my TR-2 is off to be modded

exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
edited January 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
i sent my TR-2 to this guy. http://www.indyguitarist.com.

he's using it to develop different mods and in exchange, i get it hot rodded for free.

so we'll see what he comes up with. all i want for sure is a lower noise floor and some volume control.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Originally posted by exhausted
    i sent my TR-2 to this guy. http://www.indyguitarist.com.

he's using it to develop different mods and in exchange, i get it hot rodded for free.

so we'll see what he comes up with. all i want for sure is a lower noise floor and some volume control.

Sweet, so yours is the guinea pig. Volume and low noise is a big deal to me. Every pedal needs a volume control.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    Sweet, so yours is the guinea pig. Volume and low noise is a big deal to me. Every pedal needs a volume control.

yup. i asked for volume control stacked onto the waveform control but even an internal trim would be good.
    Originally posted by exhausted
    yup. i asked for volume control stacked onto the waveform control but even an internal trim would be good.

Just so the total volume level dosen't drop when you engage the trem.

Have you bought any kits from him?

The weber is getting ordered from Ted this evening. 40 bucks.

How's that for a bargain?
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    i haven't bought a kit from him yet. still waiting for my damn DS-1 anyway. i'll try experimenting on my own first and if things go pear shaped, then i'll order a kit from him.

and that's a damn good deal on the weber.
    I think there are a couple vox's that end today but I've decided to pay off the BR-532 next month and be done with that. I'll probably buy a vox in a couple of weeks. I think modding the pot and inductor won't be too hard, I'd like a volume control if just a bit of boost so that it won't get quiet when it's engaged. I'm keeping the Morley in the loop as a buffer and it just seems neat to have 2 wahs, of course I'm true bypassing it too. In the end Wah's are pretty simple I think the capacitors make less of an impact on the tone than do other things so having the "tropical fish caps of the RMC's are probably minimal difference, when I find some I'll change them. It's a hell of a lot cheaper than $235

You might check the weber website I didn't know he also sold caps and resistors among just about everything else you need to build things. cheap too.
  • You know, the Keeley has volume control... you can even use it for a clean boost!
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    i give full props to keeley b/c he has the technical knowledge to back up his mods. it isn't hit or miss with him b/c he knows his shit.

but damn it all who markets the clean boosting aspect of a tremolo?
    I would guess he's just adding that in there so we'll know how loud it is. No one uses tremolos for that purpose.

In all honesty I bought the rat for that purpose but it's not as clean as I wanted. I realized that really comes from compression.

But we'll see how it goes. I think I'm addicted to boost pedals now although I don't have much more of a use for them, I just want them to play with. Kind of like adding power and all.

I don't like the Way Keeley's Tremolo looks either. I'd rather have analogmans.
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    I don't like the Way Keeley's Tremolo looks either. I'd rather have analogmans.

it looks dumb with the big knobs and the little concentric.

i think i'm sending my taiwanese GE-7 to this guy. http://www.tone-jam.com. $40 shipped to kill all the hiss.

i was trying mine out as a boost last night and it's way too damn noisy in an electric chain. i use my japanese one in my acoustic chain but piezos are dead quiet so it's not an issue there.

on the MIT GE-7, if you *cut* any frequency, not even boost, it starts to hiss.
    The guy with that GE-7 sniper mod is cool too. I'll work on the EQ later i think I'm halfway considering a rack EQ amongst other things. I need a new computer and desk to record on.
    i got it back today.

blah. i hate it.

it's got a volume *boost* now that is more annoying that the volume drop it used to have.

the switch is noisy now.

i can't discern any change to the waveform control.

the rate control goes from not slow enough to uselessly fast.

and it's noise floor is higher than it was in it's stock form. reduction of hiss was my main goal in getting it modded.

thumbs down. blah. glad i have amp tremolo and i'm using the amp for all my recording now.