The Matt-less Shows and the Band's "Legacy"

heartofadogheartofadog Portland, OR Posts: 357
edited May 2022 in The Porch
This has been said by numerous others on this board but it bears repeating: most bands, down a drummer and with only a handful of shows remaining on an already relatively short leg of a tour (and with the majority of those remaining shows being somewhere short of sold out) would have likely postponed the dates and headed home in the hopes that Matt was feeling good to go by early June. Probably the most any other band would have done is just find a replacement drummer and grind out the last few dates (John Mayer did this when Steve Ferrone tested positive like a day or two into the tour, did one sort of patchwork show and then brought in someone else and played out the tour). 

Either of those scenarios would have been completely understandable. For Pearl Jam to find a way to take this set of circumstances and turn it into a way to give fans really unique, memorable experiences (possible frustrations on night two in Oakland aside) is really remarkable. This is why the band's fans are as dedicated as they are. This is why people travel across countries and continents to see the shows. For all the complaining about shorter setlists and which songs are/aren't getting played, I hope folks appreciate how much this band very clearly gives a shit about its fans; about putting on great, memorable shows as often as they possibly can. This is a band that could have very easily started coasting on its legacy twenty years ago, certainly could have done so after the RNRHOF induction. That the members of this band seem to individually and collectively understand where they sit in the lineage of great rock n roll bands, and how they carry that, is so impressive to me. You'd probably have to go back to Springsteen and co. to find a group of musicians who achieved this level of stardom and understood what it meant, where they fit in, and how important it was to honor that lineage and continue the conversation with their audience that delivered them to that level of success to begin with. 

The Stones 30+ years in made Bridges to Babylon but the shows (as anyone who saw the '97 tour can attest), were pretty bloated and hits-heavy (still great, but I don't know that each Stones show on that tour was its own unique event); likewise the Who, as great as they are, have been sort of just churning through their own hits jukebox for a few decades now, even after replacing Moon and Ox. 

Pearl Jam understood what it would mean to fans to see Krusen play those tracks from Ten with the band, and they did it on a fucking Monday night to a half-full arena in Fresno, with a singer who had food poisoning. Any other band — ANY other band — would have mailed that shit in, at best, and more likely just canceled the gig. 

I'm blown away by what they've done in Matt's absence. Sure, the band was not as tight as they would have been with Matt, and it sounds like Oakland two was especially bumpy, but I don't think anyone who attended these shows will think more about a thrown wine bottle or Ed pacing in circles than they will seeing Josh Arroyo play Ledbetter, or Kai sit in on MYM, or watching Richard Stuverud and Josh play WMA, or seeing Dave Krusen re-live 1991 with his original bandmates. What an incredible way for the band to handle a situation that very easily and reasonably could have simply ended the tour. 

I'm really impressed. I've said that countless times, for countless reasons, in 30+ years of listening to this band but I don't know that I've meant it more than I do now. 
1993: Portland, OR (09/06), Seattle, WA (12/07), Seattle, WA (12/08), Seattle, WA (12/09)
1995: Seattle, WA (02/05)
1996: Seattle, WA (09/16)
1997:
Oakland, CA (11/19)
1998:
Portland, OR (07/18), Seattle, WA (07/21), Seattle, WA (07/22)
2000: Bellingham, WA (05/10), Vancouver, BC (05/11), Mountain View, CA (10/31), Portland, OR (11/02), Seattle, WA (11/05), Seattle, WA (11/06)
2002: Seattle, WA (12/05), Seattle, WA (12/06), Seattle, WA (12/08), Seattle, WA (12/09)
2003: Vancouver, BC (05/30), Seattle, WA (10/22)
2005: Quincy, WA (09/01)
2006: Portland, OR (07/20), Quincy, WA (07/22), Quincy, WA (07/23)
2009: Berlin, DE (08/15), Seattle, WA (9/21), Seattle, WA (9/22)
2010: Berlin, DE (06/30)
2013: Los Angeles, CA (11/23), Los Angeles, CA (11/24), Portland, OR (11/29), Spokane, WA (11/30)
2018: Seattle, WA (08/10)
2022: Seattle, WA (02/22), New York, NY (09/10), New York, NY (09/11), Camden, NJ (09/14), Denver, CO (09/22)
2023: St. Paul, MN (08/31), St. Paul, MN (09/02)
2024: Portland, OR (05/10), Sacramento, CA (05/13), Los Angeles, CA (05/21), Los Angeles, CA (05/22), Seattle, WA (05/28)
Post edited by heartofadog on

Comments

• Foriginal SinForiginal Sin Posts: 1,770
    edited May 2022
    See Below 
    Post edited by Foriginal Sin on
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
  • Foriginal SinForiginal Sin Posts: 1,770
    edited May 2022
    Was Fresno really half full? Reminds me, kinda, of Phish I think in 1995. They played Vegas, sold out, show was typical Phish but fans were expecting more. Next night they played Utah, half full arena, and played 35 minutes of Dark Side of the moon front to back during a song and then finished the song. (*fun fact on July 19th 2013 during PJ Wrigley, the city of Chicago made Phish cancel their show mid song. The band started the show on July 20th at that exact point in the song). Maybe PJ was doing that kinda thing in Fresno (had Dave K even played 10 songs at a live show?) or maybe they are just covering their asses. 
    Post edited by Foriginal Sin on
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 8,985
    That Phish thing sounds awesome. So cool to start the next show like that.
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,117
    I believe you are weaving a bit of a  neat fan-biased quilt out of this scenario.

If pearl Jam understood what it would mean to fans to see Krusen, then why haven't it happened before during these 30 years? He could have popped up at any time for a song or two. If they understood what it would mean.

Not taking away how cool it was to text Krusen and getting him behind the kit.

A lot of money and headaches hang on cancelling gigs. I think any other band - ANY other band - seriously consider the consequences of cancelling a gig or not when looking over their options.

Other bands have had fans come up and play.
    Other bands have had drummers fill in. 

Metallica had the drummer in Slipknot in full makeup fill in for Lars. No one in full makeup has drummed for Pearl Jam yet. 

In other words, why aren't they calling Peter Criss. He's just hanging out in Jersey. Pearl Jam could cover the cost if KISS sues for the makeup use.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • SaravaSarava Posts: 2,019
    I believe you are weaving a bit of a  neat fan-biased quilt out of this scenario.

If pearl Jam understood what it would mean to fans to see Krusen, then why haven't it happened before during these 30 years? He could have popped up at any time for a song or two. If they understood what it would mean.

A lot of money and headaches hang on cancelling gigs. I think any other band - ANY other band - seriously consider the consequences of cancelling a gig or not when looking over their options.

Metallica had the drummer in Slipknot in full makeup fill in for Lars. No one in full makeup has drummed for Pearl Jam yet. 

In other words, why aren't they calling Peter Criss. He's just hanging out in Jersey. Pearl Jam could cover the cost if KISS sues for the makeup use.
    I would tend to agree with this. I think they want to move past the headaches and high costs of rescheduling gigs.

And they're likely prepared for this to an extent. When I saw Ed in Chicago back in February, Josh tested positive about an hour before showtime. They plowed forward there as well. I'm not saying josh was as important to Ed as MFC is to PJ, but the precedent is there. I'm guessing they have contingencies for anyone short of Ed missing a show.
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,521
    Not so sure more postponements are the answer here, after 26 months of delays, as long as reasonable alternatives exist. Covid is part of life now, so if investments in setting up a tour are made, every reasonable backup plan should be explored

Of course if the vocalist is out, that is nearly impossible to replace, but if one of the instrumentalists are out, they apparently planned ahead , had a backup plan with adding Josh to this tour. If two are out, then it’s a very tough decision.

• tusevuntusevun Posts: 231

This
  • OceansJennyOceansJenny Posts: 3,393
    Pearl Jam has historically not been shy about canceling/postponing. Hell the Earthings tour did postponements for Glenn just a few months ago. They take care of themselves first everything else be damned. Remember they canceled a show because of bathroom politics.

I agree with OP that they hung on for the last part of this leg for the fans. I doubt Ed went on stage feeling like complete shit because he was worried about the financial impact of canceling (LOL). The fans have been waiting so long for these shows and there isn’t room to move them a couple weeks like OP mentioned. After Matt got Covid they could have easily moved the dates to October but I think they held on for the fans.

Love this band.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • heartofadogheartofadog Portland, OR Posts: 357

I mean I would guess they haven't asked Krusen to play drums in 30 years because this is the first time in 30 years their drummer has been out with COVID? Krusen played with them at the RNRHOF and they released the recording. 

I think a fair amount of cynicism is reasonable and you're right, given the circumstances most bands would figure out a replacement, though my point was that this band figured out something that would be meaningful, memorable, and unique. 
    1993: Portland, OR (09/06), Seattle, WA (12/07), Seattle, WA (12/08), Seattle, WA (12/09)
    1995: Seattle, WA (02/05)
    1996: Seattle, WA (09/16)
    1997:
    Oakland, CA (11/19)
    1998:
    Portland, OR (07/18), Seattle, WA (07/21), Seattle, WA (07/22)
    2000: Bellingham, WA (05/10), Vancouver, BC (05/11), Mountain View, CA (10/31), Portland, OR (11/02), Seattle, WA (11/05), Seattle, WA (11/06)
    2002: Seattle, WA (12/05), Seattle, WA (12/06), Seattle, WA (12/08), Seattle, WA (12/09)
    2003: Vancouver, BC (05/30), Seattle, WA (10/22)
    2005: Quincy, WA (09/01)
    2006: Portland, OR (07/20), Quincy, WA (07/22), Quincy, WA (07/23)
    2009: Berlin, DE (08/15), Seattle, WA (9/21), Seattle, WA (9/22)
    2010: Berlin, DE (06/30)
    2013: Los Angeles, CA (11/23), Los Angeles, CA (11/24), Portland, OR (11/29), Spokane, WA (11/30)
    2018: Seattle, WA (08/10)
    2022: Seattle, WA (02/22), New York, NY (09/10), New York, NY (09/11), Camden, NJ (09/14), Denver, CO (09/22)
    2023: St. Paul, MN (08/31), St. Paul, MN (09/02)
    2024: Portland, OR (05/10), Sacramento, CA (05/13), Los Angeles, CA (05/21), Los Angeles, CA (05/22), Seattle, WA (05/28)
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,352
    Pearl Jam has historically not been shy about canceling/postponing. Hell the Earthings tour did postponements for Glenn just a few months ago. They take care of themselves first everything else be damned. Remember they canceled a show because of bathroom politics.

I agree with OP that they hung on for the last part of this leg for the fans. I doubt Ed went on stage feeling like complete shit because he was worried about the financial impact of canceling (LOL). The fans have been waiting so long for these shows and there isn’t room to move them a couple weeks like OP mentioned. After Matt got Covid they could have easily moved the dates to October but I think they held on for the fans.

Love this band.
    In Phoenix, Ed said that he had COVID in February, so I think the Earthlings postponements were because of that, not because Glen also had it.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,837
    Ed had Covid during rehearsals.  In think the postponements were due two band members being down.
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 13,498
    Ed had Covid during rehearsals.  In think the postponements were due two band members being down.
    True it was josh and glen 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,117

I mean I would guess they haven't asked Krusen to play drums in 30 years because this is the first time in 30 years their drummer has been out with COVID? Krusen played with them at the RNRHOF and they released the recording. 

I think a fair amount of cynicism is reasonable and you're right, given the circumstances most bands would figure out a replacement, though my point was that this band figured out something that would be meaningful, memorable, and unique. 
    True  

And it was cool as hell asking Krusen and having Krusen play. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"