Options

how close to the bridge to you strum

exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
edited November 2003 in Musicians and Gearheads
this is primarily related to acoustic guitars.

how close to the bridge do you end up strumming? i ask b/c i was watching the DVD last night and noticing how close stone is to the bridge on his acoustic (i'm always picking on stone's acoustic sound, sorry stone) and it sounds really thin to me.

i find (especially standing up) that i'm way up over the neck side of the soundhole when i play. in fact, most of the wear on my acoustic is in front of the pickguards. it just sounds more full up there. i don't know.

it's generally the same for me with my electrics.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Guess it depends on what sound you want. I'm not big on thin sounds, so I generally go closer to the neck as well.
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    depends on the tone I'm going for. Solos get closer to the bridge, Most rhythm from the soundhole.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    pariahpariah Posts: 596
    Right above the soundhole, on my acoustic. On my electric, when I do chordwork I always end up play somewhere above the 17th fret. I can't help it, I can start almost on the bridge but I always end up strumming far up the neck (my guitar's, that is...)
    "Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world."
  • Options
    My "default setting" is over the sound hole. It's like switching pickups. Rhythm near the neck, lead more towards the bridge.
    Depends on the tone I want.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart