Huh?

dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
edited July 2022 in All Encompassing Trip
Any of you with kids in the 10-year-old to “start paying bills now, or get the fuck out of my house” range understand a single fucking word that comes out of their Ritalin-starved faces?

I’ve coached younger kids, and they speak proper English. My daughter and her friends, though. Nope. I think I made my daughter upset when I told her that I haven’t understood a single word she’s said to me for at least a year now. I don’t know. I bought her Merriam-Webster’s Collegiate, so maybe we can start there. 

The funny coincidence is that my daughter and I watch shows together—you know, since we can’t hold a conversation—and our present program is Only Murders in the Building. Well, in the latest episode, an older male character asks a younger female character to talk to his (sort of) daughter because he can’t understand her, and the character he asked struggles, too, and taps out. 

There was also a part where the daughter character texted the word “bet” to him, and he was going to text back “how much?” or something like that. My daughter goes, “Oh my God! He doesn’t understand the slang.” So she’s at least sympathetic to fictional characters. (I didn’t understand the slang either, but I was too embarrassed to ask my daughter what it means.)

Who can relate?

More importantly, who can help?
I SAW PEARL JAM
Post edited by dankind on

Comments

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,847
    edited July 2022
    dankind said:
    Any of you with kids in the 10-year-old to “start paying bills now, or get the fuck out of my house” range understand a single fucking word that comes out of their Ritalin-starved faces?

I’ve coached younger kids, and they speak proper English. My daughter and her friends, though. Nope. I think I made my daughter upset when I told her that I haven’t understood a single word she’s said to me for at least a year now. I don’t know. I bought her Merriam-Webster’s Collegiate, so maybe we can start there. 

The funny coincidence is that my daughter and I watch shows together—you know, since we can’t hold a conversation—and our present program is Only Murders in the Building. Well, in the latest episode, an older male character asks a younger female character to talk to his (sort of) daughter because he can’t understand her, and the character he asked struggles, too, and taps out. 

There was also a part where the daughter character texted the word “bet” to him, and he was going to text back “how much?” or something like that. My daughter goes, “Oh my God! He doesn’t understand the slang.” So she’s at least sympathetic to fictional characters. (I didn’t understand the slang either, but I was too embarrassed to ask my daughter what it means.)

Who can relate?

This actually started 25 years ago...  I hated it then, it's worse now.

The Aussies have put a whole new spin on this and the Cockney slang has been around for generations as well as the awful Pig Latin.  But why everyone wants to shorten everything is beyond me.

OMG, totes, bet, bae, soc, and the list goes on.  My GF is a teacher so she tells me the latest ones and they usually don't stay around long so don't worry.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    I think it's odd how they enunciate abbreviations...my daughters will say "el oh el" or "el em ef a oh" to me or each other.

Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    dankind said:

Who can relate?

The Aussies have put a whole new spin on this and the Cockney slang has been around for generations as well as the awful Pig Latin.  But why everyone wants to shorten everything is beyond me.

OMG, totes, bet, bae, soc, and the list goes on.  My GF is a teacher so she tells me the latest ones and they usually don't stay around long so don't worry.
    I was thinking teachers are probably hip to all the slang. I mean, they would have to be, right? @mcgruff10 ?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,201
    dankind said:
    dankind said:

Who can relate?

I was thinking teachers are probably hip to all the slang. I mean, they would have to be, right? @mcgruff10 ?
    I teach 1st grade in Philly and it can be pretty hilarious sometimes. My 6/7 year old students from this past school year would say “breh” and “bussin” a lot. 
    Bussin has been around long enough for me to know. My theory is that it's just how some regional accents (UK and US) mangled the word buzzing, and it stuck.

So, breh? Is 'e' just the latest vowel sound for bro, brah, bruh? And if so, is brih next? Or will it be bryh. Bryh kinda slays all day* now that I look at it.

*Did I get that right? 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    Bussin has been around long enough for me to know. My theory is that it's just how some regional accents (UK and US) mangled the word buzzing, and it stuck.

So, breh? Is 'e' just the latest vowel sound for bro, brah, bruh? And if so, is brih next? Or will it be bryh. Bryh kinda slays all day* now that I look at it.

*Did I get that right? 
    You're fucking doomed...

You want to see it in action on TV?  Watch the Mr.Mayor w Ted Danson.  There is a millennial that is on IG constantly and throws out the slang.  It makes me want to punch the screen but if the cool kids are doing it then you mimic them right?
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Wasn’t there a Curb episode where the chick said “LOL” out loud?

Can’t keep up with slang, don’t care enough about it to do so.

I just use regular English, dammit. 
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    RiotZact said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:

Who can relate?

I teach 1st grade in Philly and it can be pretty hilarious sometimes. My 6/7 year old students from this past school year would say “breh” and “bussin” a lot. 
    My S/O is an educator as well and her students tell her she has "drip".
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    edited July 2022
    The other day a mother saw a mom and her daughter (who looked to be about ten) in a local thrift store looking at stuff animals.  All of the sudden the mom blurted out, "DUDE this one's DOPE".  The kid responded with some kind of strange grunt. 
    What with the more and more ridiculous sounding slang (yeah, I know, some in my generation actually said things like "groovy") and endless acronyms, the English language is...what?  Toast!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    I have to laugh but I'm sure I won't in a few years when the 8 year old is there.
    The almost 18 year old nephew speaks a different language altogether. 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,483
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
    RiotZact said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:

Who can relate?

My S/O is an educator as well and her students tell her she has "drip".
    Drip is swag/swagger.  Songs like Big Drip and Drip too Hard made that one very popular.  Dripping used to be a slang for the paint job you had on your car.
    Listen to Who is Mike Jones an oldy and there is a ton of slang in that song.  The third coast rappers brought a lot of that to the forefront.
    Malroth said:
    I thought you were gonna play the part where they say "show" "reight" slang, lol.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    edited July 2022
    dankind said:
    dankind said:

Who can relate?

A lot yes for sure.   This year for example I had a student ask me to “hit the griddy” in front of the class.  I had zero idea what he was talking about, then he showed me it was a dance move lol.
    “Dab me up” was another one from this past year that I can remember.  
    visco (sp) girls/boys were the worst with this “tsk tsk” to everything.  

But you definitely have to keep up with the lingo since it changes every year.  What sounds offensive might be a compliment.  
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    I overheard a young person say "lawlz." Apparently, that's how you pronounce lol. Huh? I guess actually laughing out loud is a radical concept.
    Hobbes said:
    I overheard a young person say "lawlz." Apparently, that's how you pronounce lol. Huh? I guess actually laughing out loud is a radical concept.
    lolz! :D
    So for older kids; they don't even acknowledge my existence. It's pretty funny.

My nine-year-old son goes to the School of Rock, and his band rehearses at the same time as the teenage band rehearses. So while I'm waiting around on the SoR couches for his rehearsal to be over, I'm often joined by members of the teenage band who don't have a part in the song currently being rehearsed. I use joined fairly loosely because I really don't think they even know that I'm there. I've had one of them sit halfway on my lap and carry on a conversation with their bandmates about Ben Folds without so much as looking at me. I didn't really know what to do, so I just sat still and hoped that their song was going to be rehearsed soon. :lol:

Every once in a while, I'll have an opinion strong enough about their conversation that I open my mouth to express it. In such cases, they look in my direction with weird expressions on their faces because the couch just talked.  
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:

My nine-year-old son goes to the School of Rock, and his band rehearses at the same time as the teenage band rehearses. So while I'm waiting around on the SoR couches for his rehearsal to be over, I'm often joined by members of the teenage band who don't have a part in the song currently being rehearsed. I use joined fairly loosely because I really don't think they even know that I'm there. I've had one of them sit halfway on my lap and carry on a conversation with their bandmates about Ben Folds without so much as looking at me. I didn't really know what to do, so I just sat still and hoped that their song was going to be rehearsed soon. :lol:

Every once in a while, I'll have an opinion strong enough about their conversation that I open my mouth to express it. In such cases, they look in my direction with weird expressions on their faces because the couch just talked.  
    lolz

I sometimes am scared to talk to teens.  I don't want them thinking I'm a creep.  I'm at an age where I don't want it weird...
  • ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,624
    dankind said:

The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11