feedback wanted - song

exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
edited May 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
http://www3.telus.net/alcoholiday/

the last one on the list. "we began". i don't even know what corner of my ass i pulled this out of. it's like a pop song or something.

i have a one take demo of it with just me and a guitar that i did on thursday and it sounds like all my other songs but today this is what came out when i did the full blown version.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    fucking great Greg. Yeah it's pop but I like it. The lower octave (bass line) really makes it sound great. You know how I like depth. It's a great song. I'd like to hear what a pro company could do with the production. I'd redo the short solo, but that's just being picky. I like your acoustic stuff much better as a preference, I just like the way it sounds. The vocal doubling was a nice touch. cool how you have the reverse effect at the beginning to sound like a tape starting. I'm sure the fiancee likes it.

Overall it's a great song I think. I love the strait acoustic parts but the layers are cool swirly.

Nice one.

Just to be picky do a couple more versions of the solo with different flavors. I'd like to hear a less fuzzy version.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    I REALLY like it. Good lyrics, and a nice "feel to it".

The only thing I'd change IMHO in the solo. I think a clean or even an ebow kinda thing would be cool.

Anyway.... great stuff.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
    Originally posted by blackredyellow
    I REALLY like it. Good lyrics, and a nice "feel to it".

The only thing I'd change IMHO in the solo. I think a clean or even an ebow kinda thing would be cool.

Anyway.... great stuff.

I second that entirely.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    thanks guys. the wonder of virtual tracks is i can try a few different things.

i used the double muff which is a pretty nasty fuzz in the first place. putting a phaser after it kind of emphasized that harshness too.
    Originally posted by exhausted
    thanks guys. the wonder of virtual tracks is i can try a few different things.

i used the double muff which is a pretty nasty fuzz in the first place. putting a phaser after it kind of emphasized that harshness too.

yeah, it's not bad at all. I was just wondering what it would sound overdriven or distorted but not fuzzy. I like the contrast between that and the strait acoustic that comes in next I just would like to hear a more defined version of the notes no biggie though. Sounds like a song you plan on playing at the wedding, or should anyway.
    it was for the wedding. i doubt i'll play it though.
  • JDE-PJJDE-PJ Posts: 721
    it's excellent, nothing wrong with a good pop song, and that's a good pop love song right there:)

oh and yeah play it at the wedding, at the very least if you don't want to perform it live, play this recording:)
    I know someday you will have a beautiful Life

Jason
  • puremagicpuremagic Posts: 1,907
    Maybe you should use your ass a little more often. Nice change up from previous recordings. Your getting more out of your FXs and its noticeable.

There's only one thing missing from all that your doing now. Interaction. I honestly think that you have reached a point that inorder to round out your sound, you have to start thinking about playing its with others. I think you need hear where it can go. You have recorded, in essence, very, very good acoustical songs. Songs that have the potential of being more, one which I absolutely love and think has the potential to be a lasting ballad, Everything is New. You now have the experience of a little hurt and pain to go with that love and if the music reflected some of that in this particular song, well.
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
    Originally posted by puremagic
    There's only one thing missing from all that your doing now. Interaction. I honestly think that you have reached a point that inorder to round out your sound, you have to start thinking about playing its with others. I think you need hear where it can go. You have recorded, in essence, very, very good acoustical songs. Songs that have the potential of being more, ...

full band recordings would be the next logical step. in essense, these end just being really detailed demos. i'm sure collaboration with other people would really help them. and drums especially would bring an energy to things that i can't create right now. i don't think it'll ever get to that point though.
    full band recordings would be the next logical step. in essense, these end just being really detailed demos. i'm sure collaboration with other people would really help them. and drums especially would bring an energy to things that i can't create right now. i don't think it'll ever get to that point though.

A real bass player and tamborine monkey would do wonders :)
    i actually really like my synth bass scheme. it sounds different. :)
    i actually really like my synth bass scheme. it sounds different. :)

yeah it actually tracks very nicely. I can tell but only because I know what the boss sim sounds like from my 532. It adds depth which I love. That really is a great song man.
  • nailz100nailz100 Posts: 1,176
    Very Nice....a very nice tune Ex...I don't know why you wouldn't want to play it for ANY wedding....its very catchy and well written. What did you record the vocals on?...they're pretty crystal.
    Only with our eyes closed can we truly see
    an apex condenser mic into a presonus blue tube preamp, behringer compressor/gate and a bit of compression in the recorder itself. that's my normal chain for my vocal mic. i need to trim some of the reverb off though.
    all recorded on your 8-track though? I'm not familiar with the apex's for vocals, only guitars?? I guess I'll have to play around when I can finally afford the boss 1180. I think the reverb is okay for the stuff you are doing, it seems to suit it very well....the vocals may be a bit louder than they need to be on some parts of that song though.
    all done on the 8-track.

as for levels, i'm really having trouble with mastering. the song goes from having 2 tracks on, to having like 7 and back to 2 so it's hard to balance things at times.
    Completely understandable... But you are getting some pretty cool sounds out of that thing though. do you just download directly onto a computer?
    no, i don't have the right sound card to mix directly into the computer so i mix digitally to an component audio cd burner and then import into my audio editing program on the computer to do the final effects and mastering.