the joy of cheap pedals

exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
edited May 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
i scoured the music store for new pedals today.

tried an EHX mini q-tron (not my thing)
an EHX pulsar (terrible)
a dano PB&J delay. cool but not when i have a line6 DL4. it didn't self-oscillate either.
a dano rocky road spinning speaker (that was DOA out of the box. OOPS)
a dano chicken salad vibrato (nothing a small clone can't do)

and finally, a used DOD vibro thang in mint condition for like $25US.

it's awesome, it sounds like a wah and tremolo in one. it's supposed to be a vibrato but it's totally strange in it's own way.

full review later tonight.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Originally posted by exhausted
    i scoured the music store for new pedals today.

tried an EHX mini q-tron (not my thing)
    an EHX pulsar (terrible)
    a dano PB&J delay. cool but not when i have a line6 DL4. it didn't self-oscillate either.
    a dano rocky road spinning speaker (that was DOA out of the box. OOPS)
    a dano chicken salad vibrato (nothing a small clone can't do)

and finally, a used DOD vibro thang in mint condition for like $25US.

it's awesome, it sounds like a wah and tremolo in one. it's supposed to be a vibrato but it's totally strange in it's own way.

full review later tonight.

dude, one of my fav's too. one of the first I ever got to play, really cool.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • goto_lgoto_l Posts: 1,189
    I love the squishing sound my Ibanez Soundtank Tremelo makes, no matter what battery it justs is squishy, but yet unique & something useful.
    You men eat your dinner
    Eat your pork and beans
    I eat more chicken
    Than any man ever seen

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i didn't get a chance to play last night at all and friends from out of town appeared. hopefully tonight i will.

the phasing in the circuit really does make it sound like a modulated wah in a couple places. it's quite unique.
  • I once got a cool sound out of a Danolectro Hash Browns flanger that had a low battery. It wound up sounding slower, and having a weird metallic slush sound to it. It worked out pretty well playing "Nothing as it Seems."
  • mendicant_1mendicant_1 Posts: 39
    the ibanez soundtank pedals are so cool!! i had a really cool chorus pedal that i traded for a hard shell case,...and now i have an overdrive "tubescreamer" that sounds decent,...
    Your head will collapse if there's nothing in it -Black Francis
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    One of my first distortion pedals was an Ibanez Soundtank, called a "Power Lead." Very modern hi-gain sounding. My buddy (and then-co-guitar player) swiped it, and still uses it a bunch when he needs "that" sound. If it wasn't for the fact that I haven't even seen the thing in four years, I'd say it was the best $20 I ever spent.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Just bought my very first pedal, a Dano overdrive..... sounds great, but it is a little tricky getting the settings on the pedal and amp right. Have been playing around with it for about a week now, and have found some good sounds.
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    Bought a DD3 for my buddy last night...used for $50!
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"