Best sounding albums all time

Curious to get peoples thoughts on the best sounding albums/specific pressings ever. Not the best band or your favorite album necessarily.  I’m looking for music that the sound quality makes it great even if it’s not your favourite artist or genre.  The kind of stuff you would play for people who don’t get why you listen to vinyl.  

For example I’ve heard great things about Roger Waters Amused to death but never heard it on vinyl 

for me I would probably say
1. Dave Brubeck Time Out - AP 45 Rpm. That one sounds like it was recorded yesterday. You can’t date it based on the recording equipment 
2. Miles Davis Kind of Blue UHQR AP
3. Muddy Waters Folk Singer AP 45/Mofi (this one even only for the dynamics)
4.  Beach Boys Pet Sounds (stereo for me over mono) AP 45 RPM 

for a non audiophile reissue label 
Radiohead In Rainbows 45 RPM

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    edited June 2022
    The two most recent albums I bought are not only current favorites these day, they also sound absolutely terrific!
    The Dream Syndicate  Ultraviolet Battle Hymns And True Confessions 2022  Vinyl - DiscogsBlake Babies  Sunburn 1990 Vinyl - Discogs

Another couple I think sound terrific are (especial the Raji's- super good pressing and incredible sound for a live LP):

Only Everything - WikipediaThe Dream Syndicate  The Complete Live At Rajis 2017 Blue  White   Black Marbled 180 Gram Vinyl - Discogs

And one more super duper good sounding record (set):

Primary

Label:Legacy – 88697702742-OS
    Format:
    2 x Vinyl, LP, Album, Reissue, 180 Gram
    3 x CD, Album
    DVD, DVD-Video, NTSC

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    This is mind blowing.

• Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    I’ve never listened to the dream syndicate.  I’ll give it a try 
    MedozK said:
    This is mind blowing.

Nice. 

Will be interested in seeing what you think. 
    There are basically three incarnations of that band so (if I might humbly suggest) the best place to start with each is
    First band:  The Days of Wine and Roses (though Medicine Show is also great).
    Band Two:  Live at Raji's (Also excellent is the lesser known Weathered and Torn: 3 1/2, The Lost Tapes 85-88)
    Band Three:  Tough call but I would say either How Did I Find Myself Here? or Ultraviolet Battle Hymns and True Confessions
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

brianlux said:

There are basically three incarnations of that band so (if I might humbly suggest) the best place to start with each is
    Band Two:  Live at Raji's (Also excellent is the lesser known Weathered and Torn: 3 1/2, The Lost Tapes 85-88)
    Band Three:  Tough call but I would say either How Did I Find Myself Here? or Ultraviolet Battle Hymns and True Confessions
    Whichever sounds the best.

im kind of in a backwards music phase.  I’ve been finding recently it’s fun to listen based solely on how good it sounds first (as objectively as it’s possible in music).  A bit more analytical and left brained. 

I find myself more able to appreciate a different band that way vs hearing something that may not sound that great, then having to like it, and then finding the best sounding version, because usually I don’t get that far 

brianlux said:

im kind of in a backwards music phase.  I’ve been finding recently it’s fun to listen based solely on how good it sounds first (as objectively as it’s possible in music).  A bit more analytical and left brained. 

I find myself more able to appreciate a different band that way vs hearing something that may not sound that great, then having to like it, and then finding the best sounding version, because usually I don’t get that far 

The early stuff is more rough.  The new one, Ultraviolet Battle Hymns and True Confessions, on vinyl (have not heard a digital source) sounds great.  And like all their later stuff, mastered by Greg Calbi.
    On some of their records, Steve's voice get a bit buried, on this one it's nice and clear. 
    Also, Chris Cacavas- a terrific keyboardist and multi-instrumentalist-  is on this one.  On previous records, he has often been referred to as "an also with" side member.  On this record, he is acknowledged (rightfully so) as a band member. 
    If you were to listen to the whole Dream Syndicate/ Steve Wynn catalog, you would find yourself doing something that would take quite a few hours.  Not including compilations, Wynn has made over 40 albums and written hundreds of songs.  It veritably blows my mind that he is not better known- and that's not just me.  All Wynn/ TDS fans feel the same way.

• JT167846JT167846 Posts: 779
    I do enjoy Fear of a Blank Planet by Porcupine Tree. Steven Wilson is a helluva songwriter but I reckon his biggest talents lie in production. A fair few amazing bands seem to agree given the albums he's had a hand in redoing.
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • KICK7071KICK7071 In My Tree, ON Posts: 712
    The Cult - Love
    I dont have another album in my collection that sounds quite like it
    Toronto 10-05-2000 / Toronto 06-28-2003 / Toronto 09-19-2005 / Toronto 05-09-2006 / Buffalo 05-10-2010 / Toronto 09-11-2011 /
    Hamilton 09-15-2011 / London - Canada 07-16-2013 / Buffalo 10-12-2013 / Ottawa 05-08-2016 / Toronto 05-10-2016 / Toronto 05-12-2016
    Amsterdam 06-12-2018 / Amsterdam 06-13-2018 / Chicago 08-18-2018 / Boston 09-02-2018 / Boston 09-04-2018 / Quebec City 09-01-2022 / Ottawa 09-03-2022 / Hamilton 09-06-2022 / Toronto 09-08-2022 / New York City 09-11-2022 / Chicago 09-05-2023 / Chicago 09-07-2023 / Austin 09-18-2023 / Austin 09-19-2023
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

The early stuff is more rough.  The new one, Ultraviolet Battle Hymns and True Confessions, on vinyl (have not heard a digital source) sounds great.  And like all their later stuff, mastered by Greg Calbi.
    On some of their records, Steve's voice get a bit buried, on this one it's nice and clear. 
    Also, Chris Cacavas- a terrific keyboardist and multi-instrumentalist-  is on this one.  On previous records, he has often been referred to as "an also with" side member.  On this record, he is acknowledged (rightfully so) as a band member. 
    If you were to listen to the whole Dream Syndicate/ Steve Wynn catalog, you would find yourself doing something that would take quite a few hours.  Not including compilations, Wynn has made over 40 albums and written hundreds of songs.  It veritably blows my mind that he is not better known- and that's not just me.  All Wynn/ TDS fans feel the same way.
    I’ll look for the new one. 

Best way to explain it is a few weeks ago I got Nora Jones, come away with me from AP. That’s just the most recent example

I’ve heard that album for twenty years. I’ve never listened to it all the way through at once and never been what I would consider a fan. I decided to buy it to see as I’ve heard great things, worst case I would sell it.  I streamed it first, got bored listening with my headphones and almost didn’t buy it as it just didn’t grab my attention. 

The AP version came and all of a sudden it made sense to me. I’m kind of obsessed with the album now. 

Its the same way I’ve learned to appreciate Jazz.  It doesn’t make sense to me listening in any other way.  On a great pressing the dynamics, the separation, the imaging, the stereo left right (where applicable) sitting in my listening room the music makes sense. Playing it in my car, or on Apple Music or whatever, I don’t get it. 

I guess I value the engineering/mastering and how it’s presented more highly.  I need that structure, separation, imaging as without it it appears to me like a random collection of sounds without direction.  This is particularly true with my experience with jazz like Kind of blue, time out etc 
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Best way to explain it is a few weeks ago I got Nora Jones, come away with me from AP. That’s just the most recent example

I’ve heard that album for twenty years. I’ve never listened to it all the way through at once and never been what I would consider a fan. I decided to buy it to see as I’ve heard great things, worst case I would sell it.  I streamed it first, got bored listening with my headphones and almost didn’t buy it as it just didn’t grab my attention. 

The AP version came and all of a sudden it made sense to me. I’m kind of obsessed with the album now. 

Its the same way I’ve learned to appreciate Jazz.  It doesn’t make sense to me listening in any other way.  On a great pressing the dynamics, the separation, the imaging, the stereo left right (where applicable) sitting in my listening room the music makes sense. Playing it in my car, or on Apple Music or whatever, I don’t get it. 

I guess I value the engineering/mastering and how it’s presented more highly.  I need that structure, separation, imaging as without it it appears to me like a random collection of sounds without direction.  This is particularly true with my experience with jazz like Kind of blue, time out etc 

The paragraph I highlighted is fascinating to me because it's interesting how we often hearing differently.  For someone like myself, it would be more about the general overall quality of the sound- I have a hard time with overly bright, highly compressed music, and somewhat with overly booming bass sound.  You seem to have a more refined sense of auditory acuity.  I've probably lost some of that from hearing damage, thus my comfort or discomfort centers more on timbre.

edited June 2022
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

The paragraph I highlighted is fascinating to me because it's interesting how we often hearing differently.  For someone like myself, it would be more about the general overall quality of the sound- I have a hard time with overly bright, highly compressed music, and somewhat with overly booming bass sound.  You seem to have a more refined sense of auditory acuity.  I've probably lost some of that from hearing damage, thus my comfort or discomfort centers more on timbre.
    Once I get too far from traditional song structure, Hook, chorus , verse etc my brain needs to create a structure or a flow. Soundstage and imaging creates that. I’m analytical by nature. Jazz has always been disorganised mess to me with everything happening all at once, and I can’t make any sense of it unless it’s a really good recording on at least fairly good speakers and I sit and focus. It was really interesting when i finally figured that out

im less picky on popular music because it inherently has a predictable flow 

So if it’s not popular music that’s what I usually go for first as far as characteristics

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    Rock:
    - TP Wildflowers (box set version) - also sentimental favorite
    - Fleetwood Mac Rumors 45 RPM - KPG/SH cut
    - August and Everything After 45 RPM Analogue Productions
    - Beatles Revolver 2014 mono
    - DMB Crash 

Jazz:
    - Smoking at the Half Note (for sure)
    - Getz/Gilberto - https://www.discogs.com/release/15833366-Stan-Getz-Joao-Gilberto-Featuring-Antonio-Carlos-Jobim-Getz-Gilberto
    - Coltrane - Blue Train SRX Mono https://www.discogs.com/release/13207671-John-Coltrane-Blue-Train
    - Kenny Burrell Midnight Blue - SRX (although the Blue Note is almost as good, same KPG master https://www.discogs.com/release/15530124-Kenny-Burrell-Midnight-Blue

Other:
    - Starker - Bach Unaccompanied Cello Suites (this is probably the best set I own)  https://www.discogs.com/release/14836150-Johann-Sebastian-Bach-Janos-Starker-Suites-For-Unaccompanied-Cello-Complete

Honorable Mention:
    - Muddy Waters Folk Singer (AP)
    - John Lee Hooker Serves you Right to Suffer (AP)
    - Doors LA Woman (AP)
    - White Stripes Icky Thump (either the X version or the 2007 version, both are fantastic. 
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Once I get too far from traditional song structure, Hook, chorus , verse etc my brain needs to create a structure or a flow. Soundstage and imaging creates that. I’m analytical by nature. Jazz has always been disorganised mess to me with everything happening all at once, and I can’t make any sense of it unless it’s a really good recording on at least fairly good speakers and I sit and focus. It was really interesting when i finally figured that out

im less picky on popular music because it inherently has a predictable flow 

So if it’s not popular music that’s what I usually go for first as far as characteristics

Early on I felt much the same way.  I had roommates that were into free jazz.  I HATED it!  But with enough exposure, I eventually went from despising that music to loving something like this:

I’ve got everything on the rock list minus Revolver.  I agree 

The  cello one sounds interesting and that’s a good start for me on the jazz list.  I found Smokin at the Half note as well from AP

mrussel1 said:
    Rock:
    - DMB Crash 

Jazz:
    - Getz/Gilberto - https://www.discogs.com/release/15833366-Stan-Getz-Joao-Gilberto-Featuring-Antonio-Carlos-Jobim-Getz-Gilberto
    - Coltrane - Blue Train SRX Mono https://www.discogs.com/release/13207671-John-Coltrane-Blue-Train
    - Kenny Burrell Midnight Blue - SRX (although the Blue Note is almost as good, same KPG master https://www.discogs.com/release/15530124-Kenny-Burrell-Midnight-Blue

Other:
    - Starker - Bach Unaccompanied Cello Suites (this is probably the best set I own)  https://www.discogs.com/release/14836150-Johann-Sebastian-Bach-Janos-Starker-Suites-For-Unaccompanied-Cello-Complete

Honorable Mention:
    - Doors LA Woman (AP)
    - White Stripes Icky Thump (either the X version or the 2007 version, both are fantastic. 

I don't have that particular Getz/Gilberto but I did finally track down a NM early pressing that sounds terrific.  What an album!

brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Rock:
    - DMB Crash 

Jazz:

Other:

Honorable Mention:
    - Doors LA Woman (AP)

I don't have that particular Getz/Gilberto but I did finally track down a NM early pressing that sounds terrific.  What an album!

It's so good.  And feels so 1960s.  
    edited June 2022
    I’ve got everything on the rock list minus Revolver.  I agree 

The  cello one sounds interesting and that’s a good start for me on the jazz list.  I found Smokin at the Half note as well from AP

The cello isn't jazz, it's true classical, but it's just a cello, not orchestra.  There's a Speakers Corner version that is not a box, not 45 but my understanding is that it is excellent as well.  The lacquers were cut from the original three track magnetic masters.  It's a different listening experience.  

edit - and you have great taste! 

If you want to nerd out..

These newly remastered Mercury Living Presence reissue LPs represent the state of the art of all-analog technology and production. Led by remastering supervisor Thomas Fine, son of high-fidelity recording pioneers C. Robert Fine and Wilma Cozart Fine of Fine Recording Inc. in New York City, these reissues were cut at 45 RPM directly from first-generation 3-track master tapes. A 3-2 channel mix was made directly to the cutting lathe, no "cutting master" tape stage, digital source or digital delay was used.

Thomas Fine made the 3-2 mixes with mastering engineer Ryan K. Smith at Sterling Sound's new facility in Nashville, Tennesee. Smith manually controlled groove margin and depth on his Neumann VMS-80 lathe, working with no preview signal and bypassing the lathe's margin-control computer. In doing so, he cut these sides the same way the original LP was cut by George Piros, who was Fine Recording Inc's VP and head of mastering. As with the original LP, no "sweetening" equalization or dynamic range control was used.
    edited June 2022
    Yeah… the Bach gave it away 😂

I honestly have zero classical albums at this point but grew up with it in the house playing a lot.  Classical is tough because I know a lot of the music but then it comes down to who is playing it and in what arrangements 
    Post edited by Cropduster-80 on

I honestly have zero classical albums at this point but grew up with it in the house playing a lot.  Classical is tough because I know a lot of the music but then it comes down to who is playing it.  
    I tried to get into classical, just to open up a new genre for myself.  I found I don't love it.  In fact, I don't love orchestra music in general.  So I don't like big band, or even popular jazz records like Miles Davis "Porgy and Bess".  When it comes to jazz, I like the simple 3-5 piece sets.  I do love that Bach because it is unaccompanied.  It's very simple, relaxing and the tone of the music is just perfect.  Starker is considered one of the great Cellists of all time, so the playing is amazing.  
    mrussel1 said:

I honestly have zero classical albums at this point but grew up with it in the house playing a lot.  Classical is tough because I know a lot of the music but then it comes down to who is playing it.  
    I tried to get into classical, just to open up a new genre for myself.  I found I don't love it.  In fact, I don't love orchestra music in general.  So I don't like big band, or even popular jazz records like Miles Davis "Porgy and Bess".  When it comes to jazz, I like the simple 3-5 piece sets.  I do love that Bach because it is unaccompanied.  It's very simple, relaxing and the tone of the music is just perfect.  Starker is considered one of the great Cellists of all time, so the playing is amazing.  

I can't believe you would say that.  How can you???
    Haha, just kidding, I pretty much feel the same way.  Once in a great long while l can get into Debussy or Ravel or some Chopin piano works, or even some impressionistic Ives, but I almost never listen to classical.
    Live though can be a much better way to go.  It's a whole other thing.  I think my favorite was seeing Vladimir Ashkenazy in a really nice theater playing Chopin on this gorgeous Steinway.  That was rather mind blowing!

brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:

I can't believe you would say that.  How can you???
    Haha, just kidding, I pretty much feel the same way.  Once in a great long while l can get into Debussy or Ravel or some Chopin piano works, or even some impressionistic Ives, but I almost never listen to classical.
    Live though can be a much better way to go.  It's a whole other thing.  I think my favorite was seeing Vladimir Ashkenazy in a really nice theater playing Chopin on this gorgeous Steinway.  That was rather mind blowing!
    I just need something simple!  Seeing a classical pianist playing in a hall would be amazing, especially if it was just him.  In fact, something like Fur Elise is so simple and beautiful to me.  I don't need a lot of instruments to be enthralled.  The fewer the better.  I like to focus on individual playing.  
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    mrussel1 said:
    Rock:
    - DMB Crash 

Jazz:

Other:

Honorable Mention:
    - Doors LA Woman (AP)
    Agree 100% with this list.
  • EraserheadEraserhead Stoke-on-Trent Posts: 2,827
    edited July 2022
    *wrong thread!*
    Post edited by Eraserhead on
    Manchester 04.06.00, Leeds 25.08.06, Wembley 18.06.07, Dusseldorf 21.06.07, Shepherds Bush 11.08.09, Manchester 17.08.09, Adelaide 17.11.09, Melbourne 20.11.09, Sydney 22.11.09, Brisbane 25.11.09, MSG1 20.05.10, MSG2 21.05.10, Dublin 22.06.10, Belfast 23.06.10, London 25.06.10, Long Beach 06.07.11 (EV), Los Angeles 08.07.11 (EV), Toronto 11.09.11, Toronto 12.09.11, Ottawa 14.09.11, Hamilton 14.09.11, Manchester 20.06.12, Manchester 21.06.12, Amsterdam 26.06.2012, Amsterdam 27.06.2012, Berlin 04.07.12, Berlin 05.07.12, Stockholm 07.07.12, Oslo 09.07.12, Copenhagen 10.07.12, Manchester 28.07.12 (EV), Brooklyn 18.10.13, Brooklyn 19.10.13, Philly 21.10.13, Philly 22.10.13, San Diego 21.11.13, LA 23.11.13, LA 24.11.13, Oakland 26.11.13, Portland 29.11.13, Spokane 30.11.13, Calgary 02.12.13, Vancouver 04.12.13, Seattle 06.12.13, Trieste 22.06.14, Vienna 25.06.14, Berlin 26.06.14, Stockholm 28.06.14, Leeds 08.07.14, Philly 28.04.16, Philly 28.04.16, MSG1 01.05.16, MSG2 02.05.16