Options

my pedals..... three years ago

exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
edited January 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
i found this picture this weekend cleaning up after hurricane fiance moved in...

http://www3.telus.net/alcoholiday/guitar_pics/old_pedals.jpg

think i had enough delay pedals?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    whoa Johnny Greenwood.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    whoa Johnny Greenwood.

pretty much where i was at that time. you should have heard all the effects-laden shit i put on my first recordings.

a DD-5, a memory man and a danecho. just nuts.
  • Options
    Originally posted by exhausted
    pretty much where i was at that time. you should have heard all the effects-laden shit i put on my first recordings.

a DD-5, a memory man and a danecho. just nuts.

sounds like fun to me. Imagine if you'd had a Picogenerator a the time too. You could just lay the guitar down on top of the amp crank the distortion and turn knobs :)
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    i used the hold feature on the DD-5 to have a constant signal coming into the rest of the chain. then i'd go nuts with the DMM. it was fun. all the old days. i can't believe i have no modulation right now.
  • Options
    I have none at the moment either. Reverb first I think then delay.
  • Options
    i think i just want something to do the murky swirl thing now. i have to save up my allowance and look for a phase 90 or, if by some stroke of luck, the jazz sells next time around, a deja-vibe. i think i prefer the phase idea though.
  • Options
    i think i just want something to do the murky swirl thing now. i have to save up my allowance and look for a phase 90 or, if by some stroke of luck, the jazz sells next time around, a deja-vibe. i think i prefer the phase idea though.

yeah the deja's are expensive, the reason I was thinking Capt Coconuts. Plus the CC2 has the ECS feature (envelope control) the harder you play the faster the rotor turn. Cool. Really cool. Plus the fuzz is flexible with the fuzz card swap outs and then there's an octave in there too.

don't forget about the Little Lanilei rotory speakers too.
  • Options
    i'll have to try a few things out. unfortunately, the boutique stuff is all dependant on what sound samples i can find. i never see it hear. with the exception of the deja vibe i tried a couple years ago.

until my fiance gets another job, the only way i'll be buying gear is by selling gear. luckily, i'll have my stock strat pups and a baggs i-beam to sell soon.

i like the idea of getting a phase 90 and modding it. cheap enough to break.
  • Options
    i'll have to try a few things out. unfortunately, the boutique stuff is all dependant on what sound samples i can find. i never see it hear. with the exception of the deja vibe i tried a couple years ago.

until my fiance gets another job, the only way i'll be buying gear is by selling gear. luckily, i'll have my stock strat pups and a baggs i-beam to sell soon.

i like the idea of getting a phase 90 and modding it. cheap enough to break.

Imagine a Phase 90 overbuilt with nice caps and a voltage doubler. Wow. 18volts on the best phaser ever. Hmm.
  • Options
    Imagine a Phase 90 overbuilt with nice caps and a voltage doubler. Wow. 18volts on the best phaser ever. Hmm.

that's a good idea. i still need to do all the caps in my tremolo too. i've been spending all my time on my wah. it kills now. i think.
  • Options
    that's a good idea. i still need to do all the caps in my tremolo too. i've been spending all my time on my wah. it kills now. i think.

boss trem?

I bet there is a way to mod the speed control into the pedal on the Phase 90 or at least put a big rubber knob on top so you can move it with your feet. I know that would sound awesome. The caps free up so much headroom.
  • Options
    boss TR-2 yup. i'm pretty sure a cap change would quiet it down. now that my tele is dead silent, i can hear all the noise my pedals and cables are creating.

and the phase 90 has that rubber knob thing you can hit with your foot. building the speed control into a treadle is tricky b/c it's a 500K pot unfortunately.
  • Options
    boss TR-2 yup. i'm pretty sure a cap change would quiet it down. now that my tele is dead silent, i can hear all the noise my pedals and cables are creating.

and the phase 90 has that rubber knob thing you can hit with your foot. building the speed control into a treadle is tricky b/c it's a 500K pot unfortunately.

oh, yeah that would be tricky. The rubber knob is just as good.

George L's are really the best I've heard. Very nice headroom.

Aparently the trade off from the awesome Boss reliability is a little color and noise. Caps will take care of that. Just think Keeley BD-2.
  • Options
    i really like the TR-2. i prefer it to my amp tremolo b/c of the ability to alter the waveform. i haven't noticed too much colouring though. just some hiss. it's really not noticeable but since i'm so creatively blocked, i might as well put my new basement workspace to use and see if i can improve it.

i get frustrated every time i actually play guitar right now.
  • Options
    i really like the TR-2. i prefer it to my amp tremolo b/c of the ability to alter the waveform. i haven't noticed too much colouring though. just some hiss. it's really not noticeable but since i'm so creatively blocked, i might as well put my new basement workspace to use and see if i can improve it.

i get frustrated every time i actually play guitar right now.

have you read about analogman's TR-2 mod. It's patterned after the Deluxe Tremolo. I bet all he really does is change the caps and maybe the wires to silver.
  • Options
    have you read about analogman's TR-2 mod. It's patterned after the Deluxe Tremolo. I bet all he really does is change the caps and maybe the wires to silver.

yeah, i have. and yes, that's all you can really do in there. the claim of recreating the DR tremolo is just subjective marketing crap but i'm sure it is quieter. he may change a resistor or two as well.
  • Options
    pariahpariah Posts: 596
    How did the delays compare to each other... planning on buying one and trying to choose between a Danecho and a more expensive DMM without being able to try 'em out...

And I bought a TR-2 lately. I really like it. For the price it stood up well against the Dunlop thing (which was a bit better, to be honest). TR2: €89 against Dunlop: €219. Sometimes choosing isn't that hard...:)
    "Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world."
  • Options
    my DMM was an old, non-true bypass, tone sucking beast. it's a dark, swampy delay. but beautiful for self-oscillation and long delay times.

the dan-echo is awesome for the price. it's digital but does a great analog simulation and 2s of delay time.

if you like the runaway feedback and modulation in your delay, the DMM is a great choice. drawbacks are hardwired 120V power and some reliability issues.

however, the dan-echo is a solid, all around delay pedal.

i dumped all of these pedals when i got a line6 DL4 however b/c it does everything these do and more.
  • Options
    Thanks... one thing though.

"drawbacks are hardwired 120V power"?

I'd really like to know what that means...:confused:
    "Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world."
  • Options
    Originally posted by pariah
    Thanks... one thing though.

"drawbacks are hardwired 120V power"?

I'd really like to know what that means...:confused:

means it's got a big, thick AC power cord that you need to plug into a socket. it doesn't have the nice, little 9V cords that most pedals use.
  • Options
    also, the dan-echo won't do the space ship landing sounds that a true analog will. for some, that's important.
  • Options
    means it's got a big, thick AC power cord that you need to plug into a socket. it doesn't have the nice, little 9V cords that most pedals use.
    That sucks...
  • Options
    electro-harmonix is nothing if not idiosyncratic.
  • Options

isn't that what makes them beautiful?
  • Options
    THAT's gonna impress my English teacher..:D
  • Options
    WiLL75WiLL75 Posts: 415
    What does everybody think about line6 stuff? I was thinking of getting a dl4 and a mm4. Thoughts? Comments?
    7-9-03 New York(MSG II baby!)
    9-4-05 Calgary (10c Tix!)
    8-8-09 Calgary
    9-21-12 Calgary (10c Tix! Row 12!!)
    My URL
    http://www.myspace.com/thehuskytruckers

http://www.facebook.com
  • Options
    Originally posted by WiLL75
    What does everybody think about line6 stuff? I was thinking of getting a dl4 and a mm4. Thoughts? Comments?

DL4 is incredible.
    MM4 is a hiss filled, toneless disappointment.

in my opinion.

i have a DL4 and i did a full comparison of an MM4 against a boss CH-1, MXR Phase 100 and Voodoo Lab MicroVibe. The MM4 lost to all 3.