exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
edited September 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
but not a new song... oh well...

click here
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    WOW! that was nice
  • Nice! Is that you singing back-up as well?
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    thanks. yes, that's all me. the high part has a plug-in on it called cosmonaut voice that makes things really lo-fi.
  • Sweet. Only thing though: the small clean guitar bits just after the chorus - I think it's the chorus - kinda threw me of balance. I know its small, but it sounded a bit like ballast to me. Positive criticism though, excellent stuff.
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    Digging it man. Nice work!
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
    Originally posted by pearlwax
    Sweet. Only thing though: the small clean guitar bits just after the chorus - I think it's the chorus - kinda threw me of balance. I know its small, but it sounded a bit like ballast to me. Positive criticism though, excellent stuff.

i'll try muting them or reducing the volume at bit and see how that goes. thanks. are you talking about the solo-y bits or the bits that are quieter and off to one side?
  • I'm talking about the bits at 0:53-0:55, just after the chorus. They almost sound out of key coming right out of your singing tone. It could be just me though, I suck at this stuff. It just threw me of balance a bit. The soloing bits are cool. Nice sound. Might I say that your piano playing is great and again, the back-up vocals are kick-ass?
    cool. i'll give that a check tonight now that i know exactly the part you're talking about. the beautiful thing about this system is i can now go back and do pretty much anything i want to the tracks. i have 32 available. i only used 10 this time.

thanks for the complement on the piano playing. sadly, i'm pretty much just faking it. my brain can't control more than four fingers at a time right now so i'm pretty limited in what i can do. i can do a triad with my right hand and a single bass note with my left at this point. kind like people that can only type with their two index fingers. :)
  • Very Nice work Greg. :)
    Pearl Jam - London Astoria 20/4/06....One hell of a night :)

Reading 2006 - WOOOOW!!!!!

Paris 2006 - Fucking amazing

Wembley 2007 :D
  • Great job Greg. Dug the song, and the recording sounded great.
  • That recording sounds very proffesional. I cant put my finger on who i would say it sounds like. It's got a very nice mellow vibe to it. The guitar bit is very erie/airey and sounds pretty nice. Your piano playing gives it a very original sound especially coming from a PJ fan...not what I would expect necessarily. Sounds very classy. You have a nice voice also. there was 1 second at the start when I was like "oh shit here comes stappy" right at the end of the first line when you hit the low note on "me" i thought you might head in the scott stapp direction hehe. But luckily it didnt go in that direction at all. I can picture this being the last song of a very rockin album. it reminds me of mellon collie and the infinite sadness, that first and last piano track by corgan, the piano sounds similar. HAs a cool laid to rest feeling.

May I ask how hard it was to get this professional sound out of pro tools and the methods you used to record-i.e micd amp or direct guitar to computer etc.

Congrats on the cool tune.

I listened to it again
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
    thank you.

my keyboards and acoustic guitar are done direct into the mbox interface. my electric guitar is a shure sm57 on my amp into the mbox. and the vocal is a condenser mic hooked directly to the mbox. i have a pop-filter/wind screen on my vocal mic as well. i no longer use any outboard equipment except for guitar effect pedals.

all the processing as far as gates, reverbs, compressors, EQs and filters are done within protools so as long as you have an understanding of the parameters of each effect, it's not too hard to get a decent sound.

i would imagine a professional could take my raw tracks and make something much better sounding than i could as well.
  • nice work greg! very clean recording and great song. put together very well, and i like your playing on the keys.
    my life...you electrify my life. let's conspire to reignite...all the souls that would die just feel alive.
  • Very good. Clean recodring and fitting music.

I would definitely listen to more.
    kthxbai
  • What is the mbox interface? A soundcard you have? Or outboard mixer? Whats the deal and what exactly does the mbox do?
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • The DigiDesign MBox is an audio interface for recording audio onto a computer into ProTools. It has mic and line inputs, line outputs, some digi in/out, insert points, and it connects to a computer via a USB cable, and comes bundled with ProTools LE. It basically turns a good computer into a recording studio. $450-550, depending on what software bundle.

Hey ex, did you get the standard or the Factory Bundle version? I've been eyeballin' the Factory Bundle, with all the extra plugins...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • pariahpariah Posts: 596
    Nice! Been listening to a lot of your stuff lately. It's good. Write more. :)
    "Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world."
    Originally posted by mccreadyisgod
    Hey ex, did you get the standard or the Factory Bundle version? I've been eyeballin' the Factory Bundle, with all the extra plugins...

i got the factory bundle. it was well worth the extra cash.