Options

Songs you thought would be hits but never were

pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,196
so what songs have you heard where you thought "that's a hit" but never really were?  Here is my first one

Black Gold - Soul Asylum from Grave Dancers Union - Went to #4 on US Mainstream rock but really thought it would have been a huge hit.  so catchy

Comments

• Options
    Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    edited June 2022
    Grey street… where are you going was the hit on that album and it’s awful or at a minimum it was way over played 

at concerts it’s the opposite but just considering mainstream hits. Grey Street isn’t one 
    Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,876
    pjhawks said:
    so what songs have you heard where you thought "that's a hit" but never really were?  Here is my first one

Black Gold - Soul Asylum from Grave Dancers Union - Went to #4 on US Mainstream rock but really thought it would have been a huge hit.  so catchy
    I think that is my favorite song on that album.

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,719
    The Replacements, "Left of the Dial".  If that's not a hit, I don't know what is.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    Right on OP! That whole record is awesome! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,196
    Here's another one.  Roger Daltry "After the Fire"  from 1985.  Did well in UK but not much here in the States.   Still love this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90rCKfhH-3w

• Options
    Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    edited June 2022
    Aquatic Mouth Dance.

it’s not a single and arguably it’s the catchiest song on unlimited love. If It was up to me I would have picked that one as the lead single 

its very current but I don’t think it’s going to be considered a hit. It should be 
    Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,015
    St Joe on the School Bus by Marcy Playground.  It is my favorite song on the album and the reason I bought it.  Didn't care for Sex and Candy much.  The whole album is very underrated.
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,868
    Half of Train's self titled debut should have been hits.  Amazing record before they went for the pop money grab post Drops of Jupiter (arguably the first step).  I cannot listen to most stuff since, but there debut is still one of my all time favorite rock albums.  FREE, Days, I am, if you leave, Idaho...full of great songs.  Pat Monahan was amazing on that record, great guitarwork...