Options

"a bunch of songs that seem to end in C9"

exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
edited December 2003 in Musicians and Gearheads
is what i'm calling my tape that i'm making to circulate in hopes of getting some little shows next year.

i'm just recorded a pack of songs in my basement in one take with my voice and my acoustics. no overdubs or anything. if it's approximately in tune, i'm using it. just what i'd sound like if i was playing somewhere. in the past, i used "full" recordings with multiple guitars etc. etc. i used to play live with electrics and a full pedalboard too though.

i did 5 originals tonight and i'll do some covers during my next chance to record.

my question is, for those with experience in the area of either booking people or tring to be booked:

how should i mix this tape up? covers? originals? how many of each? how many total?

i'll also be hitting open mics as best i can.

i've not interested in getting the 4 hour, play covers to alcoholics shows. i'm going for little coffee shops and shit where people might actually give a damn. i like playing covers. but covers that i like. not what drunk redneck in the bar likes.

i'm not going to perform with electrics as i had originally intended. just my 6&12 string acoustics.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    I would keep the mix on the demo the same as what you would play at a show. Give them a sample of what they would expect your show to sound like.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,402
    I'll make this suggestion:

Put it onto a CD with separate tracks so that the listeners can skim it. A tape is harder for folks to hear a bit of this and a bit of that.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    Good advice. The CD is more likely to get played in the first place... with a tape, they'll listen to the first two or three songs, and then move on. With a CD, they'll check out at least the first 45 seconds of every track.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    yeah, it'll be a cd. not sure why i said tape. i haven't used tape in years.
  • Options
    62strat62strat Posts: 638
    kcikass greg, glad you decided to get back out there. I think you will find it much more enjoyable to be out there at clubs that do original music, cofee shops etc...

around here, in minnesota..there are a ton of clubs, so booking band with original talent is not that hard, what is hard is to keep getting booked, luckily ive been fortunate enough...as im sure you will too, no problem. Send out the cd with alloriginal music, around here...they just want to see if you can at least play, and you def can and sound great...so no need to worrry, if ou want to include a cover...go ahead, dont think it will matter though...id also send a little press kit along with it, contact info..posisbly a picture...cofee shops around here dont even really listen to amusic as they arent there for booking shows, mostly for cofee..but its nice for them to have people who canplay to bring intheir friends to sell cofee...and people passing through an sit and listen,get a mailing list and boom bam...if there are enough clubs there without rednecks...you should be able to get in there as well...if not, i say look out of town for sure...cause youre too talented to be playing in front of a bunch of people yelling covers at you...fortunat4ely, minneapolis doesnt really have that problem...

anyways. i just went on and on..sorry...
  • Options
    thanks 62.

i am going to slip a bio and some semblance of a press kit in there. thanks to moyboy's comp cd, my name appears in a couple reviews. add to that the soundtrack thing and it ends up being somewhat interesting.

i think 5 songs at this point. including that recording of the crowded house cover from that last show. the audio quality is poor but the performance was great.
  • Options
    Go for the CD and put your best 3 songs first, whether cover or original. That's as far as many people get when they listen to a demo. most usually only skim the first minute of the song.

I watched an A&R guy from Interscope Records go through demos once. You would cry if you saw how fast THEY do it. Literally 1rst track,,blliiiiiiibip, 2nd track, bllllibp, 3rd,, blp, into the trash. ,,,,,DOHHHH!

Here comes my ride,,,, cool
    I expect that by the time I get back from Africa, you'll be all over the radio!

Good luck dude!
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
    and they made a really dumb mistake, did you see it?
    It wasn't funny, they called you (or it may have been the link I saw) Greg Smelly. That was a couple of months ago.
    Kevin said he's told them about a few mistakes and at that time they didn't correct them.

Originally posted by exhausted
    thanks 62.

i am going to slip a bio and some semblance of a press kit in there. thanks to moyboy's comp cd, my name appears in a couple reviews. add to that the soundtrack thing and it ends up being somewhat interesting.

i think 5 songs at this point. including that recording of the crowded house cover from that last show. the audio quality is poor but the performance was great.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Options
    Originally posted by iluvcats
    I saw your name on allmusic.com (because of kevin's cd)
    and they made a really dumb mistake, did you see it?
    It wasn't funny, they called you (or it may have been the link I saw) Greg Smelly. That was a couple of months ago.
    Kevin said he's told them about a few mistakes and at that time they didn't correct them.

no mistake of that nature exists.
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I heard you guys got tired of the Smelly Greg Experience and the new name of the group is Gypsy sun and rainbows and the Jesus looking dude that plays songs that end in C9. Personally I think that'd loook cool on a drum head.

good luck. You'll do well I think.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    good, then they fixed it
    but I never reported it to them maybe kevin did
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Options
    Is there really somebody named smelly greg?
    No it was greg smelly.
    I'm not kidding either. It was when that guy wrote a review of live from nowhere near you. Also, they had kevin's name as the vocalist when it was exhausted.

Originally posted by Pacomc79
    I heard you guys got tired of the Smelly Greg Experience and the new name of the group is Gypsy sun and rainbows and the Jesus looking dude that plays songs that end in C9. Personally I think that'd loook cool on a drum head.

good luck. You'll do well I think.
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Options
    good, then they fixed it
    but I never reported it to them maybe kevin did

i saw the review the instant it came out. no mistake on my name was made. only the crediting of one of my songs was wrong.
  • Options
    Is there really somebody named smelly greg?
    No it was greg smelly.
    I'm not kidding either. It was when that guy wrote a review of live from nowhere near you. Also, they had kevin's name as the vocalist when it was exhausted.

I was just trying to relate a hendrix quote from woodstock sorry
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    now it won't let me look it says there are too many users.
    the article had your name (which was correct) and when i clicked on it, there was the error. i'm not making it up....

i saw the review the instant it came out. no mistake on my name was made. only the crediting of one of my songs was wrong.
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Options
    I was just able to access your name. The link is correct NOW.
    (However your friends need to check off a description of your music. It is blank.)
    I'm pming kevin and I'm asking him if he saw the mistake in the summer.
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Options
    I was just able to access your name. The link is correct NOW.
    (However your friends need to check off a description of your music. It is blank.)
    I'm pming kevin and I'm asking him if he saw the mistake in the summer.

yes. you run along and pm people now.
  • Options

why not just use this track on your demo? You're already bonafide.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    why not just use this track on your demo? You're already bonafide.

i don't like those recordings. they're 3+ years old and aren't represenative any more.
  • Options
    ho hum
    yes. you run along and pm people now.
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Options
    i don't like those recordings. they're 3+ years old and aren't represenative any more.

I don't think any recordings I have are representative. Most of my best stuff happens when I'm playing with other people.