now i know why jonny greenwood wore that arm brace

exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
edited July 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
i created a nifty drum loop in acid yesterday and as a result, spent the afternoon writing a pretty heavy (for me) piece of music. i've got a bit of a conundrum though when it comes time to sing over top of it though since i have not the rock voice. ugh.

anyway, i was writing and recording the guitar parts and playing pretty hard and i just noticed that i now have a *massive* bruise on the underside of my pick arm from where it kept hitting the guitars' bodies. it hurts like hell today.

even if it's not done i'll post the music tonight. i only a *wee* bit different when i have a drum track to build on. :p
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Can't wait.

And sorry about your arm, that sucks. Just try to be careful, you wouldn't want an injured arm to the extent where you can't play anymore.
    When this just feels like spinning plates.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    http://www3.telus.net/alcoholiday/music/walking%20(instrumental).mp3

well, there it is. such as it is.

i'm thinking of making collages of radio broadcasts from CBC or something for the "verses'. i have a chorus of sorts but i haven't put it in here. this is just the instrumental tracks.

i can't sing over this. i tried and it just sounds ass.
  • casper leblanccasper leblanc Posts: 1,246
    Like it. Has an Incubus edge to it, except for the chorus, which - if I might say - is somewhat easy and mellow compared to the hooks in the rest of the song.

Just my first thoughts. Great style change though, you easily get away with it.
  • pariahpariah Posts: 596
    Whoa now that's a style mutation! Me like... tho not as much as some of the others. It's the lack of vocals I guess. :rolleyes: You should try the radio thing, sounds cool.

What stuff did you record this with? Esp. guitar (dot?) and pedal?
    "Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world."
    the two main guitar tracks are:
    telecaster (bridge pup) -> BD-2 -> amp
    les paul (bridge pup) -> amp

the solo tracks are:
    epi dot (bridge pup) -> double muff -> static wah -> DL4 (sweep echo) -> amp
    epi dot (bridge/neck) -> ebow -> DL4 (low res delay) -> amp

the bass track:
    strat (neck/mid) -> OC-3 -> pod

on everything i have a barber launch pad boost the signals and pushing the amp harder.

drums:
    acid software

i honestly don't know if i like this piece of music or not. sometimes it sounds cool to me and other times it completely doesn't. but at least it was fun to make.
    Ah thanks...

It's a solid piece of rock music, it just sounds unfinished. I bet you'll be content when you put vocals or samples on top of it. And if it was fun to make it's all good anyway. :)

By the way, what's up with the strange volume fluctuations throughout the song? I don't know if it's my audio system or not.
    "Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world."
    re: the volume. that's weird. i haven't noticed that problem on my mp3 player. and the wave file itself is pretty evenly limited. but i'm having all sorts of issues with bass frequency swamping everything on decent speakers so that might be it.
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    I'm digging it man!
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • puremagicpuremagic Posts: 1,907
    Originally posted by exhausted
    http://www3.telus.net/alcoholiday/music/walking%20(instrumental).mp3

well, there it is. such as it is.

i'm thinking of making collages of radio broadcasts from CBC or something for the "verses'. i have a chorus of sorts but i haven't put it in here. this is just the instrumental tracks.

i can't sing over this. i tried and it just sounds ass.

Hope this will be around for a while. Don't have access to speakers.
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
    i'll keep it around for while for sure. in whatever state of completeness it is in.

by the way, if anyone has ideas on particular heinous things any political leaders have said recently that i could sample off soundfiles on the net, please let me know. i want to splice them together with really mundane snippets from other things (cooking shows, the view etc etc.) to use as verses.
    i kick ass. :p:o

first verse:
    left speaker: jimmy carter talking about the US's role in human rights throughout the world
    right speaker: news reporters covering policemen beating the shit out of students in california

second verse:
    left speaker: chairman of the FCC in 1961 talking about the shit that networks were producing (formula sitcoms etc).
    right speaker: spiro agnew talking about media conglomeration and bias in news reporting.

all thanks to the history channel's website.

now i just need one more really ridiculous statement for the little break and i'm done the sampling. right now, jimmy swaggart is leading the pack.

then i have to sing the chorus and it's done.
  • nailz100nailz100 Posts: 1,176
    Need a rock voice?
    Only with our eyes closed can we truly see
    nah. i ditched the song. i decided it's not my style so it'll go into the "unfinished" pile and remain there i'm sure.

i'm doomed to write quiet music but that's ok.
    Awwww....

Don't we even get to hear the unfinished speech thing version?
    i don't think so. it sounded kinda good but i decided it was just too heavy handed etc. maybe i'll finish it someday. i didn't delete the recording or anything.
  • casper leblanccasper leblanc Posts: 1,246
    OH COME ON!!! POST IT YOU CRY BABY!

I'd like to hear it ;)
  • miller8966miller8966 Posts: 1,450
    he wears it because his arm gets carpel tunnel
    America...the greatest Country in the world.