if you're going to sell a vintage guitar

exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
edited December 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=47069&item=3768177260&rd=1

at least put some fucking effort into it. i've seen better auctions for $500 chevy sprints.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I was saying Boo-erns.

No way I'd pay 40 grand for that guitar. At least try and sell it, geez.

Maybe 25 tops.

I'd rather have a 1965 for 5 grand anyway. Aren't we supposed to play these things, a guitar should not come with a morgage payment.

Now a new Ferrari F430, I can live in that.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Cool guitar, but definately not worth the colledge fund. I think this could do really well with the "more money than sense" demographic though.

I buy musical equipment off ebay, but not a 40 or 25 thousand dollar guitar. I think I'd have to hold that baby before I made that kind of commitment.

Seems kinda like ordering a liver from Ireland.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    Seems kinda like ordering a liver from Ireland.

that was awesome.
  • Yah that is pricey,

I could see myself spending that much if I made 100k + a year. Make a savings account for a vintage guitar and put 5k a year for a few years.

On the other hand I feel really skeptical. Like how much better can that sound than my 2003 american tele. I know the quality of guitar building from fender was superb back then, but wood deteriorates. And my guitar weighs as much as that one and is made from 1 block of alder probably. Maybe it has some very fine differences that are better but I find it hard to believe that the sound difference is that much different or atleast not 34 000 worth of different.

Kinda like how certain epiphone Les Pauls are better than a Gibson standard les paul.
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
    it's purely an investment thing at this point. but if you're trying to sell something as an investment, actually document the piece to back your price up. like a neck and body date, pot codes etc. etc.

vintage instruments as actual players are hit and miss i would imagine. i want a mid-60s jaguar, jazzmaster or mustang though. badly.
    exhausted wrote:
    it's purely an investment thing at this point. but if you're trying to sell something as an investment, actually document the piece to back your price up. like a neck and body date, pot codes etc. etc.

vintage instruments as actual players are hit and miss i would imagine. i want a mid-60s jaguar, jazzmaster or mustang though. badly.

Trying to get tuning stability from a mid 60's SG (LYRE Vibrola) Jaguar or Mustang is like taking a bus ride through Tel Aviv.

It's all investment correct. If you want a player a custom shop with say kinmans is about as close as you'll get, though that 7,000 esquire I had the pleasure of playing once or twice was as close to the holy grail as I've been. I'm not worthy to touch the hem of it's garmet.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    i keep looking at japanese reissue jaguars that pop up once in a while. at least with a reissue i wouldn't feel bad about modifying it. but i want a genuine jag for the art of it. luckily, i'm not in the financial position to be buying guitars for such reasons.

that '70 mustang i had briefly was a bitch to keep in tune.
    http://southpawguitars.com/jagblu.html

a reissue i could get behind.
    exhausted wrote:
    http://southpawguitars.com/jagblu.html

a reissue i could get behind.

She's be-yoo-ti-ful.

I've always wanted a guitar in that color. It suits my mood.
    i've seen a jazzmaster in that colour in person. it is gorgeous. unfortunately, these things would cost me about $1500US to track down and that's just too much.
    exhausted wrote:
    i've seen a jazzmaster in that colour in person. it is gorgeous. unfortunately, these things would cost me about $1500US to track down and that's just too much.

yeah, and you'd need a Vox AC 30 or Orange AD 30 to pair it with too.
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    Trying to get tuning stability from a mid 60's SG (LYRE Vibrola) Jaguar or Mustang is like taking a bus ride through Tel Aviv.

It's all investment correct. If you want a player a custom shop with say kinmans is about as close as you'll get, though that 7,000 esquire I had the pleasure of playing once or twice was as close to the holy grail as I've been. I'm not worthy to touch the hem of it's garmet.

hahahaha holy shit is that funny, add a flak jacket though. You'll be better off buying, 10 or 15 custom shop used axes and letting them appreciate over time. And yes, they will appreciate if you know what you are buying.

The best vintage gear dealers in the world wouldn't try to dump this thing for this price. It is obvious he just wants to make a huge profit, which is cool; afterall, there is an ass for every seat.

Who ever made the statement you need to make 100K a year to buy an axe like this, well if you want to dump 50% of your pre tax dollars go for it. It just makes no sense. This is an investment for the collectors of the world, its just sad the damn thing will never be played.

There are tons of 57's and 58's out there in great shape for 10-15K with the paperwork to back them up. Just know what you are buying.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
  • Most people selling a guitar of this caliber would use an intermediary sales agent, who could dismantle, document, photograph, and re-assemble it to provide prospective buyers with a complete picture, and then present everything in a much more trustworthy fashion.

My guess is, this is a closet classic that the guy is trying to get quick money from. Assuming it's completely legit. Which is one reason why there are 4 hours left (right now) on a 10-day auction, and no bids.

I could expect an auction like that for a Fender manufactured after, say, 1970... but not a '54, especially considering this year is the 50th anniversary.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:

Speaking of that, my uncle let me use his '69 SG with the LYRE Vibrola and it wasn't too bad in the tuning department. I would say it was comparable to that of my Strat (2 pivot tremolo) before I put extra springs in and pinned the bridge down for stability.

With that said, I don't care too much for the sustain properties of the guitar. Don't get me wrong...the guitar is pretty sweet, but I prefer the stop bar tailpiece as opposed to the LYRE. Just my two cents...and I'm rambling.
    Cause I'll stop trying to make a difference. I'm not trying to make a difference. I'll stop trying to make a difference. No way!