at first i thought this sounded cool

exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
edited April 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
then i realized it sounds like an ice cream truck. oh well.

waking dream
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    I like the tone you are using at the beginning and the end--when it is alone.
    (I tend to like the tinkly, bell-type sounds when they ring out without other distortion.)

It works well to create a quiet, sweet introduction and coda I think.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    and this morning i thought it sounded cool again. i don't know.

i have to redo the vocals anyway so maybe i'll change the ice cream truck lines slightly as well.
  • casper leblanccasper leblanc Posts: 1,246
    Ice cream trucks are cool :D everybody loved the ice cream truck where I grew up.

Has an E from Eels feel to it. Me like that. Me like ice cream.

edit: would you be very much offended if I asked you to tab the little intro out for me? Really dig it.
    i can't pin down who my influences are right now. i don't listen to eels but i can see how that would come up. i've honestly only heard the eels songs on the shrek soundtrack (:o) but i liked it.

i've decided that primarily i'm influenced by nigel powell right now (unbelievable truth and sadsongco). no one's ever heard of him but he makes some pretty cool music.

i have to take and rewrite/rerecord all my lyrics though. man, do they suck.
    Originally posted by pearlwax
    edit: would you be very much offended if I asked you to tab the little intro out for me? Really dig it.

it's capo'ed at the 7th fret and the chords (relative to the capo) are Cadd9, C, Em and F. i'm only picking the high e and b strings and the root of each chord though.

i have it tabbed out at home (my fiance wanted to learn it) so i'll do that tonight.
    Yay! Too cool :D
  • HYLAHYLA Posts: 137
    Sounds very much like the Eels. I like it. The solo kinda stands out too much, I'd blend it more in with the other guitar.
    i guess i'd better go find some eels music now. this happens all the time. people compare me to bands i'm not familiar with.

it's a good thing. i end up checking out new music.
  • puremagicpuremagic Posts: 1,907
    That's the ultimate compliment. To have created something and have it compared to others.
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
  • JDE-PJJDE-PJ Posts: 721
    I like this!

I don't know the eels music very well, so I can't comment on if you sound like them.

it's good, thanks for sharing.
    I know someday you will have a beautiful Life

Jason
  • Exhausted,
    That's the song that you'll be playing in a stadium somewhere with the whole crowd holding each other's hands overhead, swaying back and forth.
    Maybe you could do a PinkFloyd style thing and have flying ice cream trucks drifting over the audience during the song!

I like it. Thanks for putting it up here. Your voice sounds pretty damn good if you ask me.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

edit:

1) damn cool record regardless
    2) i can see why the comparison was made with the distorted vocals and keyboard noodles etc.
  • HYLAHYLA Posts: 137
    Reminds me a lot of their first album.
    Yeah, you need to get the first one, Beautiful Freak, and especially the song Novocaine for the Soul, then you might get an idea. Shootenanny is much more rock and less ice cream truck than that one.

Anyway, don't get too much hung on this comparison. If you wouldn't have mentioned the ice cream truck, I might have not jumped to that conclusion so fast. The ice cream thing is just something that would be typical Eels and the intro had an Eels feel to it, just the intro though.

Nonetheless: excellent song imho!
  • Gus_3218Gus_3218 Posts: 59
    I reckon that kicks arse.... a bit ice creamy, but thats sweet (sorry, I apologize for that in advance)
    ‘‘If somebody said to me, in twelve years you’ll be in a band with your brother and two carrot munching geezers who don’t like football I would have said fuck off, I’m not joining the Bee Gees.’’

Noel Gallagher