Options

maxon phase tone vs. phase 90.

exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
edited December 2003 in Musicians and Gearheads
anyone with in-depth knowledge of the circuits? trying to figure out how similar they are. vintage copies of each seem to be going for about the same but i found a version of the maxon under the name "pax" and i'm banking on people not knowing what it is.

edit: dammit. a dealer's bidding on it. he's selling another copy for $145 so i'm pretty much screwed. it won't end up being a hot deal.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    dunlop just makes shite. Similar sound built cheaply with the wrong components so you don't get the same sound as the original MXR's

Maxon built almost all the original stuff and spends a little more cash buying the correct components and building them like they were in the late 70's early 80's. Little bit better more accurate sound out of the maxxons. but Phase is phase for us bedroom guys.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i think the new maxon's are overpriced personally. but it is good stuff certainly.

a couple of changes to the dunlop ph90 circuit (remove the feedback resistor for one) and it's pretty close to the original mxr. i still hate all the board mounted components though. very annoying. but considering the ridiculous sums of money people want for the original ph90.....
  • Options
    Originally posted by exhausted
    i think the new maxon's are overpriced personally. but it is good stuff certainly.

a couple of changes to the dunlop ph90 circuit (remove the feedback resistor for one) and it's pretty close to the original mxr. i still hate all the board mounted components though. very annoying. but considering the ridiculous sums of money people want for the original ph90.....

I agree with everything you've said here. Right on. Basically pedal companies are beginning to discover the giant market for vintage and botique gear so they are jacking up prices for essentially the same mass produced crap. I agree maxon is extremely overpriced albiet you get what you pay for in much of it. Dunlop has that ridiculous practice of mounting the jacks to the board because the whole thing can be assembled in seconds that way but it's shitty for reliability which they don't care about because they can sell more. Boss is essentially the same good quality stuff but not the best sound and despite what is said the FET bypass licks.

In the end the boutique guys build the best quality stuff but it's simple and they charge an arm and a leg for it in many cases. If you can change what you don't like save the damned jacks I'd go with Dunlop. With the maxons I'd look for vintage at the moment, many people don't know what they are worth and sometimes you can find the good old Maxon Ibanez pedals for resonable amounts. The old FL-9 is around $95 used. The new one is almost $200

at least the new ones are 3pdt.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    I still want to find one of the old Maestro phase shifters...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    Originally posted by mccreadyisgod
    I still want to find one of the old Maestro phase shifters...

I hope you bring your wallet with you.
  • Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    I hope you bring your wallet with you.

A friend of mine bought one in great working order for $20. People around here don't know shit about odd vintage gear...

It's the same as the bottom pedal here:
    http://www.ts808.com/indexbriquevintage2.htm
    Go to "Jacques' vintage collection," then "American Classic Pedals," last photo...

I played through one owned by another friend (who got it for $5 at a garage sale, again in working condition) a few years back, and I love it...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.