i'm going to make a feedback loop pedal tonight

exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
edited March 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
for something to do. i found this schematic and it's stupidly easy.

http://experimentalistsanonymous.com/diy/Schematics/Feedback%20loop.gif

there's a pedal called a total sonic annihilation by death by audio that sells for $150US (freakin' hell) and this is all it is. and the TSA doesn't even have the switch to shut the feedback off.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    yeah I'm Familiar with death by audio, I can't imagine paying 150 for it but that will be cool. Good luck.

I just got back from the post office, I mailed the lame duck DC to Telesonic.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    well, here's what it looks like at least.

http://www3.telus.net/alcoholiday/guitar_pics/feedback.jpg

it works but i'm still experimenting to figure it out. how interesting it is all depends on what pedals are in the loop. pretty much need a gain pedal for it to really be interesting though.
    cool, very 3ms esque with the socket box look. I like blue.

I would imagine uber high gain is where it really shines if you can call it that. Greenwood would be proud.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    they say you can blow your speakers pretty easily if there's a high gain pedal in the loop.
    Originally posted by exhausted
    they say you can blow your speakers pretty easily if there's a high gain pedal in the loop.

It's all dependant on how much distorton you have going to your speakers and how much volume you are using.

Distortion kills speakers much earlier than wattage, that's why the Super Duper 2 in 1 is so dangerous.

As long as you are conservative with the total output you'll be fine for a while. I was thinking of what it would sound like in the loop of say a Mesa Triple Rec.
    i only played with it a bit last night with my DS-1 and phase 90 in the loop and got some pretty cool sounds out of it. every knob has much more effect when you're feeding back into it so i could use the tone knob on the DS-1 to make almost theremin type sounds. i used the DS-1 level knob to control the output volume.

uselessly uncontrollable and random for a live application but fun for at home.
    indeed, it was cheap too. who needs TV when you have uncontrollable feedback?
    ok, it's up and running perfectly now. and i use the term perfectly loosely. this is probably the coolest and most useless pedal ever. i've updated the picture with everything labelled. i can't believe they try to sell these for 150 bucks.

basically, the only thing you have control over is the ratio of input into the box. and you can shut the feedback off. that's it. everything else is totally random and pretty much any knob or switch whether it's in the loop or not will affect the sound. it's pretty insane.

pretty need a gain pedal in the loop but beyond that, anything works except for chorus it seems. wah is nuts. just nuts.

i'll try to do some clips at some point.
    http://www.musictoyz.com/guitar/pedals/e13.php

speaking of external feedback loops, try a fuzz with it, it could enhance the theramin effect