it was an UGLY surgery......

exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
edited January 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
but the patient survived. mucho unfun job this was but they're in and working on the first try. those extra switches made for a lot of shit to cram in there. i don't want to have to do this job again anytime soon.

http://www3.telus.net/alcoholiday/guitar_pics/strat.jpg

http://www3.telus.net/alcoholiday/guitar_pics/strat%20new%20pups.jpg

3 seymour duncan classic stacks. of course, as soon as i went to tune it up, i broke a string. i'll post a review tomorrow probably. gotta go to bed.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• it looks about 1000x better with a black pic guard BTW. If I knew anything about wiring I would say good job. But good job on the cosmetics anyway
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    damn that thing looks awesome now. I like it.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • i made a weird guitar out my epiphone and the wiring was a pain. looks neat, how did the wiring go for you? are those just normal knobs or are those push pull kind.
  • pariahpariah Posts: 596
    That's what I call a facelift.. what do the switches do?
    "Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world."
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    normal pots, not push/pulls. and the toggles control series/parallel for the middle and bridge pups.
    Talk about versatility...
    "Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world."
    something like 11 sounds i think.
    Guitar playing gets into whole new dimensions that way... needing a second player / third arm to handle all the switches.. :)
  • your a lefty :O :D
    im left handed myself but play the regular way round, dont know why
  • low_lightlow_light Posts: 251
    looks great, Ex.

-d
    www.myspace.com/eotoband
    Originally posted by pariah
    Guitar playing gets into whole new dimensions that way... needing a second player / third arm to handle all the switches.. :)

generally, i find i leave the one on my tele in the series position as it's darker and fuller. it's the same with the strat. so most of the time, i'm still only working with 2 or 3 sounds tops.

parallel gives a really twangy sound that isn't as useful all the time. but it's nice to have all the options.
    True. THough I can imagine it makes the thing hard to sell when you'd want to... but then again, if I were you I wouldn't want to sell it anyway. Blah.
    Originally posted by pariah
    True. THough I can imagine it makes the thing hard to sell when you'd want to... but then again, if I were you I wouldn't want to sell it anyway. Blah.

nah, the 6 i have now are the six i'm keeping forever. i no longer have any plans to buy guitars. the pickup upgrades i did on the fenders filled in a lot of gaps.
  • I can't remember ever seeing "pretty" surgery! It's the results that count.
    The patient looks awesome with the black pickguard.
    Doctor Exhausted should be proud of the operation!

I want to do that to my G&L legacy for the bridge and middle with those duncans.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
  • Generally, I'm not a fan of phase and series-agile wiring, but that looks really damned nice. Can you get at the switches and pots without knocking things around? That would be my biggest fear. The cosmetics are very well-done. I'm really interested in how the stacks sound... let us know, eh Ex?
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    i'll try to do some clips when i have the time. they do sound good though.

i've found that i can still get at everything and not knock something accidentally. the switches themselves take a fairly positive force to move.
  • Cool... great job, anyways. Looking forward to the clips.
    i guess since i played it for a while i can give some sort of thughts on it.

the stock pickups were quite thin sounding really. for that reason (and the hum) i didn't play the guitar much. neck was the only useable position for me.

these new ones are much richer and less shrill. still sounds like a strat but it's much more refined. the bridge position is still a little too harsh for my tastes but i think i'm just anti-bridge anyway.

the 2 and 4 positions still quack like stock but they don't lose balls like they did.

switching the coils to parallel gives a really mid-heavy twangy thing. i won't use it much but it would be useful for some complimentary tones on recordings possible.

and of course, no more hum. i'm finally able to take my NS-2 out of my pedal chain again.
  • Cool, I may do that to my G&L. The pickups are great, but the bridge is too shrill, and weak.

Nice looking guitar, exhausted. Thanks for posting that.
    Be kind, man
    I'm still singing praises for my Quarter-Pounder. What a great pup! Although it is single-coil...

That was the other one I was considering. I think I may have one in a Mexican Strat. I forget anymore:(
    Jet lag,,ahem,,,,(not age:D) does that to you! I should check, because that is great sounding,too
    Be kind, man
    Closest thing to P-90 tone in a Fender single-coil slot.

Hmmm, not what I got, but I should grab one and check it out.

Right now, though, I have to go out my front door, back into American society, and see about going to earn a living......DOHHHHH!!!!
    I FORGOT about that. It is very weird being back here after 3 months pretty much gone!
    Be kind, man

Right now, though, I have to go out my front door, back into American society, and see about going to earn a living......DOHHHHH!!!!
    I FORGOT about that. It is very weird being back here after 3 months pretty much gone!

You gotta pay the bills, eh Bob?

There's always the beach waiting when you get back...