i found the holy grail of acoustic DI boxes tonight

exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
edited May 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
http://www3.telus.net/alcoholiday/guitar_pics/aphex.jpg

an aphex xciter. what an amazing little box. i was using a GE-7 to put some life into my acoustic signal and it just wasn't cutting it so i tried this out.

it's hard to describe but it's like a parametric EQ primarily i guess. it's like a BBE sonic maximizer but stompbox size (and aphex apparently was the originator).

and the best part: i can split to stereo running one line balanced DI and one line unbalanced 1/4". it sounds huge in my monitors.

quiet too. me likey.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    You get a new piece of gear, and you post a picture?

Why not a soundclip?
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    :rolleyes:

in time grasshopper.

i was busy setting things up for a friend who's coming to record a couple demos tonight.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Originally posted by exhausted
    http://www3.telus.net/alcoholiday/guitar_pics/aphex.jpg

an aphex xciter. what an amazing little box. i was using a GE-7 to put some life into my acoustic signal and it just wasn't cutting it so i tried this out.

it's hard to describe but it's like a parametric EQ primarily i guess. it's like a BBE sonic maximizer but stompbox size (and aphex apparently was the originator).

and the best part: i can split to stereo running one line balanced DI and one line unbalanced 1/4". it sounds huge in my monitors.

quiet too. me likey.

Glad to hear you like it. I wonder how that opto compressor is.

correct Aphex originally came out with the sonic maximiser. I believe it's called "big bottom" All those stomps are killer. I can't tell you how much better amps like mesa's sound with a maximiser, like a blanket is being lifted off the speakers.

You should get the electric model too.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    after hearing this acoustic model, i'm definitely considering getting the electric one as well at some point despite how happy i am with my electric sound right now.

and i was just going to post about the opto-comp but you knew about it already.

i will try to do some clips this weekend. i just got home late last night and was busy setting up so that my messy space could fit two people for recording.
    after hearing this acoustic model, i'm definitely considering getting the electric one as well at some point despite how happy i am with my electric sound right now.

and i was just going to post about the opto-comp but you knew about it already.

i will try to do some clips this weekend. i just got home late last night and was busy setting up so that my messy space could fit two people for recording.

I've heard mostly good things about that thing. I really want one too alas as the year goes on I find more and more things to waste my savings on as I'm still trying to find "the" strat I want. As soon as I get back from vacation, I'm ordering some more patch cables from Keeley and I'm going to trade my dynacomp that Telesonic fixed to my buddy at guitar center for either a Fatboost (they sell fulltone now) or potentially one of those Aphex's. Essentially I'm just looking to enhance the cleans.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    if you want to enhance the cleans, i don't think the fatboost is the way to go. great for overdriving but they really don't do anything for the clean signal in my experience.
    if you want to enhance the cleans, i don't think the fatboost is the way to go. great for overdriving but they really don't do anything for the clean signal in my experience.

yeah, same deal with the SHO although up to the point of od it ads an awesome sparkle. I'm mainly looking for the fullness that truely only comes from a 4x12 cab I think. The damn rat and DD sound so good toegther, although I'm getting bored with it. I'm looking to trade or find something different I think. I am so ready for my CC-2.

Know where I can get an 8 ohm 4x10/12 or 2x10/12 cab cheap?
    Originally posted by Pacomc79

yeah, true I linked that site. I need to look into it.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Originally posted by Pacomc79

10" speakers are the key, my friend...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.