planning for a HD recording system...

exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
edited July 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
i'm upgrading my studio this fall/winter to a computer-based system. i'm thinking of dumping the 788.

so i've been looking at a number of options.

first things first:
i will be buying a new desktop computer and 15" LCD monitor. i don't care what kind etc. as long is it's a P4 2.8GHz (at least) and has a 160gig drive and windows XP. i will need to get a proper 24bit (at least) sound card for it as well. those terratecs someone suggested look to be the favourite right now.

my budget for this is about $1700canadian and that should be generous. i can then dump my harman kardon cd burner (i'll only get maybe $100US for it)

then i can go in a few different directions. i can keep my 788 standalone recorder and simply continue to use the computer for mastering and file conversions. with a good sound card, i can dump out of the 788 in didital and not lose any quality. i will need to buy 24bit software and right now, the frontrunner is sound forge 7.0 which i can get for $300US. yes, i can get it for $70 off ebay but it's illegal.

now, sound forge now supports multitrack recording so i could dump the 788 and buy an interface module like the tascam US428 assuming it would work with sound forge. it's currently sitting at $400US. it comes with some form of cubasis VST. i'd assume it's 24bit. i don't know for sure.

i can't do the protools LE system. i would love to but it's $2200US.

so i have a couple questions:
1) an alternative software for simple final editing and mastering that supports 24 bit? i would keep the 788 and basically have the same setup i have now but with a new computer, sound card and 24bit quality. this is my cheapest option and would have minimal learning curve but i really think i've grown out of the 8-track.

2) alternative interfaces to the tascam that are in the same price range. here i would be dumping the 788, buying an interface unit and multitrack software.

3) alternative software to soundforge that would support multi-track recording and not cost a nut and a leg. fruity loops looks interesting. it would need to work with whatever interface i picked. i would like to get into the looping of beats and whatnot that a good program would give me.

any advice is appreciated.

edit: this could be interesting.
http://www.music123.com/Lexicon-Omega-Desktop-Recording-Studio-i120979.music?t=1

although i was more looking for an interface with the same type of feel as my 788.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    got the price on the US-428. it's $680canadian but would cost me virtually nothing after trade-in.

this would also save me from having to buy a sound card with tons of I/O options. i would just need 24bit processing.

ah crap, the version of cubasis it comes with is a lame-o 16bit 8-track version. i'd have to buy cubase SE too.
  • puremagicpuremagic Posts: 1,907
    I know your experienced but everyone likes to make sure their money is being well spent. Take a read, click on the various things like sound cards, etc.

http://www.tweakheadz.com/rigs.htm
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
    bookmarked. thanks pure. i'll start digging.
    that link pretty much narrowed it down for me. i think i'd be best off with cubase SE or cakewalk homestudio and a decent interface module that retained some of the feel of my portastudio. i have all the other outboard/monitoring stuff i'll ever need.

and i wouldn't need a fancy sound card. an audigy would do since i wouldn't need it for input. just for output for burning cds.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Originally posted by exhausted
    and i wouldn't need a fancy sound card. an audigy would do since i wouldn't need it for input. just for output for burning cds.

So you would use your rack gear for preamps, and then send line-level to the computer? How many tracks at once? I think Cubase and Cakewalk are both amazing programs, a friend of mine swears by Cakewalk (and hates ProTools). I myself am a ProTools guy... it's not necessarily the best, but it's pretty universal.

What about the DigiDesign MBox with ProTools LE bundled with it? $449.99 US, like $700 Canuck:

http://www.music123.com/Digidesign-MBOX-Music-Production-System-i94488.music

Two analog inputs, with Focusrite preamps. 24-bit. S/PDIF digital on RCA. Mic/Line/Instr. inputs. 48-volt phantom power on mic pre's. Analog TRS inserts (for compressors, gates, EQ, etc). Dedicated headphone output w/ volume control. ProTools LE software.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    shit, i didn't realize the mbox has LE with it. that's a definite possibility then.

i may not actually have to use my preamp anymore but i would likely still use the compressor for my vocal and acoustic guitar line.

the maximum number of tracks i can do at once is two. either guitar and voice simutaneously or stereo from something so the mbox would be fine.

what i really like about the US428 (and the digi 002) for that matter, is the fact that it's still a physical device that resembles what i'm used to. but i'm sure i can learn anything.
    MBOX is winning at this point. i've asked around a bit and it's getting a lot of endorsement.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Originally posted by exhausted
    MBOX is winning at this point. i've asked around a bit and it's getting a lot of endorsement.

Once I get the funds together for a new computer (believe me, this is quite a ways down the road) I'll be getting an MBox with it. It has the right features, the quality hardware, and the software to back it up. It's a bit higher than competing boxes, but no other manufacturer can match the quality or software.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    what kind of power do the multitrack software packages have for doing final, 2-track mixes?

i don't need to do redbook (or whatever it's called) masters for cd duplication or anything. i just want to be able to produce decent sounding mixes. all i basically use sound forge for right now (and i only have the 16bit "studio" version) is to do a little bit of limited, normalization, trimming and gating the start and end of songs, some EQ, and sometimes the odd reverse effect or whatever. i'd like to avoid splashing $300US on sound forge 7.0 if i don't need it.

my ultimate goal here is to simply be able to bump up the sound quality and get away from 16bit processing.
    cubase system 4 just got added to the list of possibilities. better I/O and sampling than the MBOX.