what's your musical dream?

exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
edited February 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
saw this on another board and it's a cool thread?

so what do you dream of accomplishing with music?

myself, i'd think it was really cool if something that i wrote connected with someone listening to it. that it relayed a shared feeling. basically, what i feel when i listen to a lot of paul westerberg's songs. not that i'm vain enough to think i'm a talented as pw. just that in that purging something from my head, i connected with somone else's thoughts.

and my unrealisitc fantasy dream would be to be in a band as cool as teenage fanclub or idlewild. pj is out of the scope of my comprehension as far as aspirations for coolness.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• If we ever make it (probably we'd have to move to the U.S. and become citizens, and that's just not happening), I'd like to, don't know if it's possible, to have the admiration of let's say John Lennon and the annonimity of Krist Novoselic... I want to be heard but have my private life at the same time.

No band is out of your league unless you try to copy them. Authenticity is what I look for in a band and that's what we put up on stage, most of the time.
    Ha ha I've a custy
  • Originally posted by exhausted

myself, i'd think it was really cool if something that i wrote connected with someone listening to it. that it relayed a shared feeling. basically, what i feel when i listen to a lot of paul westerberg's songs. not that i'm vain enough to think i'm a talented as pw. just that in that purging something from my head, i connected with somone else's thoughts.

yeah ex. just to have someone get something out of a song you've written would be amazing. to be able to see how people interpret what you've written and how they relate it to their lives.
    my life...you electrify my life. let's conspire to reignite...all the souls that would die just feel alive.
  • djyman15djyman15 Posts: 181
    I want to touch lives. I want to save lives. I want people to say, "wow, that is one hell of a guitar player." I wouldnt mind being in a band like the Replacements where people will discover your music years after mainly. But mainly, I just want to write someones favorite song and play it for them
    "Even if your heart would listen, I doubt I could explain"-Jimmy Eat World
  • it appears that heaps of ppl want the same ...but while i also want the same thing along with world peice and a great behind i think id have to be different and say...if like someone to just appreciate music for wat it is more often , rather than thinking of money everytime music becomes a topic or subject for discussion...i think u guys have a lot of soul and im heaps happy to hear that yous are heaps into just loving music and not trying to over interprit wat its bout....and making it into something its just simply not...but then again on the other hand ( and i know i might sound like im contradicting myself ) im glad that yous can listen to music and understand wat its bout and see why ppl love making it...its a gift and its clear to see most of u have gotten the grasp of it ....so yeh my main ultimate when it comes to music is to make music like...Kenny Wayne Shepperd , Jeff Buckly and Jimmy Paige....to have it appreciated and loved by more than one or two ppl and to basically make a difference in the way ppl percieve music....oh also id like to learn how to play piano now that ive finished mastering guitar for the past 7 yrs !!! :D

thanks happy posting
    3:30 in the afternoon
    an affluent suburb
    64 degrees and cloudy
  • I just wanna have fun, I make music for myself. The fact that I have no talent whatsoever plays a part in that, yes, but honestly, if I could find a good mate to jam with in my living room, I'd be the happiest musician ever.
  • MONKEYNUTS IS WID pearlWAx on dis oNE. HEs NOT REALlY ARSeD IF HIS mUSIk affecTS ANy1 In a posiTiVE WAy. HE JUST Loves playIn his guiTAR FOR HiMSELf

MONKEYNUTS FUlfilled oNE OF His MusiK dreams LAST week WEN he jamMED WID A maTE [iT WAS A a few baKIn tracKS HiS MAte made den MONKEYNUTS AND HIS MAte playIN GuitAR oVER iT]

HIS NEXT DREAM WUD b to acTuallY RECORD some of de sonGS HE HAS ROte
  • Pearlxax and Monkeynuts have a point....... Due to my utter lack of talent and inexperience in the guitar my musical dream would just be writing music, jamming with a friend and be satisified with it.
    Like for example i went to a friend's house and brought my acoustic with me...... He had this really nifty recording program in his PC and a mic so we recorded a couple of ''original'' riffs and a really really really bad cover of Tangerine (lol).
    But you know what? it felt great...... and when i came home and he Emailed me those bits.... i felt a fuzzy feeling inside just listening to them and realizing i just recorded my first sounds....
    Well enough ramble, here's my side of the argument hope u enjoyed it :)
    There'll be time for laughing
    Theres no time to cry..........
  • What would I like to accomplish with music...hrmm...

If I could write a song and just touch one persons life, then I would be completely happy with that, even if that person is me. I can play guitar and sing, but I would like to play bass and get better on drums and piano. I agree with the people above. I just love to jam with people and the times we have playing are some of the greatest times of my life.
  • digsterdigster Posts: 1,293
    I'm not a great guitarist, and I'm a terrible singer, but to be honest, I want to change the music world. I want to be REALLY different. I want to headline MSG, do all that stuff, play to a crowd of thousands. I want to be an activist, a real person, and a hell of a musician.

Now, it's very possible that I don't have to talent to gain that, but I guess I aim pretty high. I want to accomplish all that; I just don't know how. I love playing guitar so much, but I'm not sure 'rock band with guitars' is going to accomplish everything I want to do.
  • ExodusExodus Posts: 212
    i just want to make a living from it..
    it that means sahring a crappy apartment with my band mates and eating mac and cheese everynight... it'd be worth it.
    just playing music till the cows come home man...
    Between the conception and the creation

Between the emotion and the response

Falls the shadow.
  • Right now, I would love to write a good song with good lyrics. So far, with everything I write, either the music sucks or the lyrics suck. :(

If I can get beyond that, I'd love to form a band, have some fun, maybe even be able to touch someone with music.

But it's frustrating when I can't express myself adquately.

If anyone doesn't recognize the following, it's "Man of Golden Words" by Mother Love Bone. I think it fits with the discussion.

Wanna show you something like
    The joy inside my heart
    Seems I've been living in the temple of the dog
    Where would I live, if I were a man of golden words?
    And would I live, at all?
    Words and music, my only tools
    Communication

And on her arrival, I will set free the birds
    It's a pretty time of year, and the mountains sing out loud
    Tell me, Mr. Golden Words, how's about the world?
    Tell me can you tell at all?
    Words and music, my only tools
    Communication
    Let's fall in love with music
    The driving force in our living
    The only international language
    Divine glory, the expression
    The knees bow, the tongue confesses
    The lord of lords, the king of kings
    The king of kings

Words and music - my only tools
    Communication
    "Dude...it's a hamburger on top of a rocket ship!"
  • djyman15djyman15 Posts: 181
    great song alter. i know what you mean i think. How cool would it be to live in a single apartment with all your bandmates? even if you werent successful i think that would kickass. granted growing up now i dont have much money but oh well. i think it would kick ass. but i still want to be a rock star. But a good one.
    "Even if your heart would listen, I doubt I could explain"-Jimmy Eat World
  • well personally for me making money from playing and making music that i love is just a bonus ....i guess its up to the individual.....btw nice alter....keep working man :D u got something
    3:30 in the afternoon
    an affluent suburb
    64 degrees and cloudy
  • You guys are about to consider me the biggest geek on Godess's green earth.

Right now I'm in a band, and we're having a lot of fun with that. I play some guitar, I sing, and we kind of work well together.

But I'd really like to be in an opera. I can't write music, or lyrics, worth diddly shit. My voice is my clincher. I know it's not going to happen, but I love singing, and I love acting, and I don't have a Broadway voice, so being in an opera is kind of a fantasy of mine.
    I've noticed that our senators
    have very funny names.
    Like Lincoln, Zell, and Saxby.
    What's wrong with things like "James"?
    I think that this is crazy.
    I think that it should stop.
    I think this is the reason
    They confirmed John Ashcroft.
  • Originally posted by thewaxtadpole
    You guys are about to consider me the biggest geek on Godess's green earth.

Right now I'm in a band, and we're having a lot of fun with that. I play some guitar, I sing, and we kind of work well together.

But I'd really like to be in an opera. I can't write music, or lyrics, worth diddly shit. My voice is my clincher. I know it's not going to happen, but I love singing, and I love acting, and I don't have a Broadway voice, so being in an opera is kind of a fantasy of mine.

Nice fantasy....nothing geeky about it! :)
  • woodsywoodsy Posts: 5
    To jam with PJ and ben harper together. I play guitar and would love to jam out with those guys. After that I would be happy. The girls after the show would be a bonus to
    woodsy
  • My dream is to get so good that I influence people. Not just musically, but politicaly and mentally. Like Woodstock stuff, where people hear the music and want to take a stand. Okay more Rage against the Machines than Woodstock, but you get the point. And the stage diving kicks ass, I'd like to aspire towards that too.
    Support you local anarchist
  • I want to be a famous hockey player. I want to be skilled in different ways, like be a musicianist, and play hockey. I play the drums and im o.k. i would be better if i practiced more but it would be awesome if i just woke up with talent, and i played for a popular band and made a lot of money. Then i would retire early so that i can still get drafted from the O.H.L or a university, and play in the N.H.L

~I Love hockey. I Love the drums. and . I Love girls~
    ~Can let you roam inside my head~
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    what about the bling factor?
    no one here wants to make millions, see the world and get all the women?
    Geez whats the world coming to LOLOLOL
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
  • puremagicpuremagic Posts: 1,907
    Originally posted by thewaxtadpole

But an off Broadway play is never unrealistic.
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
  • surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    I'd be happy if I could write a song that really captures what I feel and hear inside. I'd be knocked out amazed if it then resonated with people.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • pariahpariah Posts: 596
    Originally posted by thewaxtadpole

That's cool!

Myself... I would like to live from making music... make just enough money to stay alive and keep gigging, making music that actually touches (SOME) people like some music touches me. Cliché.... yet so true.
    "Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world."
  • puremagicpuremagic Posts: 1,907
    I think I can now say I honestly play for the love music. If what I write has an impact on someone that is a bonus, but just to have my music heard, even if its just down the street is an achievement because its my music and my playing.

There's one place I'd like to play House of Blues in New Orleans.
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.