Options

Level of Concern

jhager79jhager79 Kitchener Ontario Posts: 234
What's a reasonable level of concern to have for the monkeypox outbreak that is currently growing throughout the world? For myself this all feels very much like mid February 2020 when almost everyone was saying that there was nothing to worry about. When everyone says there's nothing to worry about,  it's usually time to worry.  Currently my level of concern is 8/10 that this becomes the next global pandemic.
[img][/img]Kitchener2005
Toronto 2003
Toronto 2000
Barrie 1998
Toronto 1993
London 2005

Toronto 2006 May 9/10
Toronto 2009
Toronto Sept 11/12 2011
London 2013
Detroit 2014
Toronto 2016 May 10/12
Chicago 2018 N2
"No matter how cold the winter, there's a springtime ahead"

Comments

• Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    https://youtu.be/loOWKm8GW6A
    I thought this was about Twenty One Pilots. (The daughter is a fan.) 🤷‍♀️

It might be a discussion better fit for AMT, but I continue to wear masks and I've always been a fan of washing my hands. I don't work in healthcare, so my level of concern isn't so much there for monkeypox. COVID however...
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,120
    I’d be more concerned with nuclear holocaust 

not overly, but most since Cuban missile crisis

sleep well 🤣
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,756
    We are all going to go sometime. What we do this minute matters. Go fish or do what you love. Take care and peace to all suffering. 
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Loujoe said:
    We are all going to go sometime. What we do this minute matters. Go fish or do what you love. Take care and peace to all suffering. 
    :smile:
  • Options
    elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,234
    0/10 concern
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,248
    THREAT LEVEL MIDNIGHT
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    jwhjr17jwhjr17 Posts: 1,896
    THREAT LEVEL MIDNIGHT
    Michael Scarn will save us!

0/10 as far as my concern
    1998-06-30 Mpls | 2006-07-06 Las Vegas | 2010-05-03 Kansas City | 2011-07-01 St. Louis EV | 2011-07-02 Mpls EV | 2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20 | 2011-09-17 Winnipeg | 2012-09-30 Missoula | 2012-11-18 Tulsa EV | 2013-07-19 Chicago | 2013-11-15 Dallas
    2013-11-16 OKC | 2014-10-09 Lincoln | 2014-10-17 Moline | 2014-10-19 St. Paul | 2014-10-20 Milwaukee | 2016-08-20 Chicago
    2016-08-22 Chicago | 2018-08-18 Chicago | 2018-08-20 Chicago | 2022-05-09 Phoenix | 2022-05-20 Las Vegas | 2022-09-18 St. Louis 
    2022-09-20 OKC | 2023-08-31 St. Paul | 2023-09-02 St. Paul | **2024-05-16 Las Vegas** | **2024-05-18 Las Vegas** |
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    jhager79 said:
    What's a reasonable level of concern to have for the monkeypox outbreak that is currently growing throughout the world? For myself this all feels very much like mid February 2020 when almost everyone was saying that there was nothing to worry about. When everyone says there's nothing to worry about,  it's usually time to worry.  Currently my level of concern is 8/10 that this becomes the next global pandemic.
    1) it's been around forever. 
    2) usually endemic to african countries
    3) not easily transmissible

even with my anxious brain, my concern is 2/10. It was 8/10 and then I quit twitter for the 13th time. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,975
    jhager79 said:

even with my anxious brain, my concern is 2/10. It was 8/10 and then I quit twitter for the 13th time. 
    You went back again?
  • Options
    jhager79 said:

You went back again?
    I keep convincing myself it will be fine this time. But that motherfucking algorithm makes it impossible to escape the bullshit. I just wanted to keep up with bands/artists, but it just can't be done. if your timeline is empty, they fill it up with things they know will grab you. it's a pit. I'll never go back. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    jhager79 said:

You went back again?
    I keep convincing myself it will be fine this time. But that motherfucking algorithm makes it impossible to escape the bullshit. I just wanted to keep up with bands/artists, but it just can't be done. if your timeline is empty, they fill it up with things they know will grab you. it's a pit. I'll never go back. 
    I literally use mine for bands and sneaker news.  I don't click on anything else.  My will is good, lol.

My IG account I set up for sports cards and THAT too is all I click on.  I had one stupid follower that I thought were cards but weren't so they got deleted and I'm back to just cards again.
  • Options
    jhager79 said:

You went back again?
    I literally use mine for bands and sneaker news.  I don't click on anything else.  My will is good, lol.

My IG account I set up for sports cards and THAT too is all I click on.  I had one stupid follower that I thought were cards but weren't so they got deleted and I'm back to just cards again.
    I don't click on anything either. But my feed fills up with shit that I inevitably end up reading. Even if I don't click on it, I've "engaged" with it, and it's 99% "sky is falling" bullshit. I'm tired of wading through all the shit to get to the stuff I want. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    jhager79 said:

You went back again?

I don't click on anything either. But my feed fills up with shit that I inevitably end up reading. Even if I don't click on it, I've "engaged" with it, and it's 99% "sky is falling" bullshit. I'm tired of wading through all the shit to get to the stuff I want. 
    I don't know why I don't get that stuff.  I'm glad I don't so that's good I guess.
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    0 concern
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    Very little concern.  (and I was a very early adopter to freak out before Covid really shut everything down)
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,475

I don't think I started worrying about COVID until shit started going down in Italy. 

I don't see the point in getting too worked up about Monkey Pox just yet. 
  • Options
    jhager79jhager79 Kitchener Ontario Posts: 234
    jhager79 said:

I quit last year, became unbearable and I haven't been back since. This site is the closest thing to social media that I have visited since end of February

I hope it's just my anxious brain overriding my rational brain. May have to reach out to an old gf who works in government lab in Ontario to see what the water cooler talk in the lab is. Talk around April 2020 was that Covid wasn't going away and would become endemic.

[img][/img]Kitchener2005
    Toronto 2003
    Toronto 2000
    Barrie 1998
    Toronto 1993
    London 2005

Toronto 2006 May 9/10
    Toronto 2009
    Toronto Sept 11/12 2011
    London 2013
    Detroit 2014
    Toronto 2016 May 10/12