new piece of gear

exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
edited January 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
an old cordless phone with a built in intercom. works great for the telephone voice effects (obviously). i'm going to use it on the cover of crazy mary i'm working on.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• You can do the same thing pretty easily with an SM57, a dirty pre-amp, some hard compression, and a parametric EQ.

But the real thing is very nice.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    Originally posted by mccreadyisgod
    You can do the same thing pretty easily with an SM57, a dirty pre-amp, some hard compression, and a parametric EQ.

But the real thing is very nice.

so $400 vs. $5.
  • Originally posted by exhausted
    so $400 vs. $5.

I was thinking you already had all of the above...
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    Originally posted by mccreadyisgod
    I was thinking you already had all of the above...

i know. i'm just being a dick.

i tried once to recreate it and failed.
  • Okay, here's what you do:

You take the mic, a 57 works best... a 58 will work if you unscrew the windscreen. Plug it into your tube preamp, and get it up to where it just barely distorts, probably like +10 dB or so. Then route into an EQ, and cut everything below 100 Hz and above 8 kHz. Bump a narrow band around 4-5 kHz. Then run it into a compressor, use a hard ratio, like 10:1. Get the threshold so that it compresses just about everything you say. Adjust the output so that you don't get any digital distortion. A tad bit of dirty reverb can sound great on this (or your telephone setup, too) like a Doppler or bathroom-sounding verb/delay.
  • isn't all this just really complicated? cldn't u just . . . put ur hand over ur mouth and use a mic? . . . speaking from the privaliged point of view of not actually knowing wot it should sound like here. i'm just trying to get my posts up . . .
    some things once spoken, can't be taken back