please read this re: art and the music business

exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
edited July 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
http://www.matthewgood.net/library/shorthand/exertsfromspeech.html

this is part of the reason this man is one of my biggest influences.

"But after awhile i came to the realization that confusion is exactly what I should be talking about. Because if there's one thing that dominates the life of an artist, especially in the early stages of a career, its confusion."

"But I'd like to pose a specific question because you get an interesting answer every time you do. If you had the choice to be responsible for White Light White Heat, or the Milli Vanilli record which would you choose if you if you had one record to do it?

Which would it be? Would it be white light white heat? I'm hearing that more and more from everybody in the audience.

Why is that? Everyone loves money, right? The bottom line is that we're in the music business. Everyone loves the bottom line. But I ask that question and automatically White Light White Heat is the popular answer. Is it because 20 years from now White Light White Heat will be a relevant record and the other won't? Is that why? And is that more important than money? Is that more important than the loss of your integrity, or is money?"

"But strangely with musicians they have to produce something that's challenging and yet remain what you want them to be. It's a very dangerous thing to do because it breeds mediocrity. It champions mediocrity. One day you wake up and all the bands in the world are mediocre. They don't say anything new and they don't stand for anything, or believe in anything."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• djyman15djyman15 Posts: 181
    very well put, i totally get what hes saying, the conflict between the two. A battle that will probably always rage on, though it seems the other side is winning for now
    "Even if your heart would listen, I doubt I could explain"-Jimmy Eat World
  • cltaylor12cltaylor12 Posts: 125
    Originally posted by djyman15
    very well put, i totally get what hes saying, the conflict between the two. A battle that will probably always rage on, though it seems the other side is winning for now
    Agreed.