid spruce top. So warm and expressive... no cut, no electronics, just great acoustic tone. Think vintage Neil Young tone. The LR Baggs stuff is great, just not my style. I engineered a gig for this guy John Hermanson (great singer-songwriter) who has a 1968 Martin with a Fishman Blender... he plugged in to the system, and I never touched the EQ, just a bit of compression on top... sweetest acoustic/electric tone I've ever heard.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.