the front runner for a cabinet

exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
edited June 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
http://steamcomusic.com/avatar/documents/g212sp.html

i'm going to need to get a second hotplate too if i do end up gigging but that's looking less likely as the days pass.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    nice, I'd think seriously about greenbacks, to vary the flavor between that and your Deluxe a bit. Alnico's would be expensive but if you went half and half it might help bring out the bassman in that thing as well as the marshall, or it could completely suck, what do I know? :D.

you have examples of what you can do, I vote you print up a flyer with your website and your name and the stuff you've been on and that you want to start a band etc, put it up in a few local coffee houses, and it'll get done.

Oh, and knock the dust off the ric. It'll smoke in that sovtek.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i honestly can't decide what i want to do bandwise. i go back and forth constantly. i think i might be in love with the idea more than the reality though.

the ric is cased right now. it's not even out. terrible of me.

good call on the greenbacks. once the amp arrives, i'm planning on spending a morning just plugging into a bunch of different cab configurations in the shop to see what suits it. if i end up confined to home as now, i may just run it though my fender's speaker if it sounds ok. i've got the hotplate so power rating isn't an issue.

i'm ruling out 4x10s and 4x12s. it's overkill for my situation and i have a can't lift/don't play rule.

i'm not kooky about closed back cabinets which is why this particular avatar appeals to me but we'll see when the time comes.
    exhausted wrote:
    i honestly can't decide what i want to do bandwise. i go back and forth constantly. i think i might be in love with the idea more than the reality though.

the ric is cased right now. it's not even out. terrible of me.

good call on the greenbacks. once the amp arrives, i'm planning on spending a morning just plugging into a bunch of different cab configurations in the shop to see what suits it. if i end up confined to home as now, i may just run it though my fender's speaker if it sounds ok. i've got the hotplate so power rating isn't an issue.

i'm ruling out 4x10s and 4x12s. it's overkill for my situation and i have a can't lift/don't play rule.

i'm not kooky about closed back cabinets which is why this particular avatar appeals to me but we'll see when the time comes.

closed backs are certainly more forceful and IMHO more bass response. you may like the more esoteric open back sound. The sovtek is your dirty amp so my thinking was, a bit earlier gritter breakup a bit less wattage. The vintage 30 at 60 watts is going to be pretty forceful but not as full as the Lead 80's I think the greenbacks in a 2x12 would fit perfect. If it were EL -84's the open back would be very voxy. The 34's (not sure maybe 6L6's or 5881's in the Sovtek) either way are going to be more full sounding. 34's are tighter, 6L6's looser, and 5881's cleaner until breakup then lovely. You'll see what I mean when you plug in. The breakup on the greenbacks is masterful legendary, orgasmic.

For reference in the store, the Marshall 1960 TV cab is greenbacks.

The 1960AX's are Vintage 30's
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    cool thanks.

the mig's got 6L6s in it right now.
  • House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    mmmm... greenbacks for rock tones... mmmmm....

it's been said, legendary tones.

My friend had a Marshall JCM 800... it never sounded as good as when running through a 4X12 greenback cab... not with V30s, not with Fanes, not with eminence...

My personal favorite is g12H30s, but I also like el84 amps. so the extra bass helps.
    There's No Code.
    exhausted wrote:
    cool thanks.

the mig's got 6L6s in it right now.

nice. I've got a really good Idea about it then. The bass will be looser but it's full and solid a little deeper than a Marshall with EL 34's. Fender/Marshall blend. More glassy when clean. I know because my buddy has a 100 watt Carvin with 6L6's and a Schecter PT with Duncans in it. Your SG will thank you. Your ears will thank you.

Damn I love talking about this stuff.
    yeah, i look forward to digging into it. with any luck, it'll be here this week and i have friday off.
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    Those avatar's are nice cab's, and a lot of bang for the buck. Good choice! :)
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    I've always wanted to try mine with a Gibson Goldtone cab. It'd look funny, but I think it would sound great.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.