fruity loops software vs. stand-alone drum machine

exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
edited May 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
any recommendations? i'm thinking of picking up an alesis SR-16 again but i want to explore the software side as well.

i've found fruity loops but i still haven't been able to determine what sort of range of drum samples it comes with.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    depends if you can manipulate them or not. I'd love to use more drums I just have to be able to manipulate the loop to fit my song.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    that's why i like the SR-16. i can create whatever i need. i just hate the interface.

i want a graphical drum machine.

it appears in fruity loops that you can build up patterns from individual samples but so far, i've only found a kick-drum patch that is included. which isn't good enough.
    Originally posted by exhausted
    that's why i like the SR-16. i can create whatever i need. i just hate the interface.

i want a graphical drum machine.

it appears in fruity loops that you can build up patterns from individual samples but so far, i've only found a kick-drum patch that is included. which isn't good enough.

chek Ebay for an old MPC from Akai.

That's what Dr Dre uses. I know you can come up with some nice drum beats on one of those.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=040503081238012178006131165966/g=dj/s=groove/search/detail/base_pid/705604/

that's what the 1000 looks like, the 3000 is much better but it's hella expensive too.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    rythym is so frustrating b/c it's an area where i have virtually no chance of getting the sounds in my head onto tape.
    rythym is so frustrating b/c it's an area where i have virtually no chance of getting the sounds in my head onto tape.

Precisely, when I finally get to buy a house. I'm learning to play drums. Electronic drums, so when I want to record them I don't need mic's I'll just hook the RCA's in to the recorder.
    i just tried fruity loops and while it's cool, i would only be using it for drums and i find it impossible to get a feel for rhythm on a computer screen. i need to have the pads to hit so i think i'll go with a standalone unit.

the akai's are cool but out of my price range.
    i just tried fruity loops and while it's cool, i would only be using it for drums and i find it impossible to get a feel for rhythm on a computer screen. i need to have the pads to hit so i think i'll go with a standalone unit.

the akai's are cool but out of my price range.

yeah when when you think about it you could buy a computer for 800 bucks.
  • olwiggumolwiggum Posts: 1
    You can find all kinds of samples for fruity loops on the net if you look. I have a bunch if you're interested.
    You can also get string samples and stuff like that to you around with.
    Originally posted by olwiggum
    You can find all kinds of samples for fruity loops on the net if you look. I have a bunch if you're interested.
    You can also get string samples and stuff like that to you around with.

i've seen some of those cds on ebay.

i've played around with the demo a bit more and i actually quite like it. i have an old version of acid right now but of course it's really only the "playlist" portion of fruity loops. FL lets you piece together your own loops much more easily.

unfortunately, FL runs like crap on my computer so until i get a new one, i'm SOL.