Options

TL;DR thoughts for this hot summer day...

Hi everyone,

It's been interesting reading opinions about the cancelled shows and everything else that came up to the surface in the last few days.

I haven't really written anything here since the ooooold Sony Synergy site I joined in 1998, if I remember correctly. Well, here's a TL;DR to make up for years of inactivity.

"And all the worries you build up inside your soul
The ones that make your world stand still
Means you can feel, that it's time to go" - Time, Blind Melon

One thing is sure - the band changed, and the fans changed and neither party got younger. Things don't work today like they did in 2019 or 2011 and let alone like they did in 1993. Everyone's priorities changed and the band grew into a "large system" and large systems are slow, sluggish, and careful. You can't make a fast U-turn the same way with a skateboard and with an 18-wheeler truck. So, you can't make a tour change today, the way you could in 2002 or in 1992. Following the band for so many years I'd take a guess and say 2014 was a peak, when it comes to touring, and most likely it won't be on that level ever again. We can discuss how and why that came to be, but the reality is - it's like this now.

"On the road again
Goin' places that I've never been
Seein' things that I may never see again
And I can't wait to get on the road again" - On the Road Again, Willie Nelson

I love following the band from show to show. If I had the money, I'd book the whole tour but my reality is similar to most of yours - we save for years and try to squeeze in as many shows as we can, maybe dip our toe overseas, go to the furthest city possible… It gets harder every year due to my personal life, raising prices, having to plan so much ahead and crazy things like the pandemic. I lost a fair amount of money on London 2018, Covid postponements and 2022 cancellations. I don't know if I'll go to another tour ever again not because "the band fucked me over" but because too many things need to align, and the process brings me more nervousness than it brings me joy. I'm guessing I'll go to shows here and there when I can book them stress free. Unless those lottery numbers align.

"Money
It's a hit
Don't give me that do goody good bullshit" - Money, Pink Floyd

As I wrote above, the recent cancellations cost me money and we all think things could have been handled better by the band / management. Sure, they did, everything could always be done better but I also know there's always so much going on behind the curtains "civilians" don't get to see. It seems logical to us that Ed should have made a video, posted it on PJ YT and said "I'm fucked, the tour is cancelled, we're crushed as you are, let's make it up as soon as we can" but it doesn't work like that. I worked in the music industry for years and almost every performer does everything possible not to cancel a show due to - fans, money, contracts, management, crew, and a thousand other things. Sometimes speaking out publicly is not an option as much as you'd like to do that. Or cancelling a show like Lollapalooza when it seems so logical when looking at it from the outside. Again, maybe a bit more communication would be welcome and if we're losing money, I'd rather we lose 100 bucks than 700. I don't know what's going on with the band right now, but I seriously doubt they're enjoying this. On the other hand, in a situation like this everyone's trying to cut their costs. Again - reality.

"You broke my heart-call it sweet surrender
Broke my only fan-call it body language
You broke my only fan (yes ya'did)" - My Only Fan, Malfunkshun

Even though I acknowledged I understand the "large systems" I have to say a lot of fan grievances are in place. This is where the band needs to adapt because this won't work without the fans. Maybe pump in some new blood, get younger people into the organization, grow roots deeper into the fanbase that made them "a touring band". Off the bat here are the things that bug me personally:

●       What's the point of Ten Club tickets if - there is no fan area, why the early entry - I want to come as late as I can, no bar close to the fanclub area, why isn't there an option when you buy Ten Club tickets to check a box "I want the event poster / t-shirt" and have it reserved...

●       Online shop - why is the UK/EU shop so shitty, why not set up separate shops for UK, EU, Australia, South America and make them feature all (ok, almost all) items available in US - shipping everything from Seattle is crazy; having Ten Club items that are limited - create a preorder for all TC members and let everyone who wants an item the chance to buy it and then manufacture that amount…

"I'm out here kickin' with the band
I am no longer a solitary man
Every day my time runs out
Lived like a fool, that's what I was about, oh" - I Believe in Miracles, Ramones

When it comes to this tour, I wouldn't say the band was mailing it in or that they were uninterested. I would like to say they were careful and set up the set so they can do the whole tour hassle free. Maybe it seemed a bit more "ordinary" than what we're used to but, in general, I have no complaints when it comes to setlists or the way they performed. Mike did teeth solo, c'mon!! Also, as the tour went on, shows got more exciting, loose, and energetic. Frankfurt was one of my all-time favorite shows, to be honest. The opening bands were not something that interests me, but this is the everlasting discussion, right? I'd rather have "an evening with" or have the Melvins open. Good luck to me.

"And the wind keeps roaring
And the sky keeps turning grey
And the sun is set
The sun will rise another day" - The Long Road, Pearl Jam

Can't say what the future brings but I hope it's many more Pearl Jam shows for us. When, where and at what cost, we can only guess. I think we have to be honest and admit, going to see shows is not something we need to do but something we choose to do. Everyone has a different threshold of shenanigans they're willing to go through to see a show. I'm right on that border right now and I’m closer to seeing single shows now and then then booking a few in a row. Either way, it's going to be something I choose and I'm aware things might go great, or they might flop.

Stay safe, stay chill and I hope we'll get a few more chances to rock out with this kick ass band!

L.