Options

What is your favorite era of rock/ rock and roll?

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,713
Yet another thing I'm curious about.  Which era of rock is you favorite?  It's a bit hard to break these down because, of course, they overlap, but I'll do my best to break it down with as much degree of accuracy as I muster.  Pardon any egregious errors!
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

What is your favorite era of rock/ rock and roll? 34 votes

50's Rock: Early Rock and Roll- Elvis, BIll Haley, Jerry Lee, Gene Vincent, Chuck Berry, Little Richard, etc.
0%
60's Rock: British Invasion: Beatles, Stones, Kinks, Who, Yardbirds, etc.
8%
vitoHawk123ComeToTX 3 votes
60's Rock: Psychedelic and 60's: Hendrix, Doors, Grateful Dead, Jefferson Airplane, Dylan, etc.
5%
KICK7071eddiec 2 votes
70's Rock: Prog, AOR/Classic Rock, Glam: Creedence, Boston, Eagles, Allman Brothers, etc.
2%
MedozK 1 vote
Late 70's/ to mid 80's: Punk/New Wave/ Hard Core era: Sex Pistols, Ramones, Patti Smith, Television, Lou Reed, Black Flag, etc.
11%
JOEJOEJOEDukeSpiritST66483tempo_n_groove 4 votes
80's Rock: metal, paisley underground, alternative, early hip hop: R.E.M., Dinosaur Jr, U2, Go Go's, Metalica, etc.
5%
g under pbrianlux 2 votes
90's Rock: Grunge, later laternative, rap/ hip hop: Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Guns 'n Roses, WuTang Clan, Tupac, etc.
47%
mookieblalockgoldrushhrd2imgnPJ1973Tim SimmonsKearn5yRS151862Nowhere ManJohnny AbruzzoBLACK35jeff2040rummyCropduster-80HughFreakingDillondrakeheuer14Glorified KC 16 votes
2000's Rock/ Hip Hop/ Emo: Foo Fighters, Linkin Park, Chilli's, Dashboard Confessional, Coldplay, Deathcab for Cutie, etc.
5%
mookeywrenchMay 30th 2 votes
Neil Young. OK, haha, but seriously, where do you put Neil?
11%
Yefastatic111OffSheGoes35Thompson172000 4 votes

Comments

• Options
    Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    90's Rock: Grunge, later laternative, rap/ hip hop: Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Guns 'n Roses, WuTang Clan, Tupac, etc.
    Probably going to be skewed to whatever age people are.

I like all kinds of music from all eras, but I’ll always default to the music of my youth
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,621
    My versions of the 70s, 80s, and 90s are  different but I like the idea.
    Gonna think on it...
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,277
    With the caveat that it also includes 90s Neil Young!
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    80's Rock: metal, paisley underground, alternative, early hip hop: R.E.M., Dinosaur Jr, U2, Go Go's, Metalica, etc.
    goldrush said:

For sure!  I seriously could not decide where to put Neil.  He's covered so much ground for such a long time.  Whenever I'm in the mood to listen to Neil, I have to decide where in time and space do I want to go.  Recently, I've been listening to Trans and getting back into the Live in Berlin DVD with Nils.  Great stuff!
    Tomorrow, Le Noise? Everybody Knows? Broken Arrow?  Who knows!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    OffSheGoes35OffSheGoes35 Posts: 3,487
    edited July 2022
    I would put Neil with the great singer/songwriters of the 70's, which is what I grew up listening to because of my mom. She listened to Cat Stevens, Carly Simon, Neil Young, Joni Mitchell, Elton John. That's primarily my comfort music. 
    I'm not great with categorizing music though.
    This is what mom listened to in the 80's, she didn't care for the 80's music so much.
    Post edited by OffSheGoes35 on
  • Options
    Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    goldrush said:
    Agreed. 

90’s Petty as well for me 

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited July 2022
    brianlux said:
    goldrush said:

For sure!  I seriously could not decide where to put Neil.  He's covered so much ground for such a long time.  Whenever I'm in the mood to listen to Neil, I have to decide where in time and space do I want to go.  Recently, I've been listening to Trans and getting back into the Live in Berlin DVD with Nils.  Great stuff!
    Tomorrow, Le Noise? Everybody Knows? Broken Arrow?  Who knows!
    Skinny tie era
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383
    '65-'75 arguably had the finest output of music in a 10-year span. But that's not an option, so...
  • Options
    OffSheGoes35OffSheGoes35 Posts: 3,487
    Hobbes said:
    '65-'75 arguably had the finest output of music in a 10-year span. But that's not an option, so...
    I want to change my era to this one.
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383
    Hobbes said:
    I want to change my era to this one.
    An era errah?
  • Options
    Hobbes said:

That was an amazing period of time in music, for sure!  And yet not one vote in that time period here- not even from me, and I lived through it. 
    I think I was born 10 years too early.  I relate better to people a half generation younger than myself than I do most of my contemporaries, and certainly not all, but much of my favorite music is post 60's- basically late 70's to pre-2000's.  I have felt like a fish out of water until I heard that Neil Young line, "People my age, they don't do the things I do."  I often wonder if he feels a bit the same way I do.  He certainly didn't get stuck in the 60's.  A lot of boomers never got past all that stuff.

• Options
    mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,754
    2000's Rock/ Hip Hop/ Emo: Foo Fighters, Linkin Park, Chilli's, Dashboard Confessional, Coldplay, Deathcab for Cutie, etc.
    2000's, but not for any of the bands listed.
    Once Web 2.0 came around the surge of bands who couldn't reach the major labels went their own route and indie music exploded.

Music also went back to having an emphasis on touring and being able to play live instead of being dependent on all releases.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    2000's, but not for any of the bands listed.
    Once Web 2.0 came around the surge of bands who couldn't reach the major labels went their own route and indie music exploded.

Music also went back to having an emphasis on touring and being able to play live instead of being dependent on all releases.

I have to admit to being a bit weak on 2000's bands.  I've sampled many, but nothing much has caught on for me (which is not at all meant to be a criticism of any music).  The only 2000's that I've caught on to a lot are Carlton Melton, La Hell Gang, and Föllakzoid
    What are some 2000's favorites of yours?

• Options
    Well for starters I think the thing most up your alley would be the re-imurgance of Dinosaur jr with their 2007 release on Jagjaguwar. They fell of the earth for 10 years after some band turbulence and major label flops.
  • Options
    Well for starters I think the thing most up your alley would be the re-imurgance of Dinosaur jr with their 2007 release on Jagjaguwar. They fell of the earth for 10 years after some band turbulence and major label flops.

Dinosaur Jr is a favorite band of mine, for sure (I have 32 Dino/ Mascis LPs, so I guess that would make me a fanatic, lol). 
    But what I was wondering was, what are some of your favorite 200's bands? 

• Options
    MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,485
    The era of my life, where I can see live music, is my choice.
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • Options
    LB260405LB260405 Posts: 55
    This poll is too difficult. I will chime in on the 2000s bands discussion, as this would definitely be one of the candidates for me.

The National
    Spoon
    Band of Horses
    Patrick Watson
    The Strokes
    Arcade Fire
    The Mars Volta
    Sparta
    mewithoutYou
    The White Stripes
    Arctic Monkeys
    Death Cab for Cutie
    Modest Mouse
    The Decemberists
    The Shins
    Bon Iver
    The Black Keys
    Interpol
    The Killers

I return to all of these bands' discographies quite frequently, and would go as far as saying a handful of them are in my top 10 musical acts of all time. But, of course, that top 10 list changes often.
  • Options
    Building off the post above some, 2000's bands I routinely re-visit:

Yeah yeah yeahs
    TV on the radio
    My Morning Jacket 
    Black Mountain/Pink Mountaintops
    Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
    Reigning Sound
    Beach House
    Thee Oh Sees
    Miles Benjamin Anthony Robinson
    Karl Blau
    The Walkmen
    LCD soundsystem 
    Wolf Parade
    Of Montreal
    Dungen
    The Hold Steady
    Devendra Banhart
    Broken Social Scene
    Animal Collective 

Then bands who didn't start in the 2000s, but had their best output in that time:

Radiohead
    Sigur Ros
    Flaming Lips
    Yo La Tango
    Beck
    Wilco
    Cat Power
  • Options
    ^^^ Holy smokes, you two!  I know some of those bands, but I can see I have some homework ahead of me. 
    Well alright!  I like that kind of exercise!

• Options
    LB260405LB260405 Posts: 55
    Homework:

The National - Boxer
    Spoon - Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga
    Patrick Watson - Close to Paradise
    Sparta - Threes
    mewithoutYou - Brother, Sister
    Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That’s What I’m Not
    Interpol - Turn On the Bright Lights
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,006
    Late 70's/ to mid 80's: Punk/New Wave/ Hard Core era: Sex Pistols, Ramones, Patti Smith, Television, Lou Reed, Black Flag, etc.
    The only real heavy hitter from that list is Oh Sees so I added a few more, lol.

For the 2000's don't forget Linkin Park, Ty Seagal, Jay Reatard, Killswitch Engage, Bedouin Soundclash, Jack Johnson, The Weeks, Bombay Bicycle Club.

I know I'm forgetting some... Dillinger had an album in the 90's and so did Converge. It will come to me.  Good job on that list.

• Options
    edited July 2022
    Throw Metallica, Maiden, Priest, Motley Crue for this era too and I would be happy.  I dug WASP, ACDC and other hair bands from the early to mid 80's along w Minor Threat, Misfits, DK and the like.

Edit:  I forgot to add in the 70's soul too as I love what spawned the birth of hip hop.
    Post edited by tempo_n_groove on
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    Wow another great thread....well while being a dj back in school mostly spinning dance music of ALL sorts to dorms, student unions, house parties off campus the 80' rule for me. Man, our crew FCC (FUN CITY CREW) played the dawning of rap/hip hop, funk, disco etc. The birth of something called music videos and THE CHANNEL to watch back then MTV. 

That channel gave way to the start of bands such as U2, RUSH, Metallica, Talking Heads, Michael Jackson, Prince, Def Leppard, Tina, Fugazi, David Bowie, The Clash, Van Halen etc etc. I could go on and on, in fact right now THE only 📻 station I  listen🎶 to down here in here in Palm Beach County FL is sunny 107.9. Which plays only 70s, MOSTLY 80s and 90s. Great Station of which there's an app so I can listen in anywhere I might be in this country.

✌️
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    Throw Metallica, Maiden, Priest, Motley Crue for this era too and I would be happy.  I dug WASP, ACDC and other hair bands from the early to mid 80's along w Minor Threat, Misfits, DK and the like.

Edit:  I forgot to add in the 70's soul too as I love what spawned the birth of hip hop.

Make it so!  All categories included "etc."  Those you listed belong, for sure.
    LB260405 said:
    Homework:

The National - Boxer
    Spoon - Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga
    Patrick Watson - Close to Paradise
    Sparta - Threes
    mewithoutYou - Brother, Sister
    Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That’s What I’m Not
    Interpol - Turn On the Bright Lights

Alrighty!  I will check them out, thanks.
    g under p said:
    Wow another great thread....well while being a dj back in school mostly spinning dance music of ALL sorts to dorms, student unions, house parties off campus the 80' rule for me. Man, our crew FCC (FUN CITY CREW) played the dawning of rap/hip hop, funk, disco etc. The birth of something called music videos and THE CHANNEL to watch back then MTV. 

That channel gave way to the start of bands such as U2, RUSH, Metallica, Talking Heads, Michael Jackson, Prince, Def Leppard, Tina, Fugazi, David Bowie, The Clash, Van Halen etc etc. I could go on and on, in fact right now THE only 📻 station I  listen🎶 to down here in here in Palm Beach County FL is sunny 107.9. Which plays only 70s, MOSTLY 80s and 90s. Great Station of which there's an app so I can listen in anywhere I might be in this country.

✌️

Being a D.J. sounds like a blast!  Cool that you got to do that!
    I was sort of a home D.J. for my nephews when they stayed with me for the better part of a couple of years.  They seemed to like a lot of the stuff I played, especially Neil Young and even (surprisingly for their age) Lou Reed.

• Options
    g under p said:

✌️
    MTV was the start for a bunch of bands but Fugazi and Metallica aren't 2 of them.

What early hip hop were u spinning?  When that music was becoming a thing MTV wasn't playing it so DJ's, word of mouth and some radio were the only way that music was spread around.  Look how big it's become now too.  Wild.
  • Options
    g under p said:

✌️
    MTV was the start for a bunch of bands but Fugazi and Metallica aren't 2 of them.

What early hip hop were u spinning?  When that music was becoming a thing MTV wasn't playing it so DJ's, word of mouth and some radio were the only way that music was spread around.  Look how big it's become now too.  Wild.
    When I referenced Fugazi and Metallica it was NOT with any play on MTV. It was in general that they rose to my prominence in the '80s. In fact I believe Metallica was reluctant to make any videos until the idea for 'One' came about late'80s and was played to that movie I can't remember. Johnny's Got A Gun I think?

As far as what we spun in the early '80s started with some that actually came out in '79 but were so huge they carried over into '80 and beyond.

Fatback Band..... I like the girls summer '78
    Sugarhill Gang....Rappers Delight September '79
    Funky Four + 1.....It's The Joint
    Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five....The Message
    Curtis Blow......These Are The Breaks...this one was huge
    Whodini.....The Freaks Come Out At Night

In our crew we distinguished ourselves from others in that we had our own rappers when we had battle of the dj crews/bands. We had male and females, no other crews had this so we always won and got paid extra for it. I even somewhat rapped lol, through in a few lines even though I couldn't rap worth shit. Only thing I can remember saying is something like 'Easy Earle here to rock your world' but I could scratch mix and kept the party in beat.

I wish I still our old 🎶 party cassettes tapes another way we made some money to buy more remixed extended versions that no one else had. Fun days, damn that was around 40 years ago time flying by.

✌️

*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    g under p said:
    g under p said:

✌️

When I referenced Fugazi and Metallica it was NOT with any play on MTV. It was in general that they rose to my prominence in the '80s. In fact I believe Metallica was reluctant to make any videos until the idea for 'One' came about late'80s and was played to that movie I can't remember. Johnny's Got A Gun I think?

As far as what we spun in the early '80s started with some that actually came out in '79 but were so huge they carried over into '80 and beyond.

In our crew we distinguished ourselves from others in that we had our own rappers when we had battle of the dj crews/bands. We had male and females, no other crews had this so we always won and got paid extra for it. I even somewhat rapped lol, through in a few lines even though I couldn't rap worth shit. Only thing I can remember saying is something like 'Easy Earle here to rock your world' but I could scratch mix and kept the party in beat.

I wish I still our old 🎶 party cassettes tapes another way we made some money to buy more remixed extended versions that no one else had. Fun days, damn that was around 40 years ago time flying by.

✌️

I figured that's what you meant about Metallica and Fugazi, yeah both were anti video, well Metallica was up until One came out.

Very cool about the DJing.  I watched The Getdown and enjoyed their take on that part of history. Check it out if you can.

Any Afrika Bimabata or Kool moe Dee in there?

Also where were you located?  I know the mix tape is how stuff got around back then.  I sometimes forget the importance and provenance of them...
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    g under p said:
    g under p said:

✌️

✌️

I figured that's what you meant about Metallica and Fugazi, yeah both were anti video, well Metallica was up until One came out.

Very cool about the DJing.  I watched The Getdown and enjoyed their take on that part of history. Check it out if you can.

Any Afrika Bimabata or Kool moe Dee in there?

Also where were you located?  I know the mix tape is how stuff got around back then.  I sometimes forget the importance and provenance of them...

Omgoodness, I totally forgot about Afrika Bambaataa & Soulsonic Force...Looking For The Perfect Beat. We would play that extended version and it would bring down the down house. Especially the way we would mix it. It was an easy go to cut that would get everybody on the floor. The only other track I can recall that could do the same or more was Funkadelic's 'Not Just' Knee Deep extended remix. Fifteen minutes of straight up dancing, everyone was sweating after those cuts. We steamed up the the student union with condensation. Peeps from that era I'm sure still talk about the fresh cuts we would play and how we played them. Awesome stuff.

Yeah, back then I went to school in VA, Hampton. We were the middle of the road, they were the DC peeps, Philly and of course the NJ/NYC peeps. Home now is WPB, FL trying to stay cool only in Florida  as I close in on retiring.

https://youtu.be/rHQ11l4uiM4

https://youtu.be/_20BvG3H6DY

The guitar solo around the 7 minute mark is classic Funkadelic playing and one of the best ever.

✌️
    Post edited by g under p on

• Options
    Oh one more thing on that Funkadelic track Knee Deep. It's The creator George Clinton came up with the word *TWERK*. Instead of saying work he sang twerk near the beginning and this was back in '79-'80.

✌️

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832
    Building off the post above some, 2000's bands I routinely re-visit:

Yeah yeah yeahs
    TV on the radio
    My Morning Jacket 
    Black Mountain/Pink Mountaintops
    Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
    Reigning Sound
    Beach House
    Thee Oh Sees
    Miles Benjamin Anthony Robinson
    Karl Blau
    The Walkmen
    LCD soundsystem 
    Wolf Parade
    Of Montreal
    Dungen
    The Hold Steady
    Devendra Banhart
    Broken Social Scene
    Animal Collective 

Then bands who didn't start in the 2000s, but had their best output in that time:

Radiohead
    Sigur Ros
    Flaming Lips
    Yo La Tango
    Beck
    Wilco
    Cat Power
    love Steve McBean. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com