Options

screw george L's

exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
edited January 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
i bought 3m of instrument cable for $5.00 and a bunch of right angle plugs for $1.32 each (canadian) and even though i'm only half done wiring the board, it already is quieter and sounds better. i had to backorder the other 14 plugs i needed so i won't be done until next week.

save major cash kids. make your own cables.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    Just got generic stuff?

I use Radio Shack patch and Hosa instrument, so I'm no cable purist... but I'm no solder king, either, so I guess I'm just a helpless wimp.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    digiflex cable and mode electronics plugs. sure, i had to solder them but it takes me maybe a minute per end so not a big deal.

i made a whole new board today. fits in my SKB bag but has more usable surface than the SKB.
  • Options
    I know that soldering is pretty easy when you get the hang of it, I just never learned. Like I said, I'm a wimp.

Good deal, Ex... way to take the reigns... post pics of the new board when you get a chance.
  • Options
    here's the board. half done. 26"x14" piece of particle board. equalizer is for my acoustic line. the tremolo is for use with the line6 pod. i need a good chorus pedal to take it's place when i'm using my deluxe reverb.

http://www3.telus.net/alcoholiday/guitar_pics/pedals.jpg

closer shot of the plugs i'm using.
    http://www3.telus.net/alcoholiday/guitar_pics/pedals2.jpg
  • Options
    The flat-headed 90-degree plugs, I assume? Those are fucking nice... and the pedalboard looks VERY nice... tidy, not crowded, very well arranged. I want you to make me one now...
  • Options
    well, i cut two panels :) but there is really nothing tricky to it. making the cables and patch boxes take the most effort.

and yeah, the metal flathead plugs are the new ones.
  • Options
    Pepe SilviaPepe Silvia Posts: 3,758
    That is nice...never looked into George L's but I do need new ones...I take it George L's are overpriced?
    don't compete; coexist

what are you but my reflection? who am i to judge or strike you down?

"I will promise you this, that if we have not gotten our troops out by the time I am president, it is the first thing I will do. I will get our troops home. We will bring an end to this war. You can take that to the bank." - Barack Obama

when you told me 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em'
    i was thinkin 'death before dishonor'
  • Options
    george l's are expensive but i wouldn't call them overpriced. you compare them to the cost of switchcraft plugs and they're pretty much the same. the one's i used were cheap but they seem like they'll do nicely for what i need.

i wanted george l's for quite a while but it would cost way too much to do my board (enough to do 6 pedals is $50US alone) so i just decided to see what i could find locally and it'll end up maybe costing a quater of what order stuff from the states would have been. no one carries george l's around here.
  • Options
    Pepe SilviaPepe Silvia Posts: 3,758
    ok, maybe not overpriced but you're saying there's options just as good or almost to George L's for a cheaper price? I have a few more pedals so and don't want to spend a ton on the patch and instrument cables
    don't compete; coexist

what are you but my reflection? who am i to judge or strike you down?

"I will promise you this, that if we have not gotten our troops out by the time I am president, it is the first thing I will do. I will get our troops home. We will bring an end to this war. You can take that to the bank." - Barack Obama

when you told me 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em'
    i was thinkin 'death before dishonor'
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Originally posted by exhausted
    digiflex cable and mode electronics plugs. sure, i had to solder them but it takes me maybe a minute per end so not a big deal.

i made a whole new board today. fits in my SKB bag but has more usable surface than the SKB.

people get paid big bucks to make cables for studios. Good job.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    Originally posted by GlorifiedG
    ok, maybe not overpriced but you're saying there's options just as good or almost to George L's for a cheaper price? I have a few more pedals so and don't want to spend a ton on the patch and instrument cables

George L's are really pretty cheap as cables go. Hell the monster cables and planet waves are the ones overpriced.

George L's are great cables too. Ex just found a way to make his own kudos, but you don't have to soldier George L's. A 5 cable effects pedal kit is available for around 50 bucks. 10 bucks a patch cable is pretty standard.

If you buy them from keeley instead he'll put shrink wrap on the outside for the same price. 10 bucks a piece great sound quality. In my opinion the best. Eric Johnson uses George L's and he's about as anal about tone as one can be.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    planet waves are really expensive here so i never even considered them.

i priced out 26 ends and cable from george l's and 26 ends and cable from switchcraft and belden. those i would have to order. both options about $135US or so.

so i did what i could for about $45canadian. i just couldn't justify the expense.

i did what i could and my noise level is cut a bit and my frequency response is better so i'm happy.
  • Options
    I feel kinda bad about using cheap cables, but right now, fidelity is a luxury, not a necessity. Still, I get pissed at people with great gear all around except poor speakers... so I guess I'm just as bad as anyone. We all have our pet peeves, and we all have the things we could care less about.

I just can't believe how well that pedalboard looks... that's so damned nice!
  • Options
    i just have to make a more durable A/B box now and it should be good.

i have 2 spots for dist/overdrive and two spots for modulation. what's in those two spots may change once in a while but i think i'm pretty close to done. i have so much range in my pod programs that i don't need anything else.
  • Options
    Originally posted by exhausted
    planet waves are really expensive here so i never even considered them.

i priced out 26 ends and cable from george l's and 26 ends and cable from switchcraft and belden. those i would have to order. both options about $135US or so.

so i did what i could for about $45canadian. i just couldn't justify the expense.

i did what i could and my noise level is cut a bit and my frequency response is better so i'm happy.

necessity is the mother of invention. I bet it sounds much better.
  • Options
    so check out the snaz a/b box i made. it didn't show well in the picture but it's flecked blue.

http://www3.telus.net/alcoholiday/guitar_pics/AB%20switcher.jpg