mesa lone star special

exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
edited February 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
http://mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Lonestar/LonestarSpecial.htm

this could be the exact thing i've been looking for.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I'm likin' the looks of that.

The Black Shadow speaker is a huge plus, too...

Available as a short head on request, too.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    the price is decent too. well, for a mesa anyway. it's about 2100 canadian.

i'd have to let go of my DR and guitars to do it though so i'm really hesitant to even try it but it really looks like something to aim for someday. maybe find a used one at some point.
  • exhausted wrote:
    the price is decent too. well, for a mesa anyway. it's about 2100 canadian.

i'd have to let go of my DR and guitars to do it though so i'm really hesitant to even try it but it really looks like something to aim for someday. maybe find a used one at some point.

Anything good in life is worth waiting for.
    Anything good in life is worth waiting for.

i just went and punished the sin of lust by raising my mortgage payment.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    nice, black shadow speaker too. Could be very cool if slightly tweeker overkill which is kind of mesa's bit anyway

Cool rig though. I'd like to take it for a test drive.

I don't know about ditching the DR. Sooner or later you'll be longing for a 6v6 or 6l6 amp too
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Which is why I'd be looking at a THD Uni- or Bi-Valve.
  • Wow, What versatility. From your bedroom to the moslon amphitheatre. Almost anyway. It is a very good lookin amp to boot.
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • I see your Lone Star, and I raise you one Trem-O-Verb:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43374&item=3778540945&rd=1
  • The things you happen upon without looking for them:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43372&item=3779331117&rd=1
  • ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • That a good amp?

Only have heard you guys talk about ampeg.
    I see your Lone Star, and I raise you one Trem-O-Verb:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43374&item=3778540945&rd=1

100W amps are useless to me.
  • exhausted wrote:
    100W amps are useless to me.

Then the 18-watt Marshall clone should be ideal!
    Then the 18-watt Marshall clone should be ideal!

probably. i'm sure it's quite nice.

guess what i get in the mail today. the shop is having another 0% sale. fuckers.

i tried a univalve and quite liked it. i probably should have grabbed it since it was a good price (used). i could have sold the DR and the hotplate for a good chunk of change.

live and learn.
  • That a good amp?

Only have heard you guys talk about ampeg.

They're great amps... tend to have a pretty balls-y sound, very distinctive. I'd love to have one like that... although it's probably rated at about 80 watts, which is a little big. The blown speaker is a non-issue... I'd be swapping some Webers in that thing right away. Built like a tank, for sure...
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    what about maven peal?

oh and ampegs do kick ass. I loved the HLF ported bass cabs they came out with a few years ago.

the local blues man "Houserocker" Johnson plays a 4x10 ampeg with his 335. Personally I prefer the mid 60's BF fenders, but it is a nice amp, super clean, and it suits him because his lead player is unbelievable and he's got a tone king that's nice and dirty.

Mike used reverb rockets while recording Binaural. I loved the little tremolo super jet, and then there's always the porta bass.

Ampeg kicks ass for bass or guitar the BA-115's are some of the coolest little home practice to gig bass amps there are.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • MIG

When you say an amp has a ballsy sound what exactly does that mean? I hear it used as a descriptor of amps often. And what would be the opposite of ballsy?

Thanks
  • MIG

When you say an amp has a ballsy sound what exactly does that mean? I hear it used as a descriptor of amps often. And what would be the opposite of ballsy?

Thanks

"Ballsy" implies a lot of bass and low-mid response. Like you can really feel it playing... it would be great for a rhythm player, or someone who plays both rhythm AND lead. Remember, Ampeg is world-famous for their bass amps, so even their guitar amps are pretty low-heavy.

The Rocket and Jet amps are a little more balanced... similar to a Fender Hot Rod or Peavey Classic amp. Really nice, though... a friend of mine has a Reverb-O-Rocket, and loves it. Great tone.

The opposite of balls would be presence... a lot of high-mid and highs. Which is better for speedy leads.