opinions on this?

exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
edited March 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
i've found a good deal on a POD pro with full floorboard controller. i'm thinking of buying it and then just relisting the floorboard (not interested in it) and my POD 2.0.

i'm guessing i'd get maybe $200 for my POD. and probably as much for the floorboard (it's brand new).

meaning it might end up costing me about $150 (after shipping and taxes) etc. to upgrade to the POD pro.

good idea? bad idea?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    The pod pro rack?

yeah, I'd do it. the digital connections and XLR's will be worth it just in connectivity and the fact that you can put all your stuff in the rack. You probably don't need the Floorboard but it is nice if you change channels or use on board effects. You could probably get 350 for your pod and the floorboard on ebay which would almost pay for the Pro I'm guessing?
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    it's the rackmount POD, yeah. not an XT though.

i use the 4-button footswitch FB4 now to switch between programs on my POD so the floorboard isn't necessary. i do all my effects and volume control with external pedals anyway.

the deal is $500US for the POD pro and the floorboard. both mint in original packaging. probably will cost me another $75 in taxes and shipping.

i'm just trying to decide if the increase in functionality is worth it.
    well you don't like the XT's so that's a non issue. You have external pedals and an FB4 already so 150 for the floorboard and 200 or so for the Pod 2.0 and you're looking at a net cost of what $150 that's pretty good. The connectivity is what makes it worth it. You have more room to expand and route what you want in your rack. That and I believe it's a bit cleaner, I think it has an optical digital out.

Damn for 75 bucks, you could rent a car and have him deliver it to MIG in Mizzoula.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    it's got digi outs, yes. and i think you're right about it sounding better than the normal PODs. the models are the same though.

i don't like the XT pods b/c of their feel (they feel cheap) but the rackmount XTs are ok. i just don't think i need as much capability for effects and everything that the XT has. i've worked really hard to get my effects chain perfect anyway.

hmmm. this is a toughy.
    Originally posted by exhausted
    it's got digi outs, yes. and i think you're right about it sounding better than the normal PODs. the models are the same though.

i don't like the XT pods b/c of their feel (they feel cheap) but the rackmount XTs are ok. i just don't think i need as much capability for effects and everything that the XT has. i've worked really hard to get my effects chain perfect anyway.

hmmm. this is a toughy.

The XT is a waste for you, you the only reason to buy it would be (more amp models? how many do you really need) you already have an awesome pedal board.

The only issue here is sound quality and connectivity. plus space management. The net cost here is 150 bucks + shipping and Government (no lube) You really aren't getting anything different but the package it's in and the connectivity, If you ask me, I think it's worth it but It's not like we are professionals or anything. It's a hobby, this toy allows you more options.

Get the pod pro, mount it in your rack with a BBE sonic maximiser below it and your compressor below that. Beautiful, useful for electric or acoustic (tube preamp)
    the idea of carrying a rack case, a pedalboard and two guitars vs. a rack case, a bag with a POD and switch in it, a pedalcase, an amp, a hotplate, and two guitars is appealing. oh wait, i don't carry anything anywhere. :o

i just like shiny things.

i'm going to have to read reviews to see just how much better the fidelity is. i can't take advantage of the XLRs or anything at home b/c my record only takes 1/4".

if i opted for an XT at some point, it would be b/c of the sonic quality of the models over the old versions.

i'm at the point now where i'm using my deluxe for all my clean or slight overdriven sounds and the POD for goofy, high gain stuff.
    the XT pro is basically a vetta.
    well, yeah, you'll have to decide. obviously your heart lies with the deluxe.
    then of course there is a killer deal on a univalve i just found too.
    then of course there is a killer deal on a univalve i just found too.

speaking of shiny things. hopefully it comes with tubes. That's where you end up spending money on those things.
    comes with a 6L6, an EL84 and two 12AX7s. so not much.

i wrote the guy with the POD pro to see if he'd ship USPS instead of UPS to save me some brokerage fees.
    UPS blows, they break stuff at an alarming rate, I like USPS a lot better.
    he says he'll do USPS so that's cool. that saves some cash. i'm really tempted to do this.
    he says he'll do USPS so that's cool. that saves some cash. i'm really tempted to do this.

well, imagine the flexibility in the future. Like a tiny PA or something so you can sing to yourself in the basement just plug the pod pro into the XLR's

Next step Light Rack with 4 Par 38's and multicolor gels :D 48 in mirrorball and a smoke machine.
    it certainly would be nice to have. it would fill my rackcase though. no room for a maximizer. just my power supply and compressor.

i could run both my electric and acoustic in stereo off that rack.

soundmen would love me.
    ah crap i snoozed and loozed on both counts. dammit.