i caved and bought a phase 90 for fun

exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
edited March 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
i worked OT today (it was supposed to be a day off) and so i treated my myself and bought a phase90 despite my hatred of dunlop.

i immediately did the R28 mod but i put it on a switch so I could have both.

http://www3.telus.net/alcoholiday/guitar_pics/Phase90%20-%20R28%20Switch.jpg

i'm such a nerd. i like both modes though. and it's quite different than the small stone.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• TelesonicTelesonic Posts: 222
    sweet. nice work. its fun to be a nerd though. i like the phase 90 better than the small stone myself. a clone of the phase 90 is going to be the next pedal i develop. i'm going to add insensity and volume controls along with a switch to make it do a vibrato. i think i've found a way to make it do a univibe sound too. that'll take some experimentation though.
    my life...you electrify my life. let's conspire to reignite...all the souls that would die just feel alive.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    if there are any other cool mods to do to this thing, let me know. the vibrato sounds cool.

i have the info to do a univibe type thing to the small stone but i just haven't bought the capacitors yet.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I haven't gotten to play with the small stones at all really. I like the phase 90 except for the whole dunlop fidelity build quality issues I have, my broken dynacomp staring me in the face as a type.

Cool, man we all need toys.

I bought some new Golf Clubs "finally" and a Harry Kloss radio for my desk at work so I can pick up stations, but get this it has a 75 ohm FM antenna input but no place for the AM. It's a fucking radio that's all it does can I get two more globs of soldier and some 2 cent pressure clips so I can actually get some stations please? Oh well. It's still pretty cool.

I went Strat shopping today and I found out my Guitar Center card has a lot more room on it than I thought my buddy almost talked me into a new custom shop and the guy next to me was trading a 1960 Closet Classic in daphne blue he said he'd sell me for 1100 but I'm to the point now where I'm pretty much dead set on a sunburst although that was a hell of a deal but they barely have any of the new fenders in yet so I'll just have to wait.

Glad you bought yourself a present Ex. It'll be fun anyway. I've got that sound clip loaded up now I just have to send it too you so you can make fun of me.

Anyway have a great afternoon.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Originally posted by exhausted
    i immediately did the R28 mod but i put it on a switch so I could have both.

So, where do I ship mine and how much does the mod work cost?
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    ex, i could send you a schematic with the vibrato mod if you want. you'll just need another switch and a resistor. then, you just have to find the best way of tapping into the circuit.
    my life...you electrify my life. let's conspire to reignite...all the souls that would die just feel alive.
    Originally posted by mccreadyisgod

MIG, i'll do some mods for you free. just send me enough to cover parts and cost of shipping. maybe i could send my overdrive along with it for you to try.
    Originally posted by Telesonic
    MIG, i'll do some mods for you free. just send me enough to cover parts and cost of shipping. maybe i could send my overdrive along with it for you to try.

I would imagine it would be the dog's balls with that sovtek and Mojo tone cab.

Have you had a chance to try a THD cab or a tone tubby cab mig?

check out the used amps here. and the nice teles on the front page.

http://www.fatsoundguitars.com/
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.

I'd really just be looking to do that R28 mod with a switch, just like Ex did... I've always wanted the script logo sound, but didn't want to lose the new sound, either. If you could do that, hell, I'd be interested... let me know... I'm fairly short on funds, but if we were talking $30 for parts and shipping and whatever, that would be worth my time.
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    I would imagine it would be the dog's balls with that sovtek and Mojo tone cab.

Have you had a chance to try a THD cab or a tone tubby cab mig?

check out the used amps here. and the nice teles on the front page.

http://www.fatsoundguitars.com/

I would LOVE to try a THD or Tone Tubby cab, but alas, it's not really easy to do in Buttfuck, Montana. If you catch my drift.

I checked the URL, and I think I'm in love with that single-cut PRS gold-top... 6th one down here:

http://www.fatsoundguitars.com/store/index.html
    yeah I'm in love with the hollowbody 2 and the custom shop sunbursts they pull in seemingly every week.

I understand the not being able to find stuff up there. Hell I haven't been to Atlanta Discount in ages since they moved and even then they are rather stingy with there gear. Hell man I don't want to touch it I just want to hear some one play it. Oh man those Diezels are ugly but boy do they sound amazing.
    I'd really just be looking to do that R28 mod with a switch, just like Ex did... I've always wanted the script logo sound, but didn't want to lose the new sound, either. If you could do that, hell, I'd be interested... let me know... I'm fairly short on funds, but if we were talking $30 for parts and shipping and whatever, that would be worth my time.

i'd say like $15 for parts and shipping.

if tele will do it, i'd go with that. easier than shipping across the border etc. faster too.

on a clean amp, it's a really subtle difference but on a distorted sound you can really hear the chance.

and the tiny bit of boost the effect has normally is eliminated when the feedback resisor is pulled.
    Originally posted by exhausted
    and the tiny bit of boost the effect has normally is eliminated when the feedback resisor is pulled.

That's a damn good thing... that little boost was enough to overdrive my delay unit just a bit, so I was getting VERY unmusical distortion when playing clean. As soon as Tele gets me his info, it's in the mail...
  • MONKEYNUTSMONKEYNUTS Posts: 114
    woTS A FASE 90????

WIr did U duDES [DUDDETTes???] lern ALL dis tecHnIKAL lark??? did yOUS stUDY iT at college or Just lern yaselF?
  • pariahpariah Posts: 596
    ...and why did they put in the R28 resistor in the first place?
    "Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world."
    beats me.

there are a lot of differences between the reissue and the original but this seems to be one way to get a lot closer to the original sound.

i'll never get my hands on an original to compare them side by side so i really don't know how close it is but it is definitely mellower with the feedback loop gone.
    hey ex, i've editted a phase90 schematic to show that vibrato mod i was thinking about. i'll try to post it later tonight when i'm home.
    hey ex, i've editted a phase90 schematic to show that vibrato mod i was thinking about. i'll try to post it later tonight when i'm home.

that sounds great. i'm not sure if there is room for another switch in there but if the vibrato sounds cool. i'll just take R28 out entirely and use the switch space for this new trick.