Options

how i've wired my telecaster

exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
edited December 2003 in Musicians and Gearheads
i just finished putting in my new duncan vintage stacks in the telecaster.

holy shmoo. best pickups ever. dead silent with all my noise gates and suppression off. no buzz from my crappy basement as with single coils.

now the sound. these are vintage styled pups so the neck is darker than my stock one was. but this a good thing since it ends up making the neck/bridge combo less shrill than before. the neck is normal coils in series config.

the bridge pup is much less harsh than stock b/c of the way i've wired it. using a DPDT toggle that i already had in the guitar for a mute, i wired the bridge pickup with the toggle selecting series or parallel coils. this gives the choice between pretty classic harsh twang and a much bassier, modern sound.

AND NO HUM!!! :D

i used the normal 3-way switch so combined with the series/parallel bridge toggle i have 5 sounds.

i think whenever i have the funding to put vintage stacks in my strat, i will. but i did my main guitar first.

money extremely well spent.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    parchyparchy Posts: 205
    Crazy... I always get hum...
    Make Movies. Don't make Videos. Videos are evil.
  • Options
    now i'm just left with the little bit if hum in my cables and pedals. i still get some buzz with the high gain effects but the pups themselves don't get any interference.
  • Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    My Q-P in my Tele is pretty typical single-coil... fairly quiet clean, but a bit of buzz with every gain-based effect. The compressor is the worst...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    haha. i ebayed my old pups this morning with a BIN of $25 each. they sold in 15 minutes.

:o

should have set the BIN higher. :D
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I can't get rid of my damn PH-3

Next time I'll just sell it cheap.

Congrats on the new pups. I'm sure it's lovely.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    it sounds freakin' incredible.

i decided to forego my old strat project so i'm ebaying the body and old pickups from that guitar. if it sells, i'll use the proceeds to buy vintage stacks for my 2000 strat.

sorry to hear the PH3 won't sell. if i were you, i'd open it up to international buyers.
  • Options
    that good huh. Still single coil tone? is it still crisp an bell like or fatter like a humbucker?
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    yep, still single coil. if you install them with the coils in series especially. if you wire them in parallel, it's a little darker and less twangy but no where near as dark as a normal humbucker.

you would never think it's anything but a tele.

since i'm off today, i'll try to do some clips once i'm feeling ambitious. i just woke up.
  • Options
    Yeah enjoy your day off. I got tools for christmas. Yay. I'm going to get a new soldiering Iron and maybe try those in my peavy. Also I found some tung oil at home depot. I might take the neck off and hand rub it at least on the back of the neck. I love that feel. Building a kit Carvin sounds better every day. Screw the AP 11's. I might go with those duncan vintage stacks and then put some super hot humbucker in the bridge.
  • Options
    slap a JB or something in the bridge.

based on my experience with the P90s and now with these stacks, i'm pretty much sold on seymour duncan's vintage-y kinda stuff.
  • Options
    I know the antiquity stuff is brilliant and authentic as well, I mean come on for the last 30 years this guy has done virtually nothing but examine, wind and rewind Pickups. If you can dream it. Pretty much Seymour Duncan can give it to you if you can do it with a pickup. He still has the custom shop EVH pickup you just have to special order it.