strat pickups - classic stacks and little 59s

exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
edited December 2003 in Musicians and Gearheads
ok,

i'm narrowing down my choices for hums for my strat. i'm going with duncan again.

i'm pretty sure i'm going with classic stacks in the neck/middle.

only thing left to decide is the bridge. i'll either put in another classic stack or a little 59. and i'll do the series/parallel coil toggle again.

any thoughts?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• parchyparchy Posts: 205
    I like the tone of the classic stack pickups but that's just my ear...

I've always wondered (as a bass player) what was so special about the '59 strat that made it stand out? Was it the electronics or the body or special bridge or neck or what? My friend asked me that the other day and I didn't have an answer for him...
    Make Movies. Don't make Videos. Videos are evil.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i have no idea either on the 59 strats. i guess with every guitar model there's just something about the guys making them that year or something that made them stand out.

the little 59 is actually modelled after the old PAF humbuckers though. it's supposed to give you a little bit of the sound of a les paul. i do like what i've heard in the sound clips but i just can't decide. i live in the neck and middle positions mostly b/c the current bridge pickup is just too shrill for me. my tele was the same way until i did the swap there. now it's great.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Originally posted by parchy
    I like the tone of the classic stack pickups but that's just my ear...

I've always wondered (as a bass player) what was so special about the '59 strat that made it stand out? Was it the electronics or the body or special bridge or neck or what? My friend asked me that the other day and I didn't have an answer for him...

First year with Jumbo frets. Easier to bend strings it felt better and was more comfortable than older Les Pauls and the pickups might have a few extra winds making them hotter and fatter.

It's mainly nostalgia. Clapton played one etc..... It was and still is a pro favorite. It's all of the above. The 59 Les Paul is the Les Paul from which all others are measured. It is commonly viewed as perfection but like most vintage stuff it's partly nostalgia partly the wonderful build quality and quality of wood nowdays quality is near non existant (accountants not musicians run companies you have to pay out the ass to get stuff built as well as the old stuff now.)
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    well, my strat body sold and the guy bought the hardware too so i have enough to do the pickups in the 2000 strat now.
    cool. I have no experience with the little 59's but I'm sure they sound good. It would be much smoother than the current bridge p/u. I know my buddy had a JB installed and it sounded great but I think with you're style the 59 might do nicely.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    i wrote to the guy that i bought the tele pups from to see what he could do on the strat pups. he runs a shop in washington. it's between him and guitarelectronics.com.

i wish i lived in the states for shit like this b/c everyone has free shipping on duncans in the states.
    Originally posted by exhausted
    i wrote to the guy that i bought the tele pups from to see what he could do on the strat pups. he runs a shop in washington. it's between him and guitarelectronics.com.

i wish i lived in the states for shit like this b/c everyone has free shipping on duncans in the states.

you just need a US PO box say near Glacier National Park. Then you could go down to Waterton and pick it up It could be cheaper who knows.
  • Originally posted by Pacomc79
    you just need a US PO box say near Glacier National Park. Then you could go down to Waterton and pick it up It could be cheaper who knows.

And you could've done just that... I've been in Glacier country for a week now.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    By the way MIG I found a $30,000 Allen and Heath board at Guitar Center. It was pretty nice. It would have looked great with the EAW monitors they were running off of it in your living room. I guess it'd kind of suck at parties though worrying about friends spilling drinks turning knobs or breathing on it wrong.
    decided to go with 3 classic stacks after listening to sound clips a few hundred times.
  • Originally posted by Pacomc79
    By the way MIG I found a $30,000 Allen and Heath board at Guitar Center. It was pretty nice. It would have looked great with the EAW monitors they were running off of it in your living room. I guess it'd kind of suck at parties though worrying about friends spilling drinks turning knobs or breathing on it wrong.

Damn you, Paco. Damn you to hell.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.