built this / bought this

exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
edited April 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
so i built a feedback loop directly into my DS-1 to make all the glitchy radiofuzz noises i like so much.

http://minorlith.net/visual/gear/radio%20bomb.jpg

and then i got a great deal on a new fuzz factory (hand-painted version) so i took the plunge. already made a power plate for it too.

between these two pedals i can make all sorts of horribly wonderful noises. i only wish the DS-1 had some sort of gate like the FF. i'll have to look into that. i'm using a fuzzface/blackface patch in my pod for "normal" fuzz for now though i still may seek out a fulltone 69 at some point.

i had so much fun making music this weekend. i was even forgetting to eat/drink i was so preoccupied. i loved every minute of it.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    exhausted wrote:
    so i built a feedback loop directly into my DS-1 to make all the glitchy radiofuzz noises i like so much.

http://minorlith.net/visual/gear/radio%20bomb.jpg

and then i got a great deal on a new fuzz factory (hand-painted version) so i took the plunge. already made a power plate for it too.

between these two pedals i can make all sorts of horribly wonderful noises. i only wish the DS-1 had some sort of gate like the FF. i'll have to look into that. i'm using a fuzzface/blackface patch in my pod for "normal" fuzz for now though i still may seek out a fulltone 69 at some point.

i had so much fun making music this weekend. i was even forgetting to eat/drink i was so preoccupied. i loved every minute of it.

WOW. cool.

after seeing Bellamy's mansons last night my lust for a FF has been renewed.

69's can be had pretty cheap on Ebay.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    WOW. cool.

after seeing Bellamy's mansons last night my lust for a FF has been renewed.

69's can be had pretty cheap on Ebay.

they are beasts. it's not something that cleans up when you rolling the volume off either. it just oscillates differently. the gate saves it from being a terror. i've got it set so the notes sort of fizzle out into staticy death. i love it. i'm really happy with it.
    exhausted wrote:
    they are beasts. it's not something that cleans up when you rolling the volume off either. it just oscillates differently. the gate saves it from being a terror. i've got it set so the notes sort of fizzle out into staticy death. i love it. i'm really happy with it.

How is the monster DS-1? sounds cool. I've got to go ahead and trade my Dynacomp so I can start modding that wah. I might try to change the inductor on my Morley too.

I bet the feedback loop is cool. Cacophanic ocillition.

I've been impressed by that little BD-2 lately, the clarity is amazing. it's less gain than the rat but more controlled, I thing I may end up selling the rat soon.

After the Nash gets here, I'm going to get a 69 fuzz I think and by then maybe Love Pedal will finally have some Vibe pedals.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    i'll have to look at the soul bender too. too bad i can only go by clips.

i hate to subject peope to unfinished music but listen to this:

the fuzz factory is all the solo lines. the squeals on one side is the DS-1 with the feedback on. the actual fuzz from it is mixed too low to pick up but it's *really* fizzy. almost unmusical but in a good way. of course, the stock DS-1 is unmusical anyway. i really just use it for those squeals. pretty much any knob on the guitar or on any pedal that is engaged will change the osicallation on it.

http://minorlith.net/audio/good%20(draft).mp3
    exhausted wrote:
    i'll have to look at the soul bender too. too bad i can only go by clips.

i hate to subject peope to unfinished music but listen to this:

the fuzz factory is all the solo lines. the squeals on one side is the DS-1 with the feedback on. the actual fuzz from it is mixed too low to pick up but it's *really* fizzy. almost unmusical but in a good way. of course, the stock DS-1 is unmusical anyway. i really just use it for those squeals. pretty much any knob on the guitar or on any pedal that is engaged will change the osicallation on it.

http://minorlith.net/audio/good%20(draft).mp3

cool I'll check it out en casa.

PedalworX also makes a great tonebender at $150 called the Bender Over Under.

JofZ recommended it at one time but I think he's sold on that new Love Pedal BBB now.
    i've learned the FF *must* be used with a battery. running off the power supply results in too much added high frequency. i almost thought i wasn't going to like this thing much until i switched back to the battery and my faith was restored.

i hate using batteries though. oh well.
    exhausted wrote:
    i've learned the FF *must* be used with a battery. running off the power supply results in too much added high frequency. i almost thought i wasn't going to like this thing much until i switched back to the battery and my faith was restored.

i hate using batteries though. oh well.

no worries, the current draw is uber low on all ZVex stuff, you could get years out of 1 battery. but I hate it too.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    no worries, the current draw is uber low on all ZVex stuff, you could get years out of 1 battery. but I hate it too.

i know. i just like to leave my pedal chain intact all the time. instead, just have a gap at the front that i fill with whatever weird noise pedal i need at any given time, FF included. for everything else, the compressor sits there.

it's oscillations are much easier to tune with the battery too.
    exhausted wrote:
    i know. i just like to leave my pedal chain intact all the time. instead, just have a gap at the front that i fill with whatever weird noise pedal i need at any given time, FF included. for everything else, the compressor sits there.

it's oscillations are much easier to tune with the battery too.

makes sense, that's what they design everything for, If there was a regulator that would replicate a battery power perfectly that wouldn't matter I guess. It's just not all that possible, however, you have a PP2 right? Try it on the sag side and tune it.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    makes sense, that's what they design everything for, If there was a regulator that would replicate a battery power perfectly that wouldn't matter I guess. It's just not all that possible, however, you have a PP2 right? Try it on the sag side and tune it.

i was sagging it. the sagging itself was cool but the power itself makes the fuzz too fizzy if that makes sense. the pickiness of germanium.

i love it though. i got a solo line sustain to decay into osicallations at same pitch an octave down before dying like it got thrown in a blender. it was perfect.
    exhausted wrote:

i love it though. i got a solo line sustain to decay into osicallations at same pitch an octave down before dying like it got thrown in a blender. it was perfect.

Don't teese me.
    try one but keep in mind that doesn't have a lot of the properties of other fuzzes (clean up with volume rolloff etc). that and it has one volume; loud.

i still need a conventional fuzz if i'm trying to cover all bases.
    exhausted wrote:
    try one but keep in mind that doesn't have a lot of the properties of other fuzzes (clean up with volume rolloff etc). that and it has one volume; loud.

i still need a conventional fuzz if i'm trying to cover all bases.

69 fuzz. or just get Analogman to mod one of the Dunlop fuzz faces that can be had for like 50 bucks off Ebay.

you need to figure out what flavor you want though, germanium or silicon or both.

or the multitude of other copies. They aren't that expensive.
    i want all germanium. i'm watching a soulbender that ends in about 45 minutes. i liked the clips i've heard around. i didn't like the '70 when i tried it.

my favourite "regular" fuzz sound is gary louris' from early jayhawks records. that was an original fuzzface. so i'm watching a dunlop fuzz as well.
    exhausted wrote:
    i want all germanium. i'm watching a soulbender that ends in about 45 minutes. i liked the clips i've heard around. i didn't like the '70 when i tried it.

my favourite "regular" fuzz sound is gary louris' from early jayhawks records. that was an original fuzzface.

yeah the soulbender is obviously silly good but darker I'd like to have that, and the original fuzz face sound too. I'd like to have a bias control. (it's an addiction) really really it is. First step is admitting you have a problem.

did you check out the RX electronics Yardbox too?

I owe, Bill Nash 700 bucks so it might take me a while then again everything does. I want to trade the rat for a 69 fuzz. I think I'm going to keep the little blue wonder.

you should seriously check out http://www.lovepedal.com

the BBB is unbelievable although all battery.

and they have some other really cool stuff too like the COT 50 and the woody.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    I think I'm going to keep the little blue wonder.

i'm glad. it's a good pedal. the orange likes it i'm sure.
    exhausted wrote:
    i'm glad. it's a good pedal. the orange likes it i'm sure.

you just can't believe the clarity. it's a whole different character. Kind of Rat/Fuzzface at the top, but it cleans up too. The Barber Fattens it up.

It's wierd, instead of leaving the Barber on all the time now I leave it on and then engage the Barber on CB when I want distortion.
    good good. probably a better fit with that amp. both my HAO pedals have a slighty darker edge to them which makes them a better fit for my amp.