new song

exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
edited August 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
blah. why is it that, as soon as i finish recording something, i absolutely hate it. i mean, i must have liked it enough to bother finishing it so why does everything come out as a steaming piece of crap? all i hear is flaws. drives me nuts.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ledhed43ledhed43 Posts: 114
    i have the same problem. i dont think you can really enjoy your own music anymore than mastubation. even the stuff i thought was good right after it was done i have thought i couldve made better a few months later. i guess you just put it down as best you can and move on hoping that others see the good in it.
    Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best.

~Frank Zappa
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    ledhed43 wrote:
    i have the same problem. i dont think you can really enjoy your own music anymore than mastubation. even the stuff i thought was good right after it was done i have thought i couldve made better a few months later. i guess you just put it down as best you can and move on hoping that others see the good in it.
    I think you pretty much said it. Most people are gonna find their own music unsatisfying because they will always know what it was meant to sound like and it very rarely actually sounds like it should. I hate 90% of the music I make and the stuff I like is generally good because of other factors like the vocals (not by me)
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    "always know what it was meant to sound like and it very rarely actually sounds like it should"

i think that's it.

i wonder why i keep doing it.
  • surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    exhausted wrote:
    i wonder why i keep doing it.
    If you're like me it's that rush you get when you've created that first riff that you think says something. And yo have no idea where it came from, all of a sudden it just came out of you. Then the challenge of finding where it takes you, and making you a part of it and it a part of you.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
    i certainly enjoy the recording process and creating parts to layer over the basics. it's about the only time i get to push myself on guitar etc.

it unfortunate that listening to myself sing the words i've written is like getting a root canal while looking at high school photographs.... blah.

but i really do like recording and trying to create something i'd think people would want to listen to. i just lack any sort of objectivity i guess.
  • surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    exhausted wrote:
    i certainly enjoy the recording process and creating parts to layer over the basics. it's about the only time i get to push myself on guitar etc.
    This is a new and painful process for me but will get better over time as I learn about recording and improve my guitar playing. Hoping that my son learning to play drums and me learning a little along with him will help
    exhausted wrote:
    it unfortunate that listening to myself sing the words i've written is like getting a root canal while looking at high school photographs.... blah.
    Agree. It's even worse for me in that all I can properly sing is slows blues numbers but write a lot of hard rock stuff. Talk about wrong tool for the job.

exhausted wrote:
    but i really do like recording and trying to create something i'd think people would want to listen to. i just lack any sort of objectivity i guess.
    I think I'm pretty objective when the first riff hits and when work is done to flesh out the song. But after too much work and listening I lose all objectivity.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • I'm new to making music - but i find that you are your own worst credict

just go with your gut in a way if it sounds good to you it usually does

IMO
    Keep on Rockin'
    i think i was better at this back when i was on anti-depressants. :o of course, the songs were shittier, but i cared less. :D
  • I don't record, but I have the same with writing. Sometimes I come up with something I really like, but the next day or as soon as I play it to my g/f, I'm like: what the hell did I get so excited about? This is simple crap!

oh well... I suck anyways. Nowadays I wish I could sing, cause a voice over some chords sounds so much better than just - well - some chords.
    you probably can. it just takes a long time to get up the nerve to do it.

my whole love/hate thing with music drives my wife crazy. every other day i'm expressing my frustration with it and wanting to pack it in and find a new hobby, then the next day i'm spending 3 hours working on something and looking at more gear. it's stupid.
  • Sounds very familiar :o

As for the singing, people say I have a nice speaking voice and my g/f says I sing nice when I sing along to a song, but I just can't stand it. I've tried singing some easy stuff, but I have no technique and sound even more nasal than Bob Dylan. Hell, I sound like Bob Dylan out of breath.

At this point all I want to do is play and sound like say Ray LaMontagne: an acoustic guitar and some bluesy, soulful singer-songwriter stuff. I mean, Ray started playing at 20, just like me. But alas, talent is what I have not. My kitchen sink has more soul.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    to those who say they hate singing, I hear ya! I hate my voice so much but the difficult thing for me is, I absolutely love singing.... just hate listening back. I end up masking the vocals with effects and stuff because I can't stand it.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • ledhed43ledhed43 Posts: 114
    i cant sing just cant. i had a throat surgery for sleep apnea about the time i started playing guitar 6 years ago. the doc took out my tonsils and everything that wasnt necassary to survival including that hanging ball that blocks your airway when you swallow. i had to learn how to eat and drink all over(nothing burns like beer in your lungs). the docs said one of the risks of the surgery was that my vocal chords could be irreparably damaged and i may never speak again. that didnt happen but my voice did change. i never thought i would want to sing but now i have tried to learn and i just cant create some pitches. so i just say singings for the birds and make someone else do it. it sucks though cause i have to let someone else express the words i wrote and its never like what i hear in my head. oh well its better than choking to death on my own throat in my sleep.
    Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best.

~Frank Zappa