Options

Seinfeld vs. Curb Your Enthusiasm

Is there any show that can possibly beat Seinfeld when it comes to Pearl Jam fans? I figured this would be the only true contender. 

Seinfeld vs. Curb Your Enthusiasm 28 votes

Seinfeld
46%
pjhawksLizardLedbetterman10bootlegger10The Jugglermfc2006GlowGirljh275312BLACK351ThoughtKnownHughFreakingDillonMatts3221Glorified KC 13 votes
Curb Your Enthusiasm
53%
mca47IndifferencehedonistmookeywrenchHailHailVitalogySVRDhand13static111MalrothGern BlanstenFiveBelownicknyr15F Me In The Braintempo_n_grooveOffSheGoes35PJ_Soul 15 votes

Comments

• Options
    MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,489
    edited August 2022
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    The last year or two of curb is pretty, pretty bad or it would be a lot closer for me.
    I'd have to rewatch both of them to cast my sincere vote, and right now Bob is taking up too much of my time.

(lean towards curb, though)
    Post edited by Malroth on
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • Options
    MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,489
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    ok, I'll stop being wishy-washy and vote.
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • Options
    OffSheGoes35OffSheGoes35 Posts: 3,514
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    Malroth said:
    The last year or two of curb is pretty, pretty bad or it would be a lot closer for me.
    I'd have to rewatch both of them to cast my sincere vote, and right now Bob is taking up too much of my time.

(lean towards curb, though)
    I haven't watched the last two seasons, so I will trust your review. In my estimation though the Larry David/Richard Lewis scenes, beat Seinfeld by a landslide. 
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Twin Peaks
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,413
    dankind said:
    Twin Peaks
    See the source image
  • Options
    dankind said:
    Twin Peaks
    Yeah Twin Peaks
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,291
    Seinfeld
    Seinfeld.  Thought Curb got really stale after a while.  
  • Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited August 2022
    Seinfeld
    Seinfeld. The best season of Curb was the Seinfeld “reunion” season.
    Still close as Curb is my third favourite tv show of all time after Seinfeld and WKRP. 
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,264
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    I chose Curb.  The last two seasons of Seinfeld are almost unwatchable.  That said, the last couple of seasons of Curb were a bit "meh", but they had their moments. 
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    Real tight and agree with many of the “meh” reactions to parts of both. That said, while I adore them both, Curb crossed many lines that Seinfeld didn’t or couldn’t — kid with the huge penis, pants tent, kid with the sewing machine — a ton of those. 
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,404
    Seinfeld
    Both are great, but Seinfeld gets my vote
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,639
    edited August 2022
    Seinfeld
    The shows came out at different times with Seinfeld before streaming.  Seinfeld was must see television at the time.  You made sure to stay home and watch it.   I love Larry David's humor and realize now he is why Seinfeld was great, and love Curb, but I think I have to give the edge to Seinfeld.  Even if Curb was on free tv, it wouldn't have the same impact that Seinfeld did to pop culture.  
  • Options
    Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,538
    Seinfeld
    I was thinking of putting this poll up for weeks, so glad you did!  Seinfeld keeps getting better as the show went on.  Season 8 is far and away my favorite season.  Despite the finale, I prefer George over Larry.
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • Options
    mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,817
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    1st couple seasons of Seinfeld were snoozefests until;
    1) they thought they were going to get fired and stopped caring about pleasing network execs.

2) Jason Alexander changed George Castanza's character from Woody Allen into Larry David.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    Matts3221Matts3221 Posts: 658
    Seinfeld
    I love curb like love it.

However Seinfeld just can’t be touched been on watching it on Netflix. I feel if I was not recently watching them I would have gone for curb.
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,205
    Seinfeld
    I love Curb a lot but yada yada yada - and that's why I voted for Seinfeld.
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,085
    Seinfeld
    Ultimately voted for Seinfeld--what's not to like?
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,470
    Seinfeld
    Seinfeld is the greatest comedy of all time. There is no debate. Season 5 is the greatest season of comedy of all time. Week after week was one classic after the other. Uncanny how amazing that season was. 

Curb is quite possibly 2nd and likely in the top 5. I love both. Curb's problem has simply been Larry doesn't know when to leave. It's been past it's prime for more than a decade now. Jerry left on, pretty much, a high note. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 8,235
    Tough call. I'd say Seinfeld wins for consistency. Curb is painfully hilarious, but can be a bit of a bore. Leon and Larry, can watch that forever. 
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Seinfeld is the greatest comedy of all time. There is no debate. Season 5 is the greatest season of comedy of all time. Week after week was one classic after the other. Uncanny how amazing that season was. 

Curb is quite possibly 2nd and likely in the top 5. I love both. Curb's problem has simply been Larry doesn't know when to leave. It's been past it's prime for more than a decade now. Jerry left on, pretty much, a high note. 
    I think there is an argument to be made for The Simpsons being the greatest comedy of all time.

I mean, I stopped watching it decades (plural) ago, but every time I catch a newer episode, they’re still pretty great.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,786
    edited August 2022
    Seinfeld
    I loved Curb as much as the next guy but never found it to have as much rewatch value as Seinfeld. But for the first 7 seasons, Curb was usually pretty hilarious to me on the first viewing. Not so much for seasons 8 and 9. And seasons 10 and 11 were so awful in my opinion that I file them with the likes of Rocky 5….I don’t even acknowledge their existence because it would bring down the greatness that proceeded it. I didn’t even make it through season 11. Quit after like 4 episodes. They were a chore to watch. 

It’s been renewed for season 12 just today. I’m loyal enough to Larry to give it a try as I did with seasons 10 and 11…but I’m not very optimistic. 
    Post edited by Ledbetterman10 on
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,264
    Curb Your Enthusiasm

My only problem with Seinfeld is how quickly the quality of the writing and acting fell off after Larry left the show.  The last two seasons were....okay at best.  To your point about Larry not knowing when to leave, I agree to that on Curb, but he was spot on when he left Seinfeld.  And to me, this drastic dip in quality really shows who made Seinfeld....Seinfeld...and it wasn't Jerry.  
    Also, I hated how all the characters changed in the last two seasons.  George just got mad and loud all the time.  Elaine became almost unlikeable, Kramer seemed to get quieter and his physical comedy was more expectedly obvious.  Jerry just seemed to coast but with far less (and smart) social observations...which is such a big part of his standup.  

Seinfeld will always win this "debate" because of how it was part of the 90's NBC, Thursday night, primetime lineup.  Everyone watched and planned for that.  And now, if you scroll down the guide on whatever service you have, Seinfeld is on at least 4 networks at anytime.

With Curb, you had/have to seek that out.  Nothing about that show is mainstream or could even be touched by something that wasn't a paid add-on, cable service where they could get away with more adult humor.  

Anyways, both are fn great and for different reasons.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Seinfeld
    mca47 said:

My only problem with Seinfeld is how quickly the quality of the writing and acting fell off after Larry left the show.  The last two seasons were....okay at best.  To your point about Larry not knowing when to leave, I agree to that on Curb, but he was spot on when he left Seinfeld.  And to me, this drastic dip in quality really shows who made Seinfeld....Seinfeld...and it wasn't Jerry.  
    Also, I hated how all the characters changed in the last two seasons.  George just got mad and loud all the time.  Elaine became almost unlikeable, Kramer seemed to get quieter and his physical comedy was more expectedly obvious.  Jerry just seemed to coast but with far less (and smart) social observations...which is such a big part of his standup.  

Seinfeld will always win this "debate" because of how it was part of the 90's NBC, Thursday night, primetime lineup.  Everyone watched and planned for that.  And now, if you scroll down the guide on whatever service you have, Seinfeld is on at least 4 networks at anytime.

With Curb, you had/have to seek that out.  Nothing about that show is mainstream or could even be touched by something that wasn't a paid add-on, cable service where they could get away with more adult humor.  

I agree that the last two Seinfeld seasons were not as good as earlier ones. Also agree on the characters changing as that has always irked me. But I would not say they were "okay" at best. The consistency was not there but some of the all time classics were in those last two seasons.

Plus, if we are talking about shows going downhill....Curb, as amazing as it was early on, has been kind of a tough watch for about a decade now. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,752
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    I really love both, but CYE is so real, that makes it funnier.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,291
    Seinfeld
    MASH is the greatest comedy of all time.   Seinfeld 2nd.  Most underrated is Taxi.  
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,143
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    I always thought the "Bizarro Jerry" episode was hilarious which was the next to last season.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    mca47 said:

I agree that the last two Seinfeld seasons were not as good as earlier ones. Also agree on the characters changing as that has always irked me. But I would not say they were "okay" at best. The consistency was not there but some of the all time classics were in those last two seasons.

Plus, if we are talking about shows going downhill....Curb, as amazing as it was early on, has been kind of a tough watch for about a decade now. 
    I think Elaine changed when she cut her hair. She was mean…less Elaine-y. 
  • Options
    Seinfeld
    hedonist said:
    mca47 said:

I think Elaine changed when she cut her hair. She was mean…less Elaine-y. 
    YES! I believe it does also coincide with Larry leaving, but I have always thought when she cut it and made it curly that her character also changed. Her wardrobe also changed a bit around that time too. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    Seinfeld
    The only Seinfeld episodes I don’t like are the pilot and Puerto Rican day. Every other episode is enjoyable from classic to a few chuckles. Even if I’ve seen the episode a hundred times. It’s timeless.

CYE is more topical and some episodes can become dated.