auditions start tonight

exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
edited February 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
2 or 3 of these 6 will be making the cut.

right now, my bets are on the compressor, one of the HAOs, and the vibromatic.

but i'll do a mini review of each one.

http://minorlith.net/visual/choices.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• that vibromatic looks awesome. and that delay is very uh... purple. overall i'd say thats one visually awesome group of pedals.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    initial thoughts: (all played through a fender deluxe reverb set about about volume 5)

maxon AD999: $460CAN. allegedly 900ms delay. probably the best sounding true analog delay pedal short of the moog which i don't even think is available. big minus, the echos start to ring mod above 600ms which is cool, but not ideal when you're trying to layer sounds with long delay times. big plus, the weird shit analogs do when you twist the delay time knob. in the end, i prefer the EHX memory man though. it's "only" 550ms but the echos are stable over the whole range and i like the added modulation etc. however, i have a line6 DL4 and neither the MM or the AD999 can top it. i really just tried this one for shits and giggles. still can't figure out why the maxon AD-9 is $410. the AD999 looks like a steal in comparison. the DL4 is just the ultimate delay pedal so i'm sticking with it. pass.

SIB mr. vibromatic: $175CAN a good vibrato effect however, i found the range in depth too narrow. the dual speeds is nice though they should have put an LED status for which one is selected. vibrato is nifty but i don't think i'd really use the effect. i'm a phase/univibe guy. pass.

voodoo lab superfuzz $185CAN: have this at the start of the effect chain (or at least receiving a non-buffered input signal) or it will sound like shit. also, make sure your amp is already overdriven. it's a pretty nasty fuzz and in the end, not much different sounding than my $75 double muff. tone and resonance controls are nice though. it's noisier (more hiss) than the double muff too. pass.

maxon compressor $175CAN: awesome. better than the keeley compressor i had and here's why. it's less of a squasher of loud than a stretcher of quiet and that's what i've always wanted. and i played with the attack on the keeley to try to make it better. it's quieter than the keeley too. :o so it'doesn't smush your attack but the sustain is fucking brilliant. keeper.

HAO rust driver $185CAN: plexi in a box. one level control and a 3-way EQ toggle (bright, normal, dark). definitely sounds pretty marshally but i found that it had too much ragged edge for my taste and i actually found it quiet, no matter how high it was cranked. i wanted it to boost a bit but it didn't seem to want to. pass. just not my thing. it kinda fell flat.

HAO soul pressure $215CAN: bassman in a box. yes it is. i loved this pedal. level, drive and a 3-way EQ switch (bright, normal, dark). this thing is smooth all the way through the gain range and the sound is much more my taste. does exactly what it says on the tin. sounds like a cranked, beat to shit, bassman. at least in front of my amp. it had life and sparkle where the rust driver just didn't. keeper.

so that's the initial result. i'll try again tomorrow and see if i still have the same opinion. the compressor and the sole pressure are definitely staying with me though. i think i'm going to keep searching for a good germanium fuzz. the double muff has my silicon-type fuzz covered. i need to try a fuzz factory but no one carries them here.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    thanks ex.

I need to try the soul pressure. I'm giving my dyna comp to my pal here for the same reason hoping he'll swap me an old wah pedal for it.

I'm looking at the Barber tone press still so maybe I'll review it soon.

nice to know about the maxon though thanks.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • I just tried a Sole Pressure yesterday and totally fell in love with it. Like Ex said, nothing harsh about it....just pure cranked bassman tones. WARM and SMOOTH. Now I'll just have to pawn off something out of my current setup to afford it.
    Cause I'll stop trying to make a difference. I'm not trying to make a difference. I'll stop trying to make a difference. No way!
  • Bassman in a box...

I like it.

So, it's a form of overdrive? Or...???
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    Bassman in a box...

I like it.

So, it's a form of overdrive? Or...???

yeah, just a different take on overdrive.
    so i took back the ones i didn't like. traded some crap in to cover the two i did like and had enough left over to get a vintage 30 for my amp.