i'm trying out a whammy reissue and some other stuff

exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
edited April 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
tax refund came and i'm a weak, little man. most went to my debt but i picked up an expression pedal for my DL4 (very cool) and i'm trying out the digitech WH4 whammy reissue.

i never though i'd buy another digitech product. my first effects came from an old digitech RP10 multi-effect that did it's job at the time but sounds pretty horrible in retrospect. but i thought i'd try the whammy since i've heard it in a few track that i like. i'm *not* doing the whole morello/greenwood thing with it though. i miss my octaver but thought i'd get something with a bit more range of pitchshifting.

anyway, it sounds 100x better than the pitchshifting/whammy in the RP10. it tracks single notes well and the tracking on chords is so bad it's good. i actually like the bad tracking as an effect in itself.

the bypass is really good too. i've heard people complain about it but i couldn't hear the difference between it's bypass and true bypass.

it's got one big probably though: a latency in response that consumes your pick attack when playing clean. i'm still playing with pedal order etc. to see if i can overcome that. unfortunately, if i can't, i don't think i'll keep it.

but it sure is fun. i'm really getting into this noisescape kinda thing.

the expression pedal on the DL4 is great fun too. it's not as useable as it would be with an FM4 or MM4 but it's nice to have pedal control over repeats and delay time for some weird effects. it was cheap so what the heck.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    yeah, as pitch shifters go that whammy is really cool. I'm still learning the DL-4 at this point.

Glad you got a nice return.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    keep handy those little stickers that describe what tweak and tweeze does to each model in the DL4. it really helps when learning the pedal. those controls are usually pretty subtle so it's hard to tell exactly what they're doing without the decoder ring.

i'm liking the whammy over the OC-2 i had. simulating a bass is much more convincing.

and the two octave up thing does this crazy "musicbox on an am radio" kinda thing b/c of the tracking. it's great. i just have to learn the best pick attack to use with this thing.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Originally posted by exhausted
    keep handy those little stickers that describe what tweak and tweeze does to each model in the DL4. it really helps when learning the pedal. those controls are usually pretty subtle so it's hard to tell exactly what they're doing without the decoder ring.

i'm liking the whammy over the OC-2 i had. simulating a bass is much more convincing.

and the two octave up thing does this crazy "musicbox on an am radio" kinda thing b/c of the tracking. it's great. i just have to learn the best pick attack to use with this thing.

The many modes it has and the treadle and knob to switch between them and what you get makes it that much better than any other pitch shifter for me.

When Mars Music closed I almost bought one for $110 but then I thought what would I really do with it? Some times I'm too practical for my own good.

Funny I can't give away that Little Lanilei Reverb I bought last week. Currently it's at 71 dollars with a day to go.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • parchyparchy Posts: 205
    I swear... we need like, a bass sub-forum within this one....
    Make Movies. Don't make Videos. Videos are evil.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    played it some more. i can't get past the loss of pick attack and the switch noise so it's going back. oh well.

if i really want some sort of weird dive bomb once in a while i'll go back to my old RP10.