i think the epi dot modifications will start this weekend.

exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
edited July 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
i think i'll start improving the electronics on the dot this weekend.

i'll planning on upgrading the pots and reversing the wiring to make them 'left-handed' like my les paul is done. i'm going to replace the amber bell knobs with black speed knobs as well. i actually don't like the feel of the bells all that much so it's more than just a cosmetic thing.

then on monday i'll drop it off to get a graphite nut made for it.

i still haven't decided about the pickups. i may put gibson 57s in to bring it closer to a real 335 or go with some combination of seymour duncans but i don't know what.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    duncan seth lovers are exactly the same as gibson 57's.

good luck with the mods. Should be cool. CTS pots? Bumblebee caps? That'd be damn near authentic.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    CTS pots, yes. and good caps.

it's a toss up between the duncan seths and gibson 57s. they're pretty much the same price.

my only concern is the output. i like higher output. and a duncan JB in the bridge and a jazz in the neck would do that.

the JB/jazz is a cheaper option too but that's not a big concern here.
    well, I'd go with the JB and Jazz. you know you like them it's a very common combo and they probably owe more to the latter (burstbucker 59 Les Paul pickups than PAF's)

It's going to sound a little better to you with a little more output. go that way that's a nice match and it's custom.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    i wonder how hard it'll be to find a cover that would fit a JB.
    Originally posted by exhausted
    i wonder how hard it'll be to find a cover that would fit a JB.

well, you could write to seymour.
    i decided after talking with the people at the shop to go with gibson 57s. the price difference is minimal up here and the output level is close to the current pickups. i'll forsake the higher output in return for more character in the tone.

i also determined that there is no way i'll be able to do the install properly myself so i'll have to get a tech to do it. i can't deal with the limited access through the scroll. i'll get the nut done then too. this probably won't be until october or something when i'm done in the field.

so that left speed knobs being the only thing i can do right now. i think it looks richer anyway and i just find them easy to handle because they sit higher off the body and they are easier to read.

http://www3.telus.net/alcoholiday/guitar_pics/dot2.jpg
  • I just bought an Ibanez Artcore (335 copy) and dropped in a SD Jazz in the neck and a SD Custom 5 in the bridge. I love the jazz, and the custom 5 has a very balanced sound (warmer with less treble/ice pick sound). I think the JB's would be a little too much for a semihollow, IMHO. 57 classics are just what they claim to be....classic, so those are a good choice too. Most SD's and Gibsons sound good, so you can't really go wrong.
    Cause I'll stop trying to make a difference. I'm not trying to make a difference. I'll stop trying to make a difference. No way!
    i'm also entertaining the idea of putting a bigsby on it. but my fridge broke down so everything's getting put on hold.